Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Canadian Gun Laws On High Cap Mags

Quick question

selling off some stuff..in that stuff is a beat up AR mag..

a guy from Alberta Canada emailed to buy it..

I was thinking Canada had a ban on private citizens buying and/or owning high cap mags???

anyone know for sure??? thanks for any info or links on Canadian gun laws..

Canada has an absolute ban on the civilian posession of handgun mags > 10 rounds. Although there is a provision in Canadian law for hi-cap licenses for competitive shooters, the official position of all provinces is "no such licenses shall be issued."

Corrected - I typoed and should have said 10.

Edited by Rob Boudrie

Canadian handgun magazines are limited to 10 round capacity. Those of us in the U.S "block" our mags by adding a "limiter" to the interior of the magazine that allows the follower to travel only as far as it needs to so to load to 10 rounds only. Arredendo (sp) manufacturers and sells these devices. You install them in place of the standard magazine insert, drill a rivet hole in the insert and the magazine base plate and install a pop rivet.

You now have a Canadian legal 10 round magazine that utilizes a factory hi-cap mag body with a "not easily removable" blocking device that limits capacity to legal limits.

contact Gunnar Christensen at www.armco-guns.com as I believe he has several "formulas" you can use to assemble Canada legal magazines for hi-cap pistols. His formulas have worked for me (and are completely legal) over the past 10 years. ;)

see the IPSC Canada website (www.IPSC-Canada.org) for links to the Federal Gun Law webpage.

Edited by Chuck D

Rifle mags...limited to 5 rounds.

My advice....sell the mag to someone in the United States. I've sold mags (acquired them, blocked them in the above mentioned fashion, then shipped them) to a friend in the past. :ph34r:

HUGE pain in the ass. I'd NEVER do it again. :wacko:

Edited by Chuck D

B)-->

QUOTE(Paul B @ Mar 20 2006, 08:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Rob, are you sure it isn't 10 rounds for handguns? I remember talking to Canadian shooters who were griping about the 10 round limitation? Maybe it has changed.

Typo - should have said 10.

The Canadian experience has valuable lessons about how the game is played:

1. When the original bill C68 was proposed, competitors objected. Proponents countered with the provision for the hi-cap licenses and the objections were considered addressed.

2. Once the law was passed, the gun control organizations started to lobby against the issuance of any such licenses.

3. When an official of IPSC Canada was permitted to address a parlimentary body regarding the impact of gun laws on competitors, he was specifically required to agree to make no mention of the 10 round issue, or it's impact on competitors, as a condition of being allowed to speak.

4. Once the debate was frames as "legitimate competetive needs vs. public safety", it was easy to both acknowledge that the competitive needs were indeed legitimate while concurrently stating that they were not as important as public safety.

So if I want to go shoot the Canadina nationals, all I have to do is block my mags? Or can we apply for this high cap competition exemption? Also what are my Canadian bros' shooting, I'd hate to fly up there with ten rounders to find out the big stick should have made the trip?

So if I want to go shoot the Canadina nationals, all I have to do is block my mags? Or can we apply for this high cap competition exemption? Also what are my Canadian bros' shooting, I'd hate to fly up there with ten rounders to find out the big stick should have made the trip?

You could apply for an exemption. If you got it, I think you'd be the first person in history to get one. Better work on some rivited blocks.

Contrary to popular belief and/or the words installed in the original version of Bill C-68, there are NO exemptions for handgun magazines that hold more than 10 rounds of ammunition.

Block 'em and DON'T forget the pop rivet. Once they're blocked, they MUST remain blocked or a trip to a Canadian prison is in your future. ;)

I believe that C68 contains a provision for a high capacity license, however, the policy is that no such licenses will be issued. Other than this non-issued license, there is no exemption or provision for posession of said magazines in Canada, eh.

Also, don't forget the Canadian ban on hollowpoint handgun ammo, barrels under 105mm in length** (grandfathered for guns registred to Canadians prior to that law), and a ban on calibers such as 25ACP.

* - why not 100mm? That would have let pocket pistols like the S&W 686 w/4" barrel and the Glock 24 into Canada - they found that adding 5mm banned many more guns so they did it.

Stuart, the law for AR mags is 5 rounds and 10 for handguns. My $0.02 advice is that it's not worth your trouble to block the mag just so you can sell it to the guy.

Interesting enough, while we have restriction on handgun barrels <105mm (ie needs to be at least 4 1/8") there's no limit on the AR barrel length. I have a 11.5 and 14.5" Bushmaster in my collection.

Rob, there's no never a ban on the use of hollowpoint bullets in Canada. For a time there was a ban on the importation of hp bullets but that has since been lifted. FWIW I shoot MG 180gr jhp in my SVI for IPSC.

Edited by n2299

Nick and everyone..

thanks for the information...I took your advice and passed on all the extra trouble...

interesting though..the guy did not seem aware of his own laws..or was trying to get me to ship...as he stated he shot with 30 round mags at his range...

interesting though..the guy did not seem aware of his own laws..or was trying to get me to ship...as he stated he shot with 30 round mags at his range...

Ask him how many rounds came out of the 30rd mag??? 5 maybe. :P

As a side note... the Rock River Arms' LAR-15 pistol was just "approved" last week as a pistol therefore it can be shot with a 10rd mag. Now, how they are going to police the 10 rd mags just for the pistol is beyond me. :)

Edited by n2299

I feel I have to answer this....

First I got a bunch of 140mm and 170 mag's..perfectly legal as long as they are pin to 10 rounds, for center rifle same but pin at 5 rounds...icluding AR

Hollow point I by them by the cases Hornady 125 HAP or MG JHP, I haven't been able to get the Zero just yet...

Come to the national....be prepare to reload....a lot....it's not just a legal thing, how unfair would it be <_< but I don't believe you have to pin them.....just load to 10 rounds.

The barrel must be 4" , 32 caliber is ban...unless you shoot Olympic style then you can own several of them

• 2 months later...
Rob, there's no never a ban on the use of hollowpoint bullets in Canada. For a time there was a ban on the importation of hp bullets but that has since been lifted. FWIW I shoot MG 180gr jhp in my SVI for IPSC.

Thanks for the info. I had assumed it was banned due to the importation issue which I encountered when visiting Canada many years ago.