Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder Mix-up

Big Shooter

I'm sitting at my 650 loading .223's. Went to reload the powder hopper, said to myself: "HHHMMMM, that looks like different powder in there...???"

I just discovered I loaded several hundred rounds with 23 grains of Titegroup, NOT 23 grains of 2230-C like I was supposed to be. Using 62 grn FMJ's.

I think I know the answer already, but is there any chance that these two powders are actually similar enough that I won't damage myself or my guns if I shoot them???

What's gonna happen if I shoot these?

No preaching, please...I know, I know....

Buy a bullet puller if you don't have one; much cheaper than a new rifle plus medical bills. A rifle case full of pistol powder is almost certain to destroy the rifle and possibly hurt the shooter. Learn from the mistake, it could prevent a bigger problem in the future.

I've read that cam-lock bullet pullers which mount in a press do a good job of pulling the bullet with very little damage. If you go this route, let me know how well it works.

Edited by 1911user

While several hundred rounds of .223 isn't cheap-o-la, you'd rather throw those away than even begin to think about shooting them ;) Pull 'em or discard 'em.

There are some pictures floating around of an AR that had a case loaded up w/ fast pistol powder (I'm recalling Bullseye? a little faster than Titegroup, but close enough for our purposes here). You would be doing good to escape serious injury if you lit one of those off....

It's going to blow up your rifle and you with it.

Yup. Don't even *think* about it. Someone before you already tried and blew up their rifle on the first shot. There's pictures of it around here somewhere.

Not giving you a hard time cuz I've done some pretty bone-headed things in my life, much worse, really, than this. Glad I don't have to share those things with everyone here.

But this situation is why most reloaders who reload several calibers NEVER have two types of powder on the bench at one time. Many empty their powder measures faithfully back into the can and put that can of powder away when they quit reloading for the day.

I have never gone quite that far, but I do place the powder container just behind the press where I can see what it is and never have a second one on the bench while the first one is there.

BIIIIIIG difference in blowing up a rifle and blowing up a handgun. The rifle becomes sort of a grenade, the bolt comes straight back and guess what's there to stop it? That's right-your face. The chamber blows outwards and usually the left hand catches the worst of it. I have never seen someone killed from this, but I am aware that it has happened and is not uncommon.

Listen to these guys, bite the bullet (so to speak) and pull the bullets. If you choose to discard them instead, please make sure it is in some manner so some guy like me doesn't think he's found the mother-lode, pick 'em up to try them out.

I feel your pain (sort of) as you pull these bullets, but that's probably your best choice.

Good luck,

Bob

Edited by straightshooter1

I have a bud who blew up a mint 03 springfield, sent the top of the receiver thru the roof, into low earth orbit, had schrapnel bounce off his thick skull. blood every where, luckly other than a few scars, there was no perment injuries. the cause, he some how mixed up titegroup for W748, he gave up re-loading rifle right there on the spot.

like the others have said, pull the heads, salvage the components.

unless you know how to get it to osama bin landin ^_^

Midway currently has the Hornady cam-lock puller on sale for about $14...well worth it...since you'd only get to shoot one of those loads at the most... ;)

/Bryan

Those two powders are nowhere near the same burning characteristics.

I rank Titegroup at #21 and AA-2230 at #135. The lower the number the faster the powder.

Either pull the bullets or take the cartridges to your local police bomb disposal unit for detonation.

Those two powders are nowhere near the same burning characteristics.

I rank Titegroup at #21 and AA-2230 at #135. The lower the number the faster the powder.

Either pull the bullets or take the cartridges to your local police bomb disposal unit for detonation.

Damned funny - to be so true.... A double charge of TG will peel a .40 back like a banana. Ask Sandoz what it does to a top quality barrel and slide. I can only imagine what 5 times as much would do.

A good reason why I always empty the powder measure when I am done loading. Even if I am going to load the same thing the next day. I figure the little extra time it takes is worth it.

Good habits after 20+ years of reloading keep me from hurting myself.

Neal in AZ