Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Twist Rate/bullet Weight

jbullgpd

I tried to do a search on this but didn't see one that covered both twist rate and bullet weight. I am getting ready to make a new upper strictly for 3 gun and wanted to know what bullet weights in relation to twist rates yall use for the best accuracy set up for shooting 3 gun 325-350 yds and in. Previously I had been shooting my LE load of 55 grain but from what I can find for longer distances I should be shooting probably 69 grain or more. I would like to know what yall's setups are in relation to twist rate and the bullet weight you are using. Thanks for any help.

Sierra states a twist for the 69 MatchKing 7-10 inch. The 77, requires at least an 8 inch twist. Hornady says thier 75 Hollow Point Match will work in a 9 inch twist. Anything heavier than the Sierra 77 is designed for Highpower, to be single loaded. Depending on your source of barrel, a 7 or 8 inch twist will do it. Colt 7 inch HBAR barrels would hammer with 52 Sierras, so, a fast twist doesn't mean you can't use light bullets. It lets you shoot anything. Some highpower shooters will shoot 52 Sierras out of a 6.5 inch twist with excellent results too.

I'm running a Stainless steel barrel with a 1/9 twist. I use a handloaded Sierra 69gr at around 2,900 fps. I think the 69's are the best all around load. Relatively flat trajectory, they fight the wind pretty good, and they've got enought energy to still give a flash target a good smack out to 400 yards, which is important when you've got someone trying to spots hits for you. It makes it easier for them to call a hit.

Erik

1-7" chrome lined Colt (float tube fore-end) with 55 FMJBT, 62 FMJBT, and Sierra 69 BTHP. 55's and 62's shoot about 4" at 200 yards, the 69's shoot under 3";

1-7.7" Krieger (my High Power Service Rifle) with Sierra 69, 77 and 80 BTHP. These all shoot well under 2" at 200 yards.

Billski

For bullets from 45 to 77 gr, a 7 or 8 twist will work fine. 95% of the time a 9 twist will as well. We find the occasional 9 twist that won't shoot 77's but most do fine. If you are getting a SS match grade barrel, get an 8 twist. If you plan to shoot with a chromelined barrel, get a 7 twist. And use heavy bullets on long steel. Erik's spot on, when you are relying on others to call your hits, make the flashers move a lot if you can. Then they might notice if you shoot one they aren't looking directly at when you shoot it.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

SS 1:8 20" bbl on my CTR-02. It only gets fed SMK 69 & 77's but also shoots 55's fine.

If there are flashers at 250 and beyond, I use the SMK 77 as it moves the flashers better. Erik is right about that being a factor in getting your hits called out fast. Nothing quite like having to yell HIT back to the RO while watching your hit through the scope and not getting it called out.