Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Extended Mag Release

I had trouble hitting the mag release on my new gun Mojo, so I put on an extended mag release. Jake told me not to, he said it wouldn't fall in practice but that a mag would fall in a match at the precise wrong moment.

I wanted the quick way out so I left it on rather than practicing my reload.

At the Little Big Match on the El Prez I turn, draw, ploop, there goes the mag. All I could think of was "Damn that Jake!" I dropped twice that day before I took it off.

I also forgot to turn on my dot on one stage.

LOL, I tried a mag button for the first time at a steel match a couple weeks ago. Yup, bang plop reload rack bang bang etc, I dropped the mag three times in the match inadvertantly. All three were the result of a bad grip but a guy is going to get a bad grip once in a while. Two of the three ended up being throwaway strings, but I had to eat the extra 2.5 seconds for the third time.

It came off, as soon as I got home!!!!! Thankfully I didn't have much money in it, I drilled and tapped the factory STI catch and used a cobbled up 'button'. If I had bought a drilled and tapped catch with a high zoot button I would have been REALLY mad.

I took the T_T way out and built up a guard on my grip to block the button from being pressed. I'll post a pic when I get a chance. I can't reach even an extended button with my thumb on a fat gun, and I have to shift the gun pretty significantly to get there. T_T turned me on to using JB Weld to build up some guards on the frame to prevent the left hand from getting on the button - works like a champ...

Okay so how come I never drop a mag in a USPSA match shooting Limited with my Edge, but use the same gun in a steel match and I dropped the mag twice in one day? :wacko:

It's called "TENSION" :lol:

Okay so how come I never drop a mag in a USPSA match shooting Limited with my Edge, but use the same gun in a steel match and I dropped the mag twice in one day? :wacko:

Cause you have to establish your grip more times in a steel match than you do in a whole year of USPSA shooting. :)

(That tension thing has legs too. ;) )

I like to use an extended mag release as it let's me shift my grip less when I reload. I have, however, in the past had the mag drop problem on certain draws when I just did not get the grip right. This was specially a problem with my weak hand shooting.

Part of the cure was more practice draws as I found this to be the single most important thing for accuracy and speed specially on short courses. If I can get the grip right every time it makes a huge difference in my times. A bad grip just screws every thing up before I get started. I once had an early master class shooter (before there were GM's) tell me he knew when he was going to make master because he could actually adjust his grip as he drew.

With that said I found that if I removed the lower half of the extended mag release I never hit it on the draw. My left had went neatly into this space even if I miss the draw just a bit. YMMV. There still is the problem of the table start, but you can handle that other ways such as laying the gun on the other side and practicing picking it up that way. If it's an open gun no problem there with a slide racker.

quote name='Paul B' date='May 31 2006, 07:29 AM' post='413496'

Part of the cure was more practice draws . . .

This is the cure for a lot of things.

I used the extended release for years on my Para because I thought I needed it. Unlike most S_I's, this meant that on table draws the gun rested on the release, requiring a perfect pick up to avoid dropping the mag. Well, I finally got good at doing it and it was not problem. Then I had Matt McLearn build me a gun on an STI frame. I forgot to have him put in a tapped release. So I get the gun and order one right away because I'm sure I can't live without one. It got backordered. By the time it arrived I realized I niether NEEDED nor WANTED it. :(:)

(By the way, anyone else having problems with the quote function on a reply? I can't get the quote box to close properly)

(By the way, anyone else having problems with the quote function on a reply? I can't get the quote box to close properly)

It's working OK for me.

It seems to be sporadic. Like it is working on this post. But on others, the box doesn't close. If I put in an additional "/quote", then there is no quote box at all.

Weird.

No. :P

Big mag release got to go. Gun must be 100% all the time to improve my average....

• 2 weeks later...

I made this really big button on my lathe for my SV. I was real proud of myself. I made it about 5mm thick to raise the gun off the table and I put a heavy spring on it to prevent accidental release.

I never had a single problem grabbing it off a table. However, during a classifier at a Sectional, I had to switch to weak hand and shoot. Every dang time I pulled the trigger, the mag dropped out. I did it 4 times before I finally gave up and was standing there staring at my gun.

For some reason it wasn't obvious to me what the problem was. I guess I was still thinking that I didn't get the mag loaded all the way. Anyway, the RO leans over and says, "It's that damn big button!" ........Oh, OK.

The button came off.

Darren

PS: Forsale: Large mag release button. $25.00 :)

Edited by ExtremeShot