Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Opinions About Fiber Optic Sights For Ipsc

bobb_topgun

Hello, I'm a new forum member here. I'll probably will ask a lot of the proverbial "dumb" questions . . .

I'm just getting started at a local club in IPSC, and am waiting for delivery of a new CZ SP-01. The SP-01 will come with factory installed night sights.

I've noticed that a lot of IPSC folks go to fiber optics, and would like some opinions on that changing-out stock sights:

• Should I also consider changing out the rear to either an adjustable or fixed competition sight?
  • I noticed that there is different diameters for the front sight fiber - 1.0mm or 1.5mm. Any opinions on "best" fiber diameter for IPSC?

THANKS in advance for helping a competition shooting "newbie" (ME)! :D

Edited by Flexmoney

Bob

Try to get your hands on someone with a fiber optic and see if you can shoot itduring the day and if possible under the lights if your club shoots at night.

I love my green fiber optic in the day.I have no problem lining it up and focusing on it.

Last night I shot an outdoor match under Halegin (sp) light and couldn't see the front sight at all on the first stage I shot. I had to slow down and try to distinguish the black around the sight and when I did this I started hitting the A again.

Once I knew the problem I slowed down and forced myself to see the sight I fount it slower but at least I got my A hits back up to normal for the rest of the match.

The jury is out on this. I may just put my gold bead front sight back on. I can see that in all lighting situation.

Edited by AzShooter

I have Dawson adjustables on my G24. I have red fiber on the front, black target on the rear. I don't like fiber front and back, too busy for me. The red picks up very nicely and drops into the black without having to search.

I don't like fiber indoors, no need for it. My indoor guns have Heinie sights.

Andy C.

I have a very narrow front sight with a fiber in it, .075" wide. Outdoors it is nice, fantastic sight picture and easy to pick up. Indoors I might as well not have a front sight unless I am right under one of the lights.

Indoor I would want at least a .090" wide blade, it really won't matter if it is fiber or not since the fiber won't light up. Outdoor I want a very narrow front sight, if it didn't have a fiber in it I really wouldn't care.

I really like having an adjustable rear, instead of finding a major load that shoots to the gun I work up a load I like and then make the gun shoot to that load. Life is a lot easier working up loads with adjustable sights.

I have a very narrow front sight with a fiber in it, .075" wide. Outdoors it is nice, fantastic sight picture and easy to pick up. Indoors I might as well not have a front sight unless I am right under one of the lights.

Indoor I would want at least a .090" wide blade, it really won't matter if it is fiber or not since the fiber won't light up. Outdoor I want a very narrow front sight, if it didn't have a fiber in it I really wouldn't care.

I really like having an adjustable rear, instead of finding a major load that shoots to the gun I work up a load I like and then make the gun shoot to that load. Life is a lot easier working up loads with adjustable sights.

+1

I like the saying, they are like training wheels, they are great at first, but they will hold you back once you know what to do.

I think Travis said that. However, based on his web site, the best iron sight shooter in the history of our sport (TGO) uses a FO front sight often.

No one can tell you what's right for you. You have to try both and decide.

I like the saying, they are like training wheels, they are great at first, but they will hold you back once you know what to do.

I disagree...especially in our sport. They are great for speed but will slow you down for accurate shots. You have to get used to adjusting between the two. You have to start out NOT using them and then learn how and when to use them after you "know what to do." I would call them a power boosters instead of training wheels.

No one can tell you what's right for you. You have to try both and decide.

Shoot A zone only targets at 15 yards with a FO and a standard .090 black front sight, 3 targets 3 meters apart.

For me this made the decision easy. If you shoot a LOT is low light conditions the FO might just be perfect for you, but most of my shooting is in bright light.

Many have them for the wrong reasons IMO. This is a huge reason people are sloppy with their shots IMO. If all the targets were 7 yards are closer and mostly wide open, FO all the way. Our matches emphasize accuracy and a FO is just too slow on the harder shots. You can force yourself to see the top around the black, but it just takes to much time. I've tried probably 6 or more styles, and even made a few of my own, but the plain old black beat it in all the timed drills.

I can make a list of top shooters (our host included) who prefer the black also but who shoots which sight isn't as important as knowing where the shot went. Without seeing the outline of the FS I can't call the shot. A bright FO it takes my attention away from where it should be and slows me down.

I guess I'm a believer in black because I made GM in Limited after ditching the FO. I do think the FO held me back, but you experience may vary, so letting the targets and timer do the talking is a good idea.

As I get older and the eyes get poorer, I put the training wheels on. I doubt they will ever come off :(

With a .125 FO front sight it doesn't take me any additional time to get a good sight picture for distant targets. I just open up my rear sight a bit more than the folks with narrow FOs.

I do get the feeling they are nothing more than a crutch. Something different that makes me pay more attention to the front sight. The newness starts to fade, so just switch colors to make that "trick of the day" work again. When all that fails, then switch back to a non-FO and suddenly I'm paying attention again + I could badmouth FO sights for a while if I felt the urge.

So what if it's a crutch? I'm fully aware of it and use it to my advantage. I think everyone should at least give them a try.