Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need Some Load Data

Sean Gaines

I will be shooting production here pretty soon and would like to get some load data. I did a search and the only thing I could find was either 9major loads or 9mm loads with 147grain bullets.

I have some 124grain precision Deltas on its way. I plan on using titegroup powder, since I use it for my .40 load and would like to keep the same powder. Also will be using Federal small pistol primers. I will be shooting it through a glock 34 with a kkm barrel.

I guess what I need to know is: How much powder are you using for your minor loads? and what is your oal, crimp etc.

Of course I understand to load below and work my way up, but need a good starting point.

Thanks

PK

ANY THING BETWEEN 3.8 AND 4.0 WILL GET YOU ABOUT 135pf USING THE 124.

Sorry cap lock was on!!

I use factory length and crimp is just enough to take the bell out of the case.

Hi

I just finished working up loads for IDPA/IPSC with my Tanfoglio "L" Model. I use Unique in the 9MM. Somewhat dirty but then I haven't found any powders that were what you recall clean.

4 gr of Unique under 125 gr FMJ and 124 gr lead boolits makes power factor of 125 in my guns, actually around 130 when chronoed with my Chrony.

Take Care

4.0 to 4.2 grains of a fast powder like TG and Unique are good under a 124/125. 6.5-7 grains of a medium speed powder like HS6 or AA7 will get you there too. I like to see PF up to at least 135ish with a light bullet in a neener. It shoots better that way IMHO.

As far as OAL goes, a good range for 9x19 is 1.115" to 1.150". Try something in the 1.130" to 1.140" range.

Crimp is a matter of taste, but generally you don't want to go any further than removing the bell from the case mouth and flattening the case against the sides of the bullet. If you can noticeably see a crimp, it is too much.

I'm shooting 2.8 or 2.9 gr (depending if I want 128 or 132 pf) of TG with a 147 HP Zero out of my G34. With a new barrel, expect to need less TG to get you there. I initially overshot what I believed to be a good load (3.0 to 3.2 was my initial guesstamation based on other shooters and acceptible pressures). I was not ever close to high pressure, but it really won't take much to get you there. Start low, you'll be pleasantly suprised.

I am loading to a 1.12 OAL, and have seen 1.13 OAL from others, but any more than that can get pretty snug in your mag. It could also get tight to the rifling in the KKM barrel too.

I am just barely beveling my cases for the Zero bullets. They have a recess in the back of the bullet, and don't require hardly any beveling to seat straight. I only bevel to avoid shaving the bullet when seating.

I am using almost no crimp. I take the bevel out and that's about it. Thumb test your rounds, but you shouldn't need hardly any crimp.

BTW, if the loads are really low (128pf ish), you will probably have to play around with your recoil spring to get a faster slide and better eject. I was initially using an ISMI 13# spring, and was getting hot brass dribbling out and down my right hand. (TG is a very HOT burning powder, so it was kinda distracting). So, I started cutting coils, and eventually ended up with the standard -4 coils cut off. It cycles great now, and no more burning sensation :blink: .

PK - My load is 4.2 grains of TG under a 125 grain Zero JHP loaded to 1.14" OAL. It runs about 1050 fps from my CZ-75B.

FWIW, factory hardball runs about 1.15" OAL, and that's where I would start with your bullets.

I just started loading my 34 for minor. I am using Zero 38 Super 125gr, TG 3.8gr, and an oal of 1.147. With the stock barrel. My PF is 128-130. A very smooth load.

I like a 145gr Lasercast over 3.4gr N320 or a 147gr plated/FMJ over 3.6gr N320 at 1.142 OAL out of my Glock 17 or 34. Lately I've just been shooting factory UMC 115gr since I'm pretty much out of the heavy bullets (have 1k 135gr Lasercast I should work a load up for). All my reloading time/effort lately has been 9mm Major.

I've been using the following in mixed brass (mostly WW)

4.3 grains Titegroup

124 grain FMJ/RN (either Zero or Precision Delta)

Federal Small Pistol primers (#100)

1.150 OAL

.375 crimp

chrono results at 10'

Taurus PT99: 1087 FPS/134.7 power factor

Glock 34: 1131 FPS/140.2 power factor

PO8 Luger (the original parabellum) 1047 FPS/ 129.8 power factor

As always, YMMV. Every gun is an individual, and what works fine in mine, may not work at all in yours. But finding out what works is part of the fun.