Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Meopta Or Acog?

atek3

So this fall I'm going to build an AR setup for tactical. I'm going to go with a magnified optic. The S&B short dot is out of my price range, as is the new Elcan, so I'm basically looking between the ACOG TA11 and the Meopta 1-4x w/ the illuminated dot. I handled the Meostar at the shot show and really liked the clarity, but the lack of vertical stadia for holdover has me slightly worried, as does the size of the center dot. I read through the Meopta thread, but bottom line, which do you think would be the better optical device for a new(ish) 3gun competitor?

thanks,

atek3

That would depend on if you have a very dominant eye or not. The lack of stadia hairs makes absolutely NO difference in the game we play and the merits of both have been pretty well hashed out. I like both, but FOR ME the TA-11 is the better choice. If you have a dominant eye ( which I don't ) the Meostar would be much better. So it depends upon your parents for which scope you buy....for the eye dominance gen :lol: KURTM

With a 200 yd. zero on the Meostar the top of the vertical stadia is dead on at 300 yd. on 4 power. This is with 69 gr. bullet @ 2850. If all your going to do is shoot "normal" 3 gun matches that don't have targets past 350 yd. it is all the scope you'll need. If on the other hand you want to have the option of engaging targets out to 700 yd. and with practice being able to shoot fast up close than go with the ACOG. The learning curve with the Meostar is very fast, I was comfortable with 300 yd. shots after the first mag. Really like the field of view and the speed it gives on 1 power with that bright red dot. Both are excellent scopes and which ever you choose will serve you well. That being said IMHO the Meostar is faster on the close stuff with less practice and just as fast on the mid range (200 to 350). You should do a poll and see which one wins.

Edited by Bronco

I'd actually take either over the overpriced and overrated S&B Short Dot and its goofy reticle.

Either will do just fine but for an ACOG, I need a supplement iron sight system (JP) for short range targets since I am very right eye dominant. If pressed, I'd pick the ACOG.

So it depends upon your parents for which scope you buy....for the eye dominance gen :lol: KURTM

Kurt,

I take it you read his thread about going to Grad School. Dartmouth is in Hanover, N.H., if his parents are paying for school, it's not a cheap place to go.

Kurt,

I take it you read his thread about going to Grad School. Dartmouth is in Hanover, N.H., if his parents are paying for school, it's not a cheap place to go.

Hah... parent's paying for school, I wish. B-school is pretty expensive, but thats why there are low interest loans and good jobs afterwards...

Re: eye dominance... I'm right hand right eye. But I find that if I shoot highpower I have to tape my glasses over the non-dominant eye, and if I am shooting IPSC I close one eye... If I leave it open I see two sight pictures super imposed and have problems 'tuning out' the non-dominant...

atek3

Atek,

I am not sure if you are familiar with the other possible alternatives, but there are several Leupolds( the CQT and the MRT), the IOR Valdada 1-4, the Simmons 1.5 - 5 turkey scope and the Trijicon Accupoint that all work for 3 gun. I am sure I am leaving out a few others that are being used.

All of these scopes are being used successfully now, you mighten broaden your search a bit, there are a lot of alternatives.

I like the ACOG for the simplicity, but like Kelly, I need the secondary sight system. If you use a secondary iron sight on the handguard, I would advise the ACOG. If you don't want a secondary sight system on the handguard and given your need to close an eye, then almost any good low powered variable would then be a better choice IMO.

Atek,

I am not sure if you are familiar with the other possible alternatives, but there are several Leupolds( the CQT and the MRT), the IOR Valdada 1-4, the Simmons 1.5 - 5 turkey scope and the Trijicon Accupoint that all work for 3 gun. I am sure I am leaving out a few others that are being used.

All of these scopes are being used successfully now, you mighten broaden your search a bit, there are a lot of alternatives.

I heard the CQ/T has a very small FOV. The MR/T and Simmons aren't true 1X scopes. The IOR sounds pretty good, how does it compare to the Meopta? It appears much more compact. I haven't heard enough about the Accupoint to really make judgement on it.

I like the ACOG for the simplicity, but like Kelly, I need the secondary sight system. If you use a secondary iron sight on the handguard, I would advise the ACOG. If you don't want a secondary sight system on the handguard and given your need to close an eye, then almost any good low powered variable would then be a better choice IMO.

What do you think about the technique of blocking the aperature of the ACOG and using as an Occluded Eye gunsite? I haven't tried shooting like that before, but when I covered the opening my brain superimposed the chevron on the image from my non-dominant eye, looked like a viable technique.

Thanks,

atek3

I thought the CQT had a FOV of around 110' at 100 yards. I don't know how they do it with that small of an objective, but it appears to be very good when I look through mine. I can easily see the last 1/3 of the handguard when I look through it.

It is a true 1x but only goes up to 3x which may cause problems at long range. I would like to be able to see the lit reticle in sunlight.

All of the mentioned scopes have their advocates and their detractors. Everyone's body shape and how they look through a scope is slightly different, so what works for me might not work for you. So, that is why I prefer to advise people to try these scopes out by looking through a friends, etc and then buy what works for them. If you rely solely on internet opinions, there is good change what you buy won't work for you.

What do you think about the technique of blocking the aperature of the ACOG and using as an Occluded Eye gunsite?
As Ivan said, if it works for you, great. You have to find out by trying. No piece of advice will guarantee you will like something even if it works.

IIRC, Matt Burkett sucessfully uses 3 sight sytem techniques according to what the stage rewards. He has an ACOG and uses it for both LD work and extreme CQ work (in occluded mode), he then transitions to a handguard secondary sight system for medium range stuff (past CQ but under 50 yards).

Sad to say, but the only way to find the best setup for yourself is to go through a few things by trial and error even starting from good advice ;-/

No matter how much you test something some friend has while you are at the range, nothing subs for actually living with something for a few months and a few matches.

What do you think about the technique of blocking the aperature of the ACOG and using as an Occluded Eye gunsite? I haven't tried shooting like that before, but when I covered the opening my brain superimposed the chevron on the image from my non-dominant eye, looked like a viable technique.

Thanks,

atek3

I tried this today with a red dot with the objective lense cover closed. I found that I am very right eye dominate and all of my shots were about 2-3" to the right. To investigate I steadied the rifle on a plate, both eyes open, with the dot right in the center of the plate, I then fliped open the lens cover and dot would jump to the right. Very interesting stuff. I also found that if I sighted up on a target lens cover and both eyes open and then closed the lens cover I would loose sight of the target completely. Very enlightening.

TMC this shift has nothing to do with being "eye" dominant. It has everything to do with the ACOG series of scopes being roof prisim design. I have seen the "occluded" ACOGS be off as much as 20" at 10 yards way off a paper....so I would rethink the lens cap thing. The other thing to watch is if your eye isn't centered in the scope REAL well, ie. good cheeck weld. the divergence of the shots grow exponentially.....so, for close range occluded use you can't let your head move in relation to th scope.......which is VERY HARD TO DO!!!! when hosing. Occluding the ACOG scopes should be one of the tests on Urban Ledgends, and I know which way to bet!! KURTM