Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide Stops And L10

Jack Suber

Those of you who shoot L10, do you have a functioning slide stop (will your sllide lock after the last shot)? Just curious. The reason I ask is that I have been shooting my limited gun in L10. My slide stop has been deactivated - the tab that contacts the follower after the last shot has been ground off. Never really has been a problem in Limited. However, after running my gun dry more than I can count at the Florida State this weekend, I began wondering if I should have a functioning slide stop. It seems to me that would have saved me a little time in that I would know right away if I was empty and would not have to rack the slide after reloading. I probably should have had a functioning slide stop before I started shooting L10, huh? What say ye?

If you ran to slide lock a lot and didn't know it was about to happen, then I'd say you might have an issue with reload planning. Maybe it was just a bad match needing lots of make-up shots. Of course I'm sure you're aware of this already.

I ran a working slide stop when I shot L-10. If the plan fails, then I agree that you will know you're empty a bit faster than pulling the trigger on an empty chamber.

While my slide stops are non-functional in my Limited guns, my L-10 gun will likely keep a working slide stop.

My slide stop works. Obviously, you should ideally plan such that you never run dry, but sometimes you need an extra shot... ;) Just my preference. You still have to take action to close the slide - racking the slide doesn't really lose you much over that (if anything)....

I never really had a problem with it before. However, this was a very difficult match with lots of long/tight shots. I was also coaching my son through his first major match so I had distractions. It wasn't until the second to last stage, as I was racking my slide, that the thought occured to me - "Hey, a working slide stop might have helped". <_< Duh. This is the first year I have shot L10 so I am learning the nuances.... Thanks, Jerry.

My slide stop works. Obviously, you should ideally plan such that you never run dry, but sometimes you need an extra shot... ;) Just my preference. You still have to take action to close the slide - racking the slide doesn't really lose you much over that (if anything)....

I am thinking that releasing a slide stop would be significantly quicker than reloading and racking because I could be releasing the slide as I am indexing to the target. Whereas, I have to drop the gun to rack it and then look for the target again. Regardless, I think there will be a functioning slide stop on my pistol by tomorrow. Thanks for the feedback.

Jack

Edited by Jack Suber

Reloading and racking the slide doesn't take into account the time wasted setting up for a shot only to hear a "click" instead of a bang, then maybe a split second to realize what the heck happened (especially if you're distracted during the match). Only after that can you proceed to the reload/rack slide function.

I think there's a big difference between planning/knowing you're going to run the gun dry versus losing track of your ammo situation in the middle of a stage from hell. I'm thinking Jack didn't necessarily realize he was going to run the gun dry, otherwise racking the slide versus using the slide stop isn't as big a difference.

I can feel the slide lock back, so even if my game has fallen apart to the point I'm running the gun dry without realizing it, I don't have to waste time with the click instead of the bang. If the slide doesn't lock back, then there's no hope of me recovering the stage.

Reloading and racking the slide doesn't take into account the time wasted setting up for a shot only to hear a "click" instead of a bang, then maybe a split second to realize what the heck happened (especially if you're distracted during the match). Only after that can you proceed to the reload/rack slide function.

I think there's a big difference between planning/knowing you're going to run the gun dry versus losing track of your ammo situation in the middle of a stage from hell. I'm thinking Jack didn't necessarily realize he was going to run the gun dry, otherwise racking the slide versus using the slide stop isn't as big a difference.

I can feel the slide lock back, so even if my game has fallen apart to the point I'm running the gun dry without realizing it, I don't have to waste time with the click instead of the bang. If the slide doesn't lock back, then there's no hope of me recovering the stage.

Yep.. thats sort of what I was thinking. If I go to slide lock, I'll be able to feel it (at least I can with my carry gun). So, I'll be able to react a little faster - hopefully.

I shoot L10 with the same gun I use in IDPA, have had for 24 years now, and also does duty as a carry gun. The slide stop works. I'm too "coordinationally challenged" ;) to count rounds (though I'm improving) or worry about racking the slide as part of a speed reload.

I shot L-10 for 3 years and never counted rounds. I'd plan my reloads, which usually ended up with me dropping a mag with 2 rounds in it.

Of course I had a couple of times where multiple misses caused me to lose track completely. Instead of thinking "I fired 2 make-up shots so I have 1 round left", the best my brain could do was "Oh crap! I hope I'm not going to run the gun dry!". So of course I ran the gun dry....

The bad thing was this happened at the 2004 and 2005 SC State matches, and both times happened on my own stage.

I'm still feeling terrible about letting the section down this year, but work has gotten in the way of every big match I wanted to shoot. I was hoping to outlast L. Chico at the bar this year :P

My slide stop works and I wouldn't have it any other way. I have won stages by planning on shooting to slidelock in order to avoid what would have been an almost standing reload. The slide stop being active can salvage a stage, it can also give you more options in planning your reloads.

Learn to count past 2. You should know how many rounds you have left in a mag not just I plan on doing a reload here. You should know how many rounds are in a Open or Limited gun also. When your first plan goes south you know what you can do and what you can't do. You won't have to panic and make it worse. Having the slide lock working or not it's a personal thing. I learned a long time ago how to count past 2, something very rare for a IPSC shooter. :P

Rich

here we shoot 10 round mags for everything, open,limited, L10, etc.

the slide stops work on all my guns. half the guys in the club deactivated theirs, and I don't see the advantage to doing so.

yes I can count past 10, and had my slide lock back early a few times. but it has also saved me a bunch of time when I lost count on a 20, 30 or 40 round stages. there is nothing like the feeling of hoping/praying/wondering if there is that one last round in the gun to engage the last target in the stage. :ph34r:

here we shoot 10 round mags for everything, open,limited, L10, etc.

the slide stops work on all my guns. half the guys in the club deactivated theirs, and I don't see the advantage to doing so.

yes I can count past 10, and had my slide lock back early a few times. but it has also saved me a bunch of time when I lost count on a 20, 30 or 40 round stages. there is nothing like the feeling of hoping/praying/wondering if there is that one last round in the gun to engage the last target in the stage. :ph34r:

My Limited and L-10 guns lock back but not my Open gun. Like rishii said we shoot 10rds in everything and there are times when a working slide lock would have saved me some time. Looks like I will have to fit up a working slide lock for my Open gun when shooting 10rd mags :lol:

barry B)