Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting Glasses

A second vote on Rudy Projects. you can find them at www.advancedperformanceshooting.com.

I recommend the red lenses, but you can buy several different lenses for the same glasses with Rudy's.

Beware of glasses that have the two lenses spaced far apart for your face and those with a wide bridge area. Not because they won't fit your face, but because they kill your stereo vision at sharp angles. Especially if you have any eye dominance problems...

what I'm trying to type is :

Say you're looking for a target to your left. You get your eyes over there first. However, with a big bridge in your glasses, your right eye is blocked. So, you're seeing with your left eye, in mono vision! Not good. This is one reason the old school Bolle's were so nice. (as an aside, you are now semi-programmed to continue to see that target with your left eye, even when it comes back to stereo vision in front of your face. I've noticed this is really detrimental in sporting clays.)

So, in my opinion look for glasses that have a narrower bridge area and/or fit you closely. Don't just get something someone else says is cool / looks cool. Buy a brand that fits your eye spacing to avoid or minimize the above, and is polycarbonate. You'll drive the sunglass person nuts with trying everything on, but the heck with 'em. This is important. Hope this makes sense...

Regarding color stick with red or vermillion if you shoot open or a red fiber front sight. Makes the dot brighter and the cardboard stand out. Subdues backgrounds of green.

After all the troubles I've had with my Rudy's and shooting prone, they would not be my first choice in a shooting optic. Great for skiing and everything else. Not great if you're looking anywhere but dead center through the lens.

ETA: I know polycarbonate is what people think they want, but I tried a set of glasses this weekend that were made out of CR39, which is an optical grade cast resin. Polycarbonate isn't even in the same universe for quality and clarity. It wasn't a subtle difference. Manufacturers push polycarbonate because it's cheap and can be injection-molded, not because of the optical quality.

My 2...

Edited by EricW

It would help if you could try your glasses under different shooting/lighting conditions, and have more than one set.

A few days ago at the Florida State Championship I drew next to "DFL" in the shooting order. Normally I wouldn't be concerned, but it was getting very late and the sunset was approaching at a bad angle over the berm in that particular stage. When the LAMR came I was ready according to the "dry runs" I made earlier. But nothing prepared me for the extreme glare that was waiting as I turned into the directions of the late afternoon (dark) sun. Everywhere was like driving in the evening with a dirty windshield and the oncoming traffic putting on their high beams unto you. I couldn't see a lot of the targets at all, and many times the red dot on my C-More sight just dissapeared without a trace.

The shooter that followed me was using clear prescription glasses, and I was wearing dark tinted (non polarized) Oakleys. He was able to shoot the stage clean while I had 6 mikes to effectively blow me out of contention for my Class placings. :(:angry: Such can be the "luck of the draw", but the choice of glasses was very instrumental, and determined the final outcome.

Choose carefully after trying out several options for those conditions. Remember that when your time to shoot comes you only get one chance, and they don't give re-shoots for choosing the wrong glasses. :ph34r:

Oakley Grey (for sunny days) and Persimmon (overcast and lower light). The Persimmon lenses are amazing - I've even worn them at night while driving in heavy rain to increase contrast and I thought I really helped.

After all the troubles I've had with my Rudy's and shooting prone, they would not be my first choice in a shooting optic. Great for skiing and everything else. Not great if you're looking anywhere but dead center through the lens.

ETA: I know polycarbonate is what people think they want, but I tried a set of glasses this weekend that were made out of CR39, which is an optical grade cast resin. Polycarbonate isn't even in the same universe for quality and clarity. It wasn't a subtle difference. Manufacturers push polycarbonate because it's cheap and can be injection-molded, not because of the optical quality.

My 2...

Do you remember what brand the glasses were with the CR39 lenses?

Edited by walangkatapat

I went with DeCots a couple years ago in a burnt orange tint. I was looking for something close to a "blue blockers" type effect.

These glasses are great for outdoor/ daytime shooting.

My only problem with the tint I chose is they are not good for low light/indoor shooting.

I can pick up my green FO without a problem.

The folks at DeCots are great to work with. They know shooting.

My 2...

Do you remember what brand the glasses were with the CR39 lenses?

Post 4. But Decot makes glasses that are CR39 as well, so Post 4 is not the only game in town. Decot also has an adjustable bridge that may be more advantageous for adjusting where you are seeing through the lenses. Decot's also cost more.

http://www.decot.com/content/products.asp

http://www.post4optics.com/

Aren't you guys worried about not having some sort of sideshield? Looking at the post 4 and decot glasses there is a lot of empty space on the sides of your eyes for bits of copper to screw you for life. I like glasses that curve around and protect the sides of my eyes. I've had bullet fragments hit me in that area and I'm glad my Rudy's curve. I dont know about you but I never got hit by splater when I'm shooting but I've gotten pleanty when I'm spectating and when I'm just watching other shoot I'm not always facing straight at the targets. I rather loose a few seconds or points then my eyes.

That said, I like my Rudy's but they are not perfect. In a perfect world I would get something which had my prescription on the shields, not on a insert. However that gets expensive fast.

Vlad,

It is a concern. I won't use my glass-lens Raybans at matches for that very reason. Sideshields are easy to come by. Glasses that don't alter my zero seem to be a tougher commodity to find.

Clear plastic sideshields that slip over the bows of your glasses have been around for years. That's my plan.

E

Edited by EricW

Side shields destract me silly. Heck I sometimes I get irked by the little Rudy white lettering in the corner of the lanses. I've ordered a new set of lenses for my Rydon, their new NXT/IMPACT-X stuff. The numbers on it are nice (http://www.rudyprojectusa.com/press/pressreleases/092205.htm) but we'll see when I get them. I'm also looking forward to the photochromic stuff because I'm getting really sick of changing lenses every match, being that my indoor and outdoor matches neatly alternate where I dont get to use the same lens twice in a row.

We'll see when they get here if their claims are true.

Vlad,

The wild impact shifts that I've been experiencing with my Rudy's both in pistol and MOR outweigh virtually any advantage they give, and Rudys do have their virtues. I'm down to simply not wearing glasses at all with my bolt gun - which is a bad plan over the long term.

Every optician I spoken with so far in my quest has said the same thing: polycarbonate has a large amount of distortion.

I'm torn between the Post 4's and the Decots. Post 4's have 2mm lenses, which will reduce the refraction issue. By the same token, there was no question I could ask Decot for which they could not produce THE definitive answer. Unfortunately, the Decots use 2.6 mm lenses which means a lot more weight and more refraction.

The good news is with the CR39 lenses, the index of refraction is 1.5 versus PC's 1.6. That does help some.

Thats why the NXT stuff might be interesting. 1.53 refraction index (about the same as glass), and light at 1.11 gr/cm3 which makes lighter then all the other options. Not great on colors though with Abbe of 45, but I think I dont care as much about that.

I shot skeet and trap for over 30 years and have always worn Decot glasses. The variety of tints available can enhance any background or lighting condition. The dark orange is excellent for contrast and glare reduction on bright days. The dark to medium purple brings out the contrast against green or tree backgrounds. Clear or light yellow for overcast or late in the evening when the sun is setting.

Hope this helps.

Back to the original question:

The preferred color here local seems to be Rudy's Racing Red. Yakked with Post 4 today, and one of his name-brand IPSC customers preferred "Desert Glow" which is kind of a light pink/lavender.

http://www.post4optics.com/lenscolors.htm

I have a set of Post 4's on the way with the Desert Glow, clear, and bronze lenses. I'll post my thoughts. I do know that I almost always prefer the lighter tints (if any) now that I've gotten away from wearing dark glasses for everything besides climbing and skiing.