Brain Teasers

Shooter Grrl

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok, I'll bite :) I assume we're supposed to answer??? :)

Which is bigger? Mr. Bigger or Mr. Biggers baby?

Both.

If a brick weighs 9lbs and a half brick, how much does a brick and a half weigh?

27lbs

Which is bigger? Mr. Bigger or Mr. Biggers baby?

Both. NO

Darn it... thought it was trying to be "clever"... after all, they're both "Bigger".... ;)

Edited by XRe

Fred is wandering through the Arabian desert, lost and starving. He comes to a fork in the path that he vaguely remembers leading on one side to a village of friendly natives who might help him, and on the other to a village of fierce natives who will likely do him in. For the life of him he can't remember which is which. A lamp is lying at the fork in the path. Fred picks it up, rubs it, and out pop two identical appearing genies. In unison they say, "We are the genies of Truth and Falsehood. We can answer any question, but one of us always lies, the other always tells the truth."

Fred asks each of them, "Which genie are you?".

They each reply, "I am the one who tells the truth, the other is the one that lies.".

Fred now knows he is saved, but he is almost at the end, and barely has enough strength to ask more questions.

What is the fewest number of questions, and what are they, that will save Fred?

Fred is wandering through the Arabian desert, lost and starving. He comes to a fork in the path that he vaguely remembers leading on one side to a village of friendly natives who might help him, and on the other to a village of fierce natives who will likely do him in. For the life of him he can't remember which is which. A lamp is lying at the fork in the path. Fred picks it up, rubs it, and out pop two identical appearing genies. In unison they say, "We are the genies of Truth and Falsehood. We can answer any question, but one of us always lies, the other always tells the truth."

They each reply, "I am the one who tells the truth, the other is the one that lies.".

Fred now knows he is saved, but he is almost at the end, and barely has enough strength to ask more questions.

Two. "Which way did I come from?" and "Which way to the village?"

Two. "Which way did I come from?" and "Which way to the village?"

Which way will the other genie tell me is the way to the friendly village? Then go the opposite way....

One question, asked of either genie: "Can you tell me that the (left or right path, it doesn't matter) is the one to safety?"

The answer from each genie will be the same, and will be correct.

Edited by kevin c

One question, asked of either genie: "Can you tell me that the (left or right path, it doesn't matter) is the one to safety?"

The answer from each genie will be the same, and will be correct.

Kevin, If you ask the truthfull genie if the right path is the one to safety and it is he will say yes. If you ask the untruthful (don't want to call him the liar genie it will hurt his feelings) he will say no.

I messed up when I answered the first time and it included the asnwer (that I had) into 300 lbs message. "What will the other genie say is the path to safety" If again it is the right path the lying genie will say the other genie says it is the left one. The truthful genie will tell the truth that the other genie will say left. Then you go right.

You are not asking the genie which path is correct path, you are asking if he can tell you that it is the correct path.

The answer to the question "Is this the right path?", will differ: the truthful genie will say yes if the path is correct, no if not. The lying genie will say the opposite.

If however, you ask HOW the genie will answer the question, the answers will vary. The truthful genie can tell you that the indicated path is the correct one or not. He will say yes (he can truthfully tell you) if it is, and no (he cannot truthfully tell you) if it is not. But the genie is not answering the question of which path is right.

In the second case with the lying genie, he cannot answer truthfully about whether he can tell you how he answers the question. In the case of the correct path, he cannot give the truthful answer that, if asked directly, he will say no, so he will say yes. In the case of the wrong path, he cannot give the truthful answer that, if asked directly, he will say yes, so he will say no. Again, the genie is not answering the question of which path is right, but the question of how he responds.

It's just that the "yes" and the "no" give the right information to Fred.