Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dot Size?

Jake Di Vita

What size dots are you guys using for Steel Challenge?

I shot a match the other day with my IPSC gun (a 4 MOA dot) and it was way too small. Especially with it being a sunny day and the battery was dying....the dot got washed out on that white plate really easily.

I was thinking something like an 8 or even a 12 MOA.

(This is regarding Steel Challenge only).

Opinions?

Edited by Jake Di Vita

I cheat ... or used to any way = I could change the Dot size from 4min to 15 min

ON Smoke and Hope a 10min dot-power turned down -so that I could see 'through it'.

ON Five to GO I used a 6min dot turned up bright and sharp.

Onthe other stages I used an 8

Now I have a Cmore in an * 8 * min dot as a compromise. and I tend to turn it up more than down.

I am giving up some with the Cmore -BUT I know it will work and not fall apart during or just before the match.

Thanks C- More

Jamie Foote

6 or 8, but bright. I've tried big dots (I even have a 15-min Aimpoint somewhere) and they don't seem to make a difference for me. I also have a 3, but one extra-sunny day in San Angelo and extra-white steel cured me of that.

the best steel shooter I know (20 something at last years steel challenge) shoots a 12 moa c-more.

bigger is usually better for steel ... I use a 16 for everything. although I can't really tell the deference between his 12 and my 16 neither will wash out ... but on occasion you have to crank them up pretty high.

C-38

• 5 months later...
the best steel shooter I know (20 something at last years steel challenge) shoots a 12 moa c-more.

bigger is usually better for steel ... I use a 16 for everything. although I can't really tell the deference between his 12 and my 16 neither will wash out ... but on occasion you have to crank them up pretty high.

C-38

I know the same guy and I shoot a 12moa just like him ;)

I finished right about the same spot this year with an 8-min dot. I like the quick pickup of the 12, but five-to-go and speed option went a lot better for me in practice with a smaller dot and the others didn't change significantly so that's what I stuck with.

I've shoot anywhere from a 3 to 15 moa dot and saw one guy shooting a 20 moa.

The 20 moa was too big for me but for a long time my best SC score was with a 15 moa.

Currently I am running an 8 moa and it works great!

8 moa is big enough to quick up quickly but not too big to block out the target.

4 moa can be hard to find at times. If you pick it up quickly everytime then it works for you.