Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Speeding Up My Draw Without Even Trying.

standles

Well I have run several holster but have never found on that I really liked. I ended up modifying them to get closer but never got it "like I wanted it".

I was avoiding buying a new holster because I figured they were all alike and all would require some mods to make me happy so why waste more money.

I went out for some training with Matt and he let me borrow his Ghost Holster.

It was different so I bought the ULTIMATE GHOST HOLSTER.

WOW!

There were enough adjustments that I didn't have to Mod anything. The STI fit perfectly and was secure without wedges/screws/ etc...

I positioned it to the natural fall of my hand.

I did about 50 or so slow draws to get a feel then went for speed.

I SHAVED .5 SECONDS OFF MY AVG DRAW AND ALL I DID WAS BUY THIS HOLSTER!

Of course I wasn't the fastest to start with. Avg 1.8 draws.

Now I feel I have a honest chance of breaking the 1 second barrier.

If you haven't tried it give it a whirl.

So what holster(s) were you using previously? Just to compare...

Just remember to lock it.

Sorry if this is off topic or not in the correct area but I had a recent experience this reminded me of.

I have always held my arms very tense in preparation for the draw and found that when I relaxed them I was .25s faster. I finally did get that 1 second draw, as long as the target is close enough! :D

Edited by John Kane

Given that guys are drawing out of Kydex at the same speed they draw out of a race holster.... I don't think it's the holster :)

I think you're seeing combo of the recent training + a manifestation of "trick of the day" that Brian talks about. Basically, using the new equipment allowed you to get past a problem you had in your head... :D

For the most part, the race holsters will all allow similar adjustments - including cant, tilt, rotation, etc, to allow you to line them up with your arm, etc. You may not have found the right combo with the previous holster - which can inhibit the draw somewhat. But.... the Kydex holsters generally don't have these adjustments, and they're still fast, once you're dialed in on them.

Besides, attributing the performance jump to equipment alone sort of minimizes the skill improvements you've made, doncha think???? :lol:

I use the new Ghost holster for my open gun. The fastest recorded draw to first alpha was something like 0.96 (hey, I am an uncoordiated old guy!) on a target about 3 yards away. A few weeks back, I had a first alpha time of 1.08 drawing my single stack from a comp-tac kydex holster on a target about the same distance. To me, it looks like I gave up 0.12 seconds by using a completely non-adjustable holster.

Later,

Chuck

To me, it looks like I gave up 0.12 seconds by using a completely non-adjustable holster.

The big dogs, and several folks on this forum, find that they lose a tenth or less going to a Kydex, non-adjustable holster. In the scheme of things, this is effectively nothing... ;)

To me, it looks like I gave up 0.12 seconds by using a completely non-adjustable holster.

The big dogs, and several folks on this forum, find that they lose a tenth or less going to a Kydex, non-adjustable holster. In the scheme of things, this is effectively nothing... ;)

It surprised the crap out of me! I will continue with the ghost for open since my gun since the barrel length and all would make it sort of tough to put into kydex, but everyting else will probably go plastic. I would hesitate if all I did was Steel Challenge but I have not gone in that direction yet. I am saving that for when I can no longer run. :(

Later,

Chuck

Yeah thats it..

It was the training not the equipment :)

I agree that it very well could have been a mental block. It wouldn't be the first time I have had one :)

While I guess I have to give Matt his props and attribute some of it to the training, I think being able to finally get my hand positioned on the gun correctly help a big deal. I also noticed the dot lining up more naturally and not wobboling onto tgt. This I think was the better grip and me not juggling grip position while pushing out to tgt.

I will go back and see if I slow down that .5 second again.

As for what other holster.... It was a race hoslter but I really don't attribute any fault to the holster. I just couldn't get it adjusted to my body type/ style. I will defer from naming them publically since it might be interpreted as a negative review. If you have to know then PM me.

Steven

Your doing something right cutting .5 from the draw, but don't give credit to the gear, you're the one doing it. If a Ghost (or any holster) could cut .5 off the draw I'd have one. Imagine a .25 point blank draw, sweet.

Technique is way more important that the gear IMO. Spending $150-200 bucks with a good instructor will help your draw way more than a new holster.

Edited by Loves2Shoot

My draw time from a Wilson Practical leather holster versus my first Ghost was 0.10 slower.

However that first Ghost (my wife has taken it), the Guga Ribas for my Para, and the Ultimate Ghost for my Glock makes me happy, and that's what it's all about.

Making sure you lock it is good advice, but making sure you UNLOCK it at the proper time can be pretty important as well.

Edited by JFD

I have no doubt that your equipment does make a difference.

I have an Ultimate Ghost and I can draw on average about .25 sec faster than from a concealment type holster.

The difference is not dramatic, but there is a measurable difference.

Tls

To those who say gear doesn't make a difference, I'll give you a holster if you promise to use it at any matches where I shoot against you. It's a leather rig that is all about retention, a thumb snap would be faster than this thing. It sucks. I switched to kydex and dumped a half-second on the first draw.

I have a big name Kydex rig that, even with the screws loosened the whole way, will bind unless I am meticulous about about drawing straight up out of the holster. Any lateral deviation will lead to a semi wedgie. I hate that holster because I have to focus on the draw, when most of the time my draw is just there.

I've settled on the Bladetech DOH and the Ghost, I'm sure there are others that work just as well, but take it from me that that is not always the case. If you are faster from a Ghost, who cares why, buy it.

There are some horrible hoslters out there (ie Fobus) Ghost, Universal Academy, CR, Gubas, Safariland, Blade Tech, and Uncle Mikes (the one with the paddle) all will be fast enough and work well and you can spend $20-$250 with the same results with proper technique. I've never had problems with Kytex holsters binding, but my draw stroke is pretty consistant. I have more than a few holsters, and John is dead on, it just needs to work for you.