Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My New G20 Limited

aggie dad

post-7096-1149719238_thumb.jpgpost-7096-1149719279_thumb.jpgThought some of you might be interested to see some pics of my new baby. It is a .40 KKM barreled G20, which has been modified by Caylor Custom Guns. I am really happy with the way it turned out; Mike Caylor does excellent work at reasonable prices.

Doug :D

allright, another large frame convert. welcome to the club! you should look into getting the slide lightened also.

I've got a pretty reliable load for this setup, just ask and I will post it.

good luck

allright, another large frame convert. welcome to the club! you should look into getting the slide lightened also.

good luck

Several of you guys on here showed me the light (Flex, Ray, Raul, et al)! I appreciate all the good advice I have received, and yes Glk21C, please by all means share your load data. I have not started reloading yet, but plan to shortly. Was going to go with Precision Bullet 185s, N320 (starting at 4.2 gr and going up from their based on chrono), OAL 1.18-1.19. I will at some point probably try to lighten the slide along with hard chroming it.

Thanks all,

Doug

good luck

Several of you guys on here showed me the light (Flex, Ray, Raul, et al)! I appreciate all the good advice I have received, and yes Glk21C, please by all means share your load data. I have not started reloading yet, but plan to shortly. Was going to go with Precision Bullet 185s, N320 (starting at 4.2 gr and going up from their based on chrono), OAL 1.18-1.19. I will at some point probably try to lighten the slide along with hard chroming it.

Thanks all,

Doug

You'll need more than 4.2gr at that OAL to make Major. Start at 4.7. My guess is that you'll make about 167 PF at 4.7 to 4.8 with that bullet at that OAL.

.40 180gr tc lead

OAL= 1.200-1.206 (I use a Lee Pro 1000)

4.7gr VN320

I buy the bullets from a friend of mine I shoot with on a regular basis. I chrono them out in between 167-171PF. At Area 6 last month the PF was 168. Area 8 last summer was 171PF I think. I have thought about tinkering with the powder amount just a tad to get it even closer to 165PF, but I'm close enough as it is.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it

Please of course don't go by my PF numbers, test them yourself too.

Good luck

+1 on bberkley.

4.2 might make a good steel plate load, but you'll be short on PF.

with the 4.5" barrel, you'll need at least 4.6 - 4.8 of N-320.

I too suggest loading long. I've experienced feed problems, not regular but some at short lengths. I would not go shorter than 1.170. Load as long as you can without the bullet engaging the rifiling. Just keep walking it out until you see evidence that the bullet is touching the rifiling. then back up .005 to .010".

Although the longer length may cause you to burn a bit more powder to make major, it also softens the felt recoil. At least that My experience.

Bottom line. Shoot what BBerkley said and see if that runs flawlessly. IF YES, Stop just run that.

Guys, I have Charlies drop in trigger kit (very nice incidentially)and a 15lb spring installed; given that, do you have any suggestions as to which primers to use? Also, what sort of PF does WWB typically make?

Thanks,

Doug

That is the first I have seen or heard about anybody having feeding issues loading at SAAMI length in 40. Interesting.

Being it is a 40 barrel, and not a 10mm, I was a bit worried about loading long. As mentioned, the fear here is engaging the rifling and causing a spike in pressure.

I haven't checked our KKM 40 barrel to see how far out you can seat, but I know I would before loading long.

(I'm not disagreeing with anybody, just adding extra words of caution.)

I load at 1.19 with the KKM in my G20 and it easily goes into the barrel, and if I try to chamber it in a stock G35, it has to be forced in. Naturally it doesn't fit the G35 mags loaded long. My conclusion was KKM figured you may load long cause of the bigger G20 mag and reamed out the rifling ahead of the chamber.