Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Svi Mags Or Sti Mags

Cjblackmon

I shoot an Edge 40 right now with STI mags and Dawson Pads and Grams Springs and Followers (19+1, 20+1 if I squeeze it in, but not reloadable).

Although the mags work fine they drop slower than molasses. Some have said to polish them with steel wool while others have advised against it (taking material off).

I was also thinking of having the mags chromed but was also told I may have problems since you're "adding material".

I'd like something other than just a quick fix, like Mag slick.

I was thinking of buying a set of SVI Mag tubes and building a new set of mags. What are your thoughts?

Edited by Cjblackmon

Find out where on the grip they mags are scrubbing/binding and remove a small amount of plastic from that spot. You will likely find a small "burr" or mold seam at that spot. Once the raised area is removed, all the mags will fall out at the speed that gravity (plus spring pressure) dictates, regardless of brand.

Leo

There's a lot of info on the forum about tuning tube dimensions, too. Your tubes might be slightly oversize, and a little squishing in a vise might be in order... ;)

Not really sure if this your case, but I discovered (much to my displeasure), that the relief under the trigger guard I cut on my SVI grip was a bit too much.

Every time I pushed the mag catch, I was involuntarily squeezing the grip which, being thinner in that area, was dragging on the mag to be ejected.

All of a sudden I was no longer having drop-free mags, and it took me some time to figure out why.

Before checking your mags, try and release them without gripping the gun, to check if it's agrip squeezing problem or not.

Edited by Skywalker

the relief under the trigger guard I cut on my SVI grip was a bit too much.

Every time I pushed the mag catch, I was involuntarily squeezing the grip which, being thinner in that area, was dragging on the mag to be ejected.

I had the same problem. I had the grip replaced but I can still keep the mag from dropping with grip pressure.

Thanks for your input. The theory of me squeezing to hard or the trigger gaurd being trimmed to high is not the culprit. I will check for rough spots inside the grip.

One other thing. I'm using the Grams Springs and Followers and we trimmed the followers but the followers do not go all the way to the top of the tube. It does however go up high enough to have the last round cycle, but I don't have that added benefit like I do with a traditional 1911 and having the follower touching the slide and having the magspring assist in shooting the Magazine out when the mag catch button is pressed.

Input???

With the .40 cal, I have found that if a tube won't drop free (after checking the grip for interior imperfections and the sear spring for sticking through the grip) it is more often than not a result of the tube being a bit larger (dimensionaly) than those that "fly" out of the grip. Some judicious "squeezing" ( normally front to back not the sides) brings those slow pokes back in line.

A good test of a mag tube is to just place the tube (no guts) in the frame and "gorilla grip" the grip and see if the mag drops freely, if not a vise can help shape them up.

Edited by Crusher

Chad

You could try marking up the mags with a Sharpie [red works well] & run them in & out of the gun, then look for rub marks.

The STI mags that I got - tuned by Dave Dawson - all have one spot at the right rear of the mag, where they start to taper to the top. Looks like he took a hammer & punch to make the mags just a touch smaller at that spot.

I'll show you on Sunday if you're going to the St. Pete match.

The advise to hold just the frame and look down from above at the mags seating, that's good too. Especially if your mags are touching the ejector or the inside of the grip-screw bushings.

I actually had one St mag holding and marked it with a red marker placed it in the pistol and found a high spot on one of the ridges. Filed off the high spot and it's good to go now. I run both sv & st and find no differance however the sv is simpler if shooting 9mm. If all fails send Bevin both the mags and lower. I would guess it's the interior of the grip if all the mags stick! Old John

After checking everything as previously described...............

I use STI mags (38 Super- Open gun) and like to give gravity an artificial assist to get the mags out as quickly as possible. I have Limcat brass basepads on the ones I start a stage with (the ones that need to be dropped). I also use a strip of lead tape around the bottom of these mags, just above the basepad, for just a little extra weight at the bottom end. You can buy the tape at any golf supply store, used to weight golf clubs.

Works for me :)

I should design a electronic magwell that's magnetic and have magnetic basepads.

Push the mag release button and the magwell reverses polarity and shoots the mag out.

Release the Mag button polarity of magwell goes to normal and and aids in grabbing and seating the mag.

You can see hw my mind works.

Just don't get your fingers in the way when the mag-neato magwell sucks the mags in at light speed. Turn up the power and it could suck the mag right off your belt! You wouldn't even have to dismount the gun! Brilliant!