Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

625 Lc Machined For Moonclips Or 625 Bored For .45 Schofield

COF

Still trying to come up with the single IDPA revolver. I've thought about using .45 AR in the 625 but everyone who's tried that says the cases are so short it's hard to hit the cylinder with them. So I've thought about boring the cylinder out to accept .45 Schofield cases or buying a 625 LC and having the cylinder machined for moonclips so I could shoot 45 ACP.

Anybody else thought about this or tried it?

This project probably goes along with my itch to but a .338-06 barrel on my '06 - it can be done, but do you really gain anything?

Jerry

Still trying to come up with the single IDPA revolver. I've thought about using .45 AR in the 625 but everyone who's tried that says the cases are so short it's hard to hit the cylinder with them. So I've thought about boring the cylinder out to accept .45 Schofield cases or buying a 625 LC and having the cylinder machined for moonclips so I could shoot 45 ACP.

Anybody else thought about this or tried it?

This project probably goes along with my itch to but a .338-06 barrel on my '06 - it can be done, but do you really gain anything?

Jerry

I don't get it ?? are you looking for a double duty gun ? Whacha trying to do ?

I remember a guy over on the old Shooters.com forum who had nothing but praise for the

45 AR.

Like anything, practice makes perfect (or close to it) Get yourself some 45 AR brass and

speedloaders and see if those others just didn't learn the right "trick"

And, if they've already tried it then they should have some brass and speed loaders to lend

you or sell you cheap to try it out :o

I would have to think the best possible SSR option under the current rules would be a 4" 686 with cut-down "Bubberized" Comp IIIs.

Edited to add: OK, COF, I get it....you're thinking about having one revo that would qualify for both ESR and SSR divisions. Hmm....wonder if the HKS loaders for the .45 AR can be cut down Bubber-style??

Edited by Carmoney

Don't you have a PF of 125 in SSR and 165 in ESR? If I read it correctly the 165 in ESR is a Minimum. That would make it hard to sight in for both. Though I've used 230 MG and 4.0 clays for 170PF and a 185 HBRN Berry with 4.0 Clays for a 135PF. They printed fairly close, like 1 revolution difference in elevation.

Have you tried using AR cases and loading "Long", maybe out to 1.300"? It's not the Case Length that's the problem but the OAL that needs a bit more to work well with Speed Loaders.

Can't you use a 686 that's machined for clips, but used with .38 Specials and Speed Loaders in SSR? Then switch to Magnums with moon clips for ESR?

I have a 4" M29 machined for Moon Clips that works great with .44 Russians (1.300" OAL). And it works good with .44 Specials and Speed Loaders. Course there are no Comp III's for a .44 that I've found. And your choice of RN bullets is Very Limited. National is about the only RN I've found and it's in a 240 grain bullet.

Another question for you, does an "N" frame with Miculek or Hogue Grips fit the IDPA Box?

Edited by pskys2

Psky2,

revolvers are exempt from "the box".....but.....there is a weight limit in ssr(speed loader guns) and the 625 might not make it when chambered in 45 colt....something ele to check.

COF,

My take on getting 1 for both..... get a GP100 or a 686 and have it cut for moon clips then you can shoot both divisions...just have to use your speedloader for ssr.

HOPALONG

EX revolver shooter. :P

Can you use Comp III's in IDPA?
Yup, but there aren't any in N frame sizes.
Don't you have a PF of 125 in SSR and 165 in ESR? If I read it correctly the 165 in ESR is a Minimum. That would make it hard to sight in for both.
Maybe it's just me or the specific calibers, but when I use the same weight bullets in .38 and .357 from the same gun, there's no noticeable shift in POI. If using different weight bullets, of course, all bets would be off.
...there is a weight limit in ssr(speed loader guns) and the 625 might not make it when chambered in 45 colt....something ele to check.
The weight limit would eliminate it. Both 4" L frames and the M27/28s are at the weight limit. My BBQ gun (4" nickel M57) is over the SSR limit.
I just saw a mint 25-3 LC at a decent price. How does the LC machined work with .45ACP ammo. Cons? Accuracy? Any advice?
According to the Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson, a 4" 25-3 in .45 Colt comes in at 44 oz., so it's over the weight limit. Besides, the headspace is different between .45 ACP/AR and .45 Colt, so that makes it unfeasible.

If you can afford it, get the 25-3 anyway. It would be a cool gun in its own right. ;)

Thanks for the feedback, but no offense guys - if I wanted to shoot an L-frame at 165+ PF, I'd just shoot my 646. It's not fun to shoot at those power factors. I've thought about picking up a 686 to shoot SSR - Lord knows I've got enough .38 brass to shoot it with - but got to thinking about this possibility.

Safariland used to make a Comp 1 for the 625, not sure if the still do. The 625 mountain gun makes the weight for SSR.

Jerry