Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Singlestack Build

GeneralChang

Are they singlestack legal?

Yes they are...and as L2S says... They Are awesome! ;)

I know it was posted in another thread that a ruling was made at the highest level that they are legal as long as the finished product fits in the box, but I think that might be subject to future debate or contention. It is a unique frame that uses a unique mainspring housing. The requirement is that component parts duplicate factory originals.

Pistols in this provisional division must be available to the general public and have their

basis in the original 1911 service pistol. Pistols made from components that duplicate the

factory originals are also acceptable.

I like the Caspian Race Ready with Tactical Option. (Removes the front lip of the integral magwell.)

As far as the unique mainspring housing, If the requirement is that component parts duplicate factory originals, then where does that put S&A Magwells?

Alan

I like the Caspian Race Ready with Tactical Option. (Removes the front lip of the integral magwell.)

As far as the unique mainspring housing, If the requirement is that component parts duplicate factory originals, then where does that put S&A Magwells?

Alan

Add on mag wells are specifically allowed by the rules. The recon option (i.e. a light rail) is specifically not allowed.

Remember the rules are provisional and all this stuff will get a second look, but for now... that's just how I read the words. Forewarned is forearmed.

Edited: I confused the tactical option with the recon option in my original response. The tactical option would be a must have for me on a frame with an integral mag well.

Edited by Steve J

Does anybody have any experience building on STI's Single stack frames? The have the single stack frames available in the Slide to Frame fit kits. Seems like it'd be a great way to build one.

From what I've read, STI's magazine release/catch is slightly out of position, so you'll always have potential issues using other people's magazines. Maybe someone who runs a Trojan can confirm, deny, or clarify.

IF you are building a single stack-there are lots and lots of options. As many mentioned Caspian frame is good.

You can also get frames from but not limited to:

Wilson-but you have to get their ejector

Baer-you may need to get Baer parts also since it seems as if they have their own specs.

Rock River

STI-I believe this is a cast frame, their bar stock is no longer available?

SV-excellent frame and big bucks like the Baer frame

Maybe Nowlin also.

I think Caspian and STI frames are cast. There are some excellent writings on the pros and cons of cast v. barstock on the 1911 Forum. In summary, a good quailty frame is a good quality frame regardless if it is cast or barstock.

Caspian will work with you, they will fit the frame to one of their excellent slides. This can range from a complete fitting to 90% where you finish it up.

Single-Stack. The way to go comes full-circle.

There are so many options that it boggles the mind. Everybody will have their own favorite, having nothing to do with quality or workmanship of the actual frame. It all started with Colt, and as the patent expired ... <_<:D:huh:

Very few frames are made from 'bar-stock' nowadays that are affordable, but they are available if you insist. Not that investment cast or forged are crap, for they are not, and most of the big names use them in their top of the line production and custom jobs.

As for sources: Yes, there is Caspian at the top of the list in affordability and quality. Then there is Essex (also located in the same neck of the woods as Caspian and using the same source of materials, foundry, etc.) which is even more affordable and offers a myriad of other components, like their neighbor. From there on the prices go up, but not necessarily the quality. MAKU MOZO!!!!!!!

From what I've read, STI's magazine release/catch is slightly out of position, so you'll always have potential issues using other people's magazines. Maybe someone who runs a Trojan can confirm, deny, or clarify.

This had to do w/ how they cut the mag catch, not the hole in the frame. If you put a standard mag catch in the gun, you fix the problem. STI went back to a normal mag catch height after folks had problems.

I run a .40 Trojan w/ a Wilson mag catch in it... As part of tuning the feedramp, Tripp also welded and recut the mag catch to provide proper mag height...

STI-I believe this is a cast frame, their bar stock is no longer available?

They also have a forged frame.

This had to do w/ how they cut the mag catch, not the hole in the frame. If you put a standard mag catch in the gun, you fix the problem. STI went back to a normal mag catch height after folks had problems.

I run a .40 Trojan w/ a Wilson mag catch in it... As part of tuning the feedramp, Tripp also welded and recut the mag catch to provide proper mag height...

That's good to know. Thanks, Dave

Choices, choices, which to make. I am thinking of Caspian or STI. I have thought about the forged but Chris and David at STI seem to think I am not really getting more for the extra 60 bucks. Still trying to narrow it down. Thanks for all the replies, keep the responses coming. :)

Edited by GeneralChang

Regardless of dicussions on 1911.com, my experience w/ cast frames is that they'll loosen up more quickly than forged. My Trojan has started to loosen some, and it's got less than 8K on it. Race guns I have experience w/ built on Caspian frames generally have loosened in the first 15-20K, where guns built by the same smith on S_I frames take twice as long to loosen to that point. It was recommended to me by that same smith that if I went w/ Caspian, I should shoot 10K and have it chromed to help reduce wear on the softer metal of the cast frame (I'm not a metallurgist... this was based on his experience). I went the S_I route, put 32K through the gun, and it was still as tight as the day it was built...

So... I'll take forged. If the STI guys feel there's no difference between their frames, that way... then I probably won't use an STI forged frame ;) Given that my .40 is loosening already, and it's a cast frame...

• 2 weeks later...

Derek at Millenium Custom pointed out something to me once that I have now noticed many times, since I've been looking for it:

A cast frame is prone to bash its slide-stop hole from a round shape when new to an egg shape when it's got a lot of rounds on it.

The vertical surfaces at the front edge of the frame rails [also] are often not so pretty on a hi-round-count cast frame, either.

Might take ten years of shooting the gun, or maybe a lot less, to see either effect. YMMV