Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Idpa/uspsa Distances

Frank79

There is a USPSA classifier that goes out to 50 Yds (03-10). Stage 8 from the 2006 Golden Bullet had some interesting distance shots (along with a Texas star). The most I have seen is about 45 yards. There was a side match* at an IDPA state match where they had a popper at 80 yards.

Later,

Chuck

* side match: something for the shooters to do while the scoring is not finished.

I was about to say 25 yards since that's the max I see, but you'd better listen to Loves2Shoot.

15 yards is a good practice distance for "most" shots, with a lot of them being closer.

As others have stated, 50 yards is about the max you can expect to see. For that reason - if possible - I would suggest trying some shots at that distance. Just so you know where your sights are at.

Being able to shoot tight groups at 50 yards will not hurt your shooting at all. If you can keep all the shots in the A-zone at that distance then a 5-20 yard target is going to look like a barn door.

Accuracy is kind of a lost art in some USPSA/IPSC circles.

If you have access to a range that goes out to 50 yards then by all means make the most of it, you won't see that distance that often in a match but when it comes up you'll be the one with a grin on your face. :D

Very rarely do I see anything over 20 yards, and if I do it is usually an open target or popper. Honesly, a 30 yard metric target out in the open is not hard to hit at all. I don't see many long targets, but a target at 15 yards with hardcover tight on one side and a no-shoot tight on the other side is a LOT more difficult to hit at speed anyway. I DO see quite a few tight shots on closer range targets.

Don't worry about stacking bullets at 40 yards right now, figure out how fast YOU can put a bullet exactly where you want it at 5 to 20 yards. That information will be quite valuable in the beginning. On the tight shots you have to be VERY precise in placing the shot, if you can place a shot exactly where you want it at 15 yards you can easily keep the in the C at 50.

To quoted the IDPA rule book:

"75% of all shots required in a match must be 15 yards or less. Occasional targets out to 35 yea5rds are to be encouraged."

The others previous posts describe IPSC as I know it pretty well.

The interesting thing is, if you've ever done any Handgun metallic sillouette shooting, pepper poppers even at 50 yards are huge compared to those dang chickens at 50 m. Don't get me going about those 150 m turkeys :D

Occasionally I'll practice for long range targets, but I find that I can shoot my 610 at longer ranges in double action more accurately than any of my bottom feeders. I don't know if it's because I started shooting handguns on revolvers all those years ago and have the inherant accuracy down, or if it's a mind game and if my other guns were zero'd at longer distances, if I'd do just as good with practice.

I know that at our club, we hardly get anything past about 35 yards but then it's hard to get a 50 yard shot without shooting on the diagonal at our range.

Vince