Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Long Range Prone Shooting

nhglyn

When shooting 40+ yds from a prone position with an open gun should you use a long stick and rest the basepad on the ground? Or use short stick and rest on elbows with gun not in contact with ground? Thanks.

Using a long mag and resting it on the ground can be bad juju - it can push the magazine too far up into the gun, resulting in jams when the slide contacts the magazine on the way forward.

You should always strive to have the gun in solid contact with the ground, if possible for the position you're shooting - it gives you a solid platform, whereas the "rested elbows" thing is actually a lot weaker than your normal stance, and much slower to shoot from.

Find a short mag that doesn't jam the gun when you rest on it - sometimes, it helps to find a 126mm mag and basepad combo that prevents the mag from seating too deep. If they gun runs 100% rested on a long mag, well... you've got a special combo, there :) Use it, if it works...

If possible rest the heel of your hands on the ground. You should be semi-rolled onto your side, not flat on your stomach. As always try a couple variations, and find the one that works best for your shooting style and body shape.

XRe

Respectfully disagree with resting the pistol on the ground.. :P Similar to resting a rifle on a solid rest ...changes the POI shot to shot..

At the ranges we shoot at, the change in POI is negligible if you do your job (which includes, <gasp>, practicing prone a few times so that you know how to get your head behind the gun correctly, and you know where the gun hits when shooting prone).

Your gun and mags will let you know what you can get away with. The key to shooting prone in any fashion is to get the pistol and a solid base, which is generally the hands (on the ground) or your magazine well if it is big enough. Some folks at Bianchi have prone pads (think of an exaggerated mag well) for this very reason.

Resting my gun directly on something other than my hands does not work for me. When I try it with a rifle, the rifle rebounds away from the object. In an IDPA match a few months ago I tried resting my pistol on a table, and threw several shots over the target.

When shooting prone I put my elbows on the ground and raise the gun off the ground. This can also solve the problem with the hat blocking the sight picture, depending on how high you raise the gun.

Back when i shot open for 12 years, I alway's rested the bottom of my 170mm mag. on the ground & also the bottom of both hands. The point of aim never changed & could shoot all A's this way.

Gun, hands, forearms, elbows...I get as much in contact with mother earth as pssoble. And, I put downward pressure (weight) on all of it. This means I am not in a flat (iso) postion. I am more angled off to one side (weaver'ish?).

I turn my hat around too.

(maybe Brian or Bruce will give us some insight as to how the Bianchi guys do it at the top of the score sheet)

• 3 weeks later...