Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Marking Brass With Markers

1911jerry

Jerry,

In the lack of the technological advances in brass marking, you can revert to the old tried and true method of marking the base of your brass with a sharpie or magic marker. Unique colors seem to work the best. I like purple. I usually place them in a box, primer up, after gauging them and just run a marker across the base of the bullet. This process also gives you the opportunity to look for high primers.

Works for me :)

dj

I tried marking the rim so I could tell if it was mine laying on the ground.

After about 35 rounds I gave up, too much work.

My next plan is to get a bunch of different colors of Avery "Marks A Lot" broad markers

and develop a color code that would identify how many times the brass has been reloaded.

Marking the bottom of reloaded ammo in a box is the way to go. No silly strpes just use a different color and check for low primers at the same time! :)

FM

Marking the ends of the case wasn't helping anymore, so I made my own marker after seeing that Nolan is sold out of his Hosercam model.

If you shoot 9mm or 38super then you'll find that a 3/8" drill bit - .375 - makes a perfect size round hole in piece of wood, plastic, fiberglass, whatever's on hand.

Used a short piece of 2x4 that was laying around. Chucked the 3/8 bit, drilled down a little ways, put in a piece of loaded Super ammo and layed a fat-tip Sharpie along the top of the board. Kept drilling the wood until the marker was hitting the middle of the Super case, then widened out the hole a bit till the ammo spun around in my fingers easily. That's it.

If you shoot 40cal, 10mm or 9x25 and only have a 3/8 drill then you'll have to buy or borrow one of those bits that's got a .420 or .425 cutter and a 3/8 back end to fit your drill.

If your ranges don't police up spent brass once in a while then for sure you'll have to mark the sides of your cases to spot them among the tons of throw-away cases.

Edited by eric nielsen

i tried nail polish on the rear (primer side) of my barss and so far it lasts and i know that it's mine ;)

So do you use the 'Passion Pink' or the 'Hawaiin Sunrise' ? And do you get any funny looks at the make-up counter ? :D

seriously i use pink so i know it's mine alright ;)

I put mine in moonclip holders and they stay neatly waiting on me. Even get to keep my brass at big matches. BTW This only works on real, I mean wheel guns, not bottom feeders!

Careful, your smug is showing. ;)