Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Spending Time With My Boys

chuckbradley

Spent this evening working with the boys changing oil & filters on Austins Truck and 2 tractors since its time to mow again. I was teaching them how to change oil, air, fuel & hydraulic filters on everything when Ryan(13) was putting oil back into one of the tractors. He asked how much oil. I said well try 4 quarts that should be close then we can check it and go from there. He put 4 quarts in and then while I was working on the truck he said Dad there isnt any reading on the stick. I thought for a moment, maybe it takes 6 quarts. Then I saw this puddle emerging from under the tractor. I asked him "did you put the plug back first?" He said "no". He was upset at first, so was I , then we had a big laugh. He has some clean up tomorrow with the kitty litter. Its these moments and lessons learned we will never forget.

Tell Ryan not to feel so bad... :) I was doing a bunch of crap to my car, including changing the oil, replacing the plugs, blah blah blah. I had the oil out of the car, draining it while I was doing other stuff. Brain fart occurred. After getting the plugs and coils sorted, I started the car to make sure everything was happy... saw the "no oil pressure, you freakin' idiot" light come on, and shut it down right away. No damage to the motor... whew. Unfortunately, the turbo no likee... only gets about half boost, now. That was a $600+ mistake, it appears... d'oh...

If all he did was make a little mess, he got off easy :lol:

Lots of stories here.... :)

I was 8 and my granddad was teaching me to drive the tractor with the sickle bar on it (before brush hogs) and I was cutting the weeds and got to the corn field...he told me to raise the bar and turn before I got to the corn...yelled back that he did not show me how to raise the bar...

Cut down 8 rows of corn before he could run and jump on the tractor and raise the cutter... :lol:

Chuck, you'll have to show Ryan this thread if these keep collecting :D:lol:

OH, I will.

When I was 14 I got a job in a VW garage working for a guy from Germany. There were 2 of us in the shop helping. I know Child Labor under the table but I wanted to work and 20.00 a week for 20 hours was a good start for a 14 year old kid. After all it was 1975.

Any way , the other kid didnt put oil in the car. The customer drove it away and a few blocks away called & said it was making funny noises. Fred the owner filled it with oil and told the owner that he would fix it when the time came. That night the car was stolen and the thief blew the engine up. Lucky for Fred the garage owner! We always thought he was the one who stole it and blew it up.

I thought for a moment, maybe it takes 6 quarts.

That's the same thought process I had when I left the drain plug out of my pickup. Of course, I knew it couldn't take 8 quarts after I poured two more on the ground. I felt really stupid.

Regular oil is one thing, but try that with big dollar synthetic transmittion fluid for my garden tractor. I saw about $20 of the stuff go on the ground before words started coming out of my mouth that I was surprised by.

Spent this evening working with the boys changing oil & filters on Austins Truck and 2 tractors since its time to mow again. I was teaching them how to change oil, air, fuel & hydraulic filters on everything when Ryan(13) was putting oil back into one of the tractors. He asked how much oil. I said well try 4 quarts that should be close then we can check it and go from there. He put 4 quarts in and then while I was working on the truck he said Dad there isnt any reading on the stick. I thought for a moment, maybe it takes 6 quarts. Then I saw this puddle emerging from under the tractor. I asked him "did you put the plug back first?" He said "no". He was upset at first, so was I , then we had a big laugh. He has some clean up tomorrow with the kitty litter. Its these moments and lessons learned we will never forget.

I don't know anybody who hasn't forgotten to put the plug in at least once.

A comedian on leno was saying about how his dad would get mad at him because he didn't know how to work on his own car..... his dad would say:

"Hey! I taught you how to change the oil and filter!"

And he would answer:

"No, you didn't..... you just screamed at me a lot while I held the light."

:D

That is funny.

One of my Dad's favorite stories was one time I "helped" pick tomatoes so the next day I went out and really helped pick them. All of them. :o

I guess we ate a lot of fried green tomatoes that month. :unsure:

I've never left the plug out.

One time I did loose count, and put a couple of extra quarts in. Figured I had to remove the plug, let just enough out, then stick it back in. Did not work out so well. :ph34r:

Helped a buddy take the automatic transmision out of his Rambler, to replace it with a manual. No way to drain it, and the stuborn thing wanted to come out in pieces. By the time it was out, we were lying in a huge puddle of stinky red ATF. I've detested automatic transmisions ever since.