Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New To Reloading .45 Acp Load

Rob Bartley

I have just purchased a Kimber Stainless Target II. I have had a blast shooting, but relize in order for me to shoot all I would like, I have to start realoading as well. I was thinking about the Rainer 230 Gr. FMJ to keep the cost as low as possible (32.00/500). Was wondering if anyone has used these bullets, and what powder and load you are using. I see a lot of post about Tite Group. Is this a good powder to start with?

Also, when I look at bullets for sale I see some that are advertised as .451" and some as .452". What is the difference, besides the obvious 1/1000 of an inch? Can I use either to reload .45 ACP? Thanks for your help.

I haven't been reloading as long as other forum members here, but when i first started reloading, all i would use was titegroup. out of a dillon powder measure, it meters fairly well, doesn't take too much powder for one charge, and i think its the cheapest around (12.00 a pound at powdervalley.com).

I've used rainier bullets before but not their 230 FMJ. their 200 PSWC worked fine but the nose was a bit too pointed for my taste. As for cost, if you don't mind lead, its cheaper. I started with lead 230 found it a bit too dirty for my taste and went back to plated. I guess this is a case of the lesser of the 2 evils.

if you need more info, try doing a search. this forum is FILLED with helpful info.

To answer your questions, first the .451 is the diameter of jacketed bullets for the 45 ACP

The .452 diameter is the normal diameter of lead bullets also for 45 acp.

I don't have any experience with the plated so I can't speak to that.

Titegroup is a very good powder and many like it for the 45 but there are some considerations other than price.

Titegroup should be fine with a plated or jacketed bullet but you will find it produces a tremendous amount of smoke with lead bullets.

Also, the normal charge for 45 loads does not take up much space in the case.

It is possible to double charge a case which will have disastrous results so take care to check each round before seating the bullet.

If you use the search engine with this forum you will find volumes of information on this subject.

Tls

4.0 CLAYS,

rainier 230 plated round nose

federal 150 primer

loaded to 1.250 oal

Ditto on Harmon! Get yourself a Square Deal B in .45, and the above combo and go to town! Feel free to subsitute 230LRN for the Rainer, but it is one of the best loads for .45 going right now.

Good luck and welcome to the reloading family,

DougC

Over the years I have used 200 grainers and 230 grainers (lead or plated) with Tite Group, Clays, AA2, and WST. I can honestly say I would see no difference in my scores with any combination of the above at the same power factor. Now if you want an ultra-soft shooting load, go with Clays and a 230. That's my favorite combination.

I have just purchased a Kimber Stainless Target II. I have had a blast shooting, but relize in order for me to shoot all I would like, I have to start realoading as well. I was thinking about the Rainer 230 Gr. FMJ to keep the cost as low as possible (32.00/500). Was wondering if anyone has used these bullets, and what powder and load you are using. I see a lot of post about Tite Group. Is this a good powder to start with?

Also, when I look at bullets for sale I see some that are advertised as .451" and some as .452". What is the difference, besides the obvious 1/1000 of an inch? Can I use either to reload .45 ACP? Thanks for your help.

Rob a good load for the 230 plated 45 would be the 4.0 of clays, though I don't care for the Rainer bullets as I feel they are on the soft side. I don't know where you live but T & T reloading from Pa. has a plated bullet that out shoots most JHP's but the new priceing put it around 74.00/1000. I have not checked the new Ranier prices as of yet. Lead,copper and brass prices are getting out of hand. By the way the T & T bullets use 3.8 to 3.9 of clays due to they are a bit harder and you get a better hold when you taper crimp the round. Please use a little taper crimp about 3 thousands, don't bell the case too much just enough to seat the head by hand, OAL 1.250 max. Invest in some tools to check your OAL and taper crimp, keep the brass fresh, as I see too many shooters using brass that is long past the time of reliability, what's the cost factor of once fired brass after its been shot 5 to 6 times ( not much ) and get to chrono you ammo as there are many factors that can change what is the right load for your gun. Most important things to remember, RELOADING IS A LEARNING PROCESS, BE SAFE AND HAVE FUN. Teddy G.

I am using some 200 gr. LSWC's that I can buy locally for around $24/500. Been shooting these with 3.7 gr of Clays with excellent results. I have loaded a few with up to 4.1 gr Clays, but they don't shoot any better, just kick harder. I suspect I can go down to 3.5 gr. of Clays with this bullet and still knock the plates down and cycle the gun reliably. Very clean load. No leading, very little powder fouling.

[

I am using some 200 gr. LSWC's that I can buy locally for around $24/500. Been shooting these with 3.7 gr of Clays with excellent results. I have loaded a few with up to 4.1 gr Clays, but they don't shoot any better, just kick harder. I suspect I can go down to 3.5 gr. of Clays with this bullet and still knock the plates down and cycle the gun reliably. Very clean load. No leading, very little powder fouling.

To EPJ Yea the 4.1clays is about the 165 power factor depends on the gun and crimp the 3.5 load is kinda lame though getting down close to a Bulleye load, it might take down steel ???. Do youself a favor get a pound of WST, 4.8 with a 200 LSWC makes majorand 4.4 to 4.5 is a dream. A few of my guys shoot it and they feel that the WST shoots softer and with a lot less smoke. The point to remember recoil is a subjective thing as such how the gun feels when fired. I prefer the gun to push back then lift up. I prefer shooting the 185 JHP's or 200 LSWC then the 230 gr bullet. It's also how you hold and grip the gun. I know a lot of people that once they tried some different things, they wound up shooting different loads with improved scores. Everybody does something a little bit different, look at the best shooters they all use the basic elements, from there they developed their own styles as to what works best for them, even though it may be small differences. Be safe Teddy G.

Today I switched over to Clays. With a cast 230gr. RN, loaded to major, it is so soft it's hard to believe. I used to shoot Titegroup. Someone gave me 4lbs. of Bullseye, so I had to shoot that for a while.

One thing for sure, Bullseye kicks alot more and is louder than Clays.

I wish I would have listened to people years ago. This load is so soft I'm going to name it my "cheater load".

I'm new to .45acp reloading. I'm currently working on a load for IPSC and steelsfor use in my .45acp Taurus revolver. I'm using a plated 230grn RN and 230 grn rnl. I've played around with Red dot but would like to try Clays that you all give good reports about. I've just looked at a dealers price list and it is available over here in the UK, but it also lists Clays Universal and Clays International. The universal is £5 dearer. Can anyone explain the difference ?

Ta!

I'm new to .45acp reloading. I'm currently working on a load for IPSC and steelsfor use in my .45acp Taurus revolver. I'm using a plated 230grn RN and 230 grn rnl. I've played around with Red dot but would like to try Clays that you all give good reports about. I've just looked at a dealers price list and it is available over here in the UK, but it also lists Clays Universal and Clays International. The universal is £5 dearer. Can anyone explain the difference ?

Ta!

The Universal and International Clays are NOT the same powder and can NOT be substituted for regular Clays. I believe the Universal has burn characteristics more similar to Unique, do NOT assume that Uniqe load data can be substituted.