Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Suggestions For Replacement Parts

AZ38super

I was shooing my STI open gun today and my safety started self engaging.

Took a look at it and pulled the left side right off the gun. Took it to Derek (a local smith at the range) and he did a temp replacement for me but says I need to replace my safety, sear and hammer. I can limp by for only a short time.

I was looking for suggestions for replacement parts for the hammer, sear, and wide ambi safety. I will not be doing the install as I am not that strong when it comes to working on my gun yet.

Thanks for the help.

I was looking at the Brazos Pro Series trigger group for the hammer, sear, strut & springs.

Anyone have comments on this package?

Edited by AZ38super

When I was ordering my custom limited gun from Bob last year, I asked about different hammers and internals and he convinced me that the trigger group he uses (in his limited and open guns) is the best, period.

I was looking for suggestions for replacement parts for the hammer, sear, and wide ambi safety. I will not be doing the install as I am not that strong when it comes to working on my gun yet.

Ask the guy that will do the work. He will do better with parts he likes.

Extreme Engineering is the heat (especially when done by Rusty Kidd)! Too, everything that Bob (at Brazos) sells and does is great too!!! You can't go wrong with either.

SPC Richard A. White, Senior Medic

249th MP Detachment (EACF)

Camp Humphreys, ROK

Hold on a second... Unless you want to go doing everything... Things can be done to the replacement safety that prevent you from needing to do all the internals and a full trigger job. Like, if the sear pad on the replacement wasn't fully built up (like, it was a used part, or he cut too much off of it), it can be welded and refit (cost me $30).

A safety "self engaging"?? As in, turning itself on while you're shooting?? Depending on my grip, and the shape of the safety thumb pads, I can do this with either the heel of my left hand, or the first knuckle on my trigger finger (on the right side of an ambi). Those pads can be contoured to miss the meaty and bony parts of your hands (gently use a Dremel to remove material from the undersides until they fit you - do this with the safeties off the gun!! ;) ). The detent in the safety that the plunger engages can also be deepened - and you can use a stronger spring in the plunger tube (I think) to help hold the safety down once you've disengaged it.

If you're just wanting to do the full works - not happy w/ the current trigger job, want new bling, whatever ;) - I prefer the EE stuff. I have EE parts in my open gun, and STI factory parts in my L-10 gun (with a very respectable trigger job, BTW). The EE parts have better locktime, a very crisp, glass rod break, and it sounds cool in dry fire :D

XRE,

The original safety is toast. The problem as I was told and can see in the old left side safety is the sear and such was not set straight and the safety was cut to compensate for the mis-alignment.

I can see the cutting and wear on the safety so I believe that much as do two shooters I showed it to. This is my first STI so I am learning on the fly.

The parts are needed to correct the alignment problem. I just want the best options with the least amount of down time for custom fitting. I understand with open guns that drop in parts are not the usual option but close to it would be better.

Maybe I don't understand the original problem, then?? How is it self-engaging??

The alignment issue sounds scary... hopefully just some mis-fit parts, there, and not mis-aligned pin holes in the frame... :(

Just a little thread drift, anyone using a Koenig Hammer with Extreme Engineering Race Disconnector and Ultra Low Mass Sear? Will this set-up produce the same great trigger as the EE Extreme Ultimate Trigger Kit? I just have this bias for the looks of the Koenig Hammer :P

Just a little thread drift, anyone using a Koenig Hammer with Extreme Engineering Race Disconnector and Ultra Low Mass Sear? Will this set-up produce the same great trigger as the EE Extreme Ultimate Trigger Kit? I just have this bias for the looks of the Koenig Hammer :P

GMV-

Yes. I've used both hammers with the EE sear and disconnector and they work equally well. Like you, I prefer the looks of the Koenig.