Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How Much Rides On Equipment?

I am getting in to the cycle of spending money on guns I don't need or guns that are redundant. I have a G35(good limited gun), Para 14.45 Limited(good limited gun), CZ-97(rarely shoot), CZ-75(great production gun), SA XD-40 Tactical(that's about all I have to say for it). I don't think I will ever sell any of them, but I am realy not progressing in limited with the Para. That got me thinking about an S_I. That got me thinking about Open. But what I realy want to know is how much of performance is based on equipment? I am sure that most of you could clean my clock with a HighPoint. Do I realy need all the fancy stuff or could I shoot the best of my ability with a used para or Glock?

If any of what I said made any sense, I would appreciate your input.

The guns will shoot better than you. Buying a new gun IF you have one that is reliable and functions 100%, fits you, has good sights and a good trigger won't help you much IMO. Spending some $ on training with a good instructor is probably money better spent. Technique and knowing how to train is very important.

Edited by Loves2Shoot

If your equipment is reliable, reasonably accurate, and fits you properly, it's almost 100% the shooter. Put a different platform in the hands of the same shooter, and his overall performance might vary some (for instance, I'd expect just about anyone to shoot a higher hit factor with an Open gun than with a Production gun), but that shooter will generally shoot to the same performance level regardless of equipment.

You might look at a little bit of tuning on the Para, and make sure you've got 18 round mags, etc. But, other than tuning for exact feel you want, approrpiate sights, appropriate mag capacity, etc, it really all comes down to you.... ;)

Instead of buying a new gun, at this point, why don't you look at ammo and some skilled instruction - that should make a much larger jump in your performance, if you apply yourself and practice what you learn...

Edited to say.... "Er, or what Scott says..." posting at the same time... ;)

Edited by XRe

As far as tuning the para, it has a real nice trigger(it slam fired after about a month of having it and the dealer sent it to a real good local smith who did a beautiful trigger job at no cost to me) but I have been thinking about a .40 top end. It just dosen't make sense to handicap myself recoil and capacity wise with the .45.

As far as relibility, the sights have been the biggest pain in my butt. My next match is in a week and I think I have the bugs worked out so I will have to see.

Okay, I've seen this before.

This is the part where dozens of folks chime in and start talking about arrows and indians.

If you have "hit the wall" in your progress that is normal and will pass without buying a new gun.

In fact, the learning curve on new hardware may even set you back.

That having been said, if you want to buy into a different division such as open or try a different type of gun in a division you already shoot, that's fine.

Just be aware that there's nothing on the market that will turn you into TGO overnight.

If there was I would have three of them by now.

Tls

Edited by tlshores

It just dosen't make sense to handicap myself recoil and capacity wise with the .45.

You'll find some discussion on this forum regarding this subject... If you're reloading, .45 can shoot awful soft, and 2 rounds of capacity *can* make a difference in some situations, but you're really not as handicapped as you might think shooting .45 on the Para platform.

What's your objective, here?? Hoping for an equipment related quick fix, or trying to improve your skills?? ;):lol: If the gun is reliable and accurate as it is, and you have the highest capacity mags you can get for it (which I think are 18rds for Para in .45), fix your sights to something you're happier with, and practice a bunch.

That said - even if you have the most reliable and accurate equipment in the world, if you're not confident in it, get rid of it and get something new... Or fix your head :lol: You'll have a hard time improving if you're doubting the gear the whole time. What everyone's trying to tell you is to not doubt the gear - but sometimes we get stuck there.

Equipment won't resolve much, if it's already working properly and shoots accurately. You may see certain improvements if, say, the current stuff doesn't fit you well, or something. Other than that... it's all you... ;)

You are right, I may be looking for a quick fix. Money would probly be better spent in a dillon than a new gun.

On another note, I have Brian's book, but for me I think a prequil might be in order. Something like Practical Shooting:Remidial Basics; or Practical Shooting For the unZen Dummy. :D

Sometimes changing guns can help. I learned a ton about how to reload by shooting a G21 for a bit this spring. I went back to the STI, but I went back to the STI with a MUCH better concept of what constituted a solid reload. Wouldn't have happened had I not made the switch temporarily.

Provided your gun is reliable and you are not having fundamental ergonomic issues reaching/manipulating the controls, your #1 best investment is always dryfire time and ammo.

Edited by EricW

Money would probly be better spent in a dillon than a new gun.

Reloading is one area where spending some money on equipment could make a serious difference for you. You can tailor a load to your gun that sits at 170PF and shoots a *lot* better than what you've got now - shooting factory .45, you're in the 190PF range!!!! It'll certainly work, but... Factory .40 is pretty stout relative to competition loads, too.

You may not save a bunch of money on ammo reloading it yourself (though some savings are definitely realized, no doubt - but you end up shooting more, usually, when you're loading the ammo, so it evens out :) ), but you'll have a much more manageable load to work with....

On another note, I have Brian's book, but for me I think a prequil might be in order. Something like Practical Shooting:Remidial Basics; or Practical Shooting For the unZen Dummy. :D

Check out Burkett's stuff - Vol. 1-3, and also the Practical Shooting Handbook. Good "primer" material!!! Vols 4 and 7 when you're feeling slightly more advanced... Also, don't overlook Steve Anderson's dryfire book, and Saul Kirsch's two books - lots of good stuff in those...

I shot for about 9 months with a P14, was shooting low B class by the end with it. Spent a bunch of money on an STI 40 from a known smith, right out of the gate I gained a little but only because the STI had a magwell on it and my P14 didn't, I could pick up a couple tenths on each reload by not having to be PERFECT. I guess I also picked up a little on courses between 16 rounds and 20 rounds for the whole course, I was using one 15 and 3 14 round magazines. The times where the STI helped were very very few as most courses are either less than 16 or more than 20 around here.

The 40 is dead solid reliable, extremely accurate, has a trigger that you have to pull to believe, fantastic sights, and all the bells and whistles. It wasn't until I shot it for a while that all of that came together and I ended up picking up about 5-7% (just a guess).

I could have made the same gains with the Para. The new gun revived some interest in dry fire, and revived some desire to do well. In the end I was most of the gain but the gun brought it out.

Desire to improve and willingness to work for what you get are what will set you apart. If a new gun will motivate you then by all means get one. If you can do it without the new gun it would be better for the practice budget and all of that. I think you would best be served by finding out what you need to kick yourself in the pants without buying a new gun but I won't talk anyone out of a new gun. That is a disease I don't think I will ever be able to control.

I like what everyone has said already.

I will only add that you can WIN matches with a 'used 2nd gen. Glock 17' ........ consistantly. The gun has to 'feel right' to you, but it's more the shooter and the training, than it is the gun.