Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

C-more Battery

al503

Without going into too much detail, I hadn't been able to get out for about 3 weeks or so before a match last Saturday. The C-more looked fine the last time I used it, nice and bright with a big corona around the dot at full intensity.

It seems as though the battery lost some of it's charge though and with the combination of the big yellow thing in the sky that we see very seldomly this time of year, I had a hard time picking up the dot. Did the C-more shuffle a couple of times and had a few bad stages.

Luckily, someone had a spare and I was able to put together a few good stages for the rest of the match.

I'm keeping at least a couple of spare batteries in the bag from now on. I'll never make that mistake again.

Chuck has a great price on them. Also, someone turned me on to a potentially cheaper version. You can buy batteries at a fishing store for "night bobbers" - they come as a pair, and are 1.5V each, and are half as tall as a regular DL1/3N. You put two in, and they apparently fit great, and make 3V, just like the DL1/3N. They're about $1.50 a pair... I haven't tried them, yet, but... You could just about swap them every time you pick up the gun at that price, and be no more expensive than DL1/3Ns (at $4.50 or so each).

I bought 5 DL1/3Ns from Chuck for, like $20.

I don't know much about electricity and batteries but if put two 1.5v batteries in line with each other, doesn't that just give you 1.5v for roughly twice as long? I don't think you can stack up the voltages as you increase the battery count.

I don't know much about electricity and batteries but if put two 1.5v batteries in line with each other, doesn't that just give you 1.5v for roughly twice as long? I don't think you can stack up the voltages as you increase the battery count.

In this simple case, you add the voltages that are presented in series. So, you get 3V.

Get the night-bobber replacements in the fishing section of Wal Mart. $1.50 for two

There's less total electrical goo in two small batteries versus one larger one (usually-- sometimes you can take apart a battery and find a stack of small ones inside the outer can), but at half the price, they last way more than half as long.

FWIW, one of the names for the 3V cell is "2L76", meaning two-of-the-76-size-batteries-stacked-up. 76-size cells are the 1.5v bobber ones.

Couple of things. First, I learned a while ago that before a big match, just throw in a new battery. It's cheap insurance. I get all mine from Radio Shack. They're cheap and they always have them. One thing/possible caution about using the 1.5V batteries. The one time that I did that my C-more got fried and had all kinds of problems to where I had to send it back. Fried a diode or something. Information above my pay grade. Maybe it was the batteries, maybe it wasn't. But I won't do that again.

SPC Richard A. White, Senior Medic

249th MP Detachment (EACF)

Camp Humphreys, ROK

15 weeks until I get home...and counting.

Chuck has a great price on them. Also, someone turned me on to a potentially cheaper version. You can buy batteries at a fishing store for "night bobbers" - they come as a pair, and are 1.5V each, and are half as tall as a regular DL1/3N. You put two in, and they apparently fit great, and make 3V, just like the DL1/3N. They're about $1.50 a pair... I haven't tried them, yet, but... You could just about swap them every time you pick up the gun at that price, and be no more expensive than DL1/3Ns (at $4.50 or so each).

I've tried the pair! They're the Silveroxide type (that's why they're cheaper) but they don't last as long as the DL1/3N battery (Lithium-type)

I've settled with the latter.

I've tried the pair! They're the Silveroxide type (that's why they're cheaper) but they don't last as long as the DL1/3N battery (Lithium-type)

Ah, but silver oxide batteries have a nice smooth discharge curve, so they do get dimmer faster, but they don't die suddenly.

Watch out for over lubrication also,

If you use spray on Breakfree or something similar, check under your battery cap.

You may find it shorting out your battery, the cover doesn't seem to be waterproof.

Where do you dind the lithium type batteries (DL1/3N)?

• 1 month later...

Where do you dind the lithium type batteries (DL1/3N)?

If you go to Batteries Plus and say that they are for for medical useage they will sell you batteries at half price. I use (2) 357 Lithium-type in my C-Moore. about $1.50 each