Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ball And Detent Slide Racker

AustinMike

I recently acquired a new-to-me open gun. It's got a slide racker with the set screw located where I have to pull the slide back to unscrew it. I'm doing some experimenting with different recoil springs and between the awkward screw loosening/tightening and having to keep squirting Loc-tite on it, it's getting kind of annoying. I've seen a gun fitted with a ball and detent setup so the slide racker just comes out with a good tug, but my searches for a source for this aren't coming up with anything. Can a slide be easily retrofitted with this setup?

This is something that I first saw done by Joey Hardy and with his permission we incorporated that system in our guns. It is the neatest thing since sliced bread.

Without seeing your gun it would be hard to say if it could be done on your gun.

Edited by chuckbradley

His gun is actually a Hardy gun, Chuck :) Has a Sidewinder on it, now.

Mike, in the mean time, if you're going to swapping stuff out a bunch to try things, keep the set screw loose on the racker, and just put it in the slide to actuate the slide. When you get ready to shoot, pull it out and put it in your pocket, or something. The slide racker isn't required for the gun to function, just so that you can get ahold of the slide around those Swensons.... :D

Wuss.. man up and shoot lefty :D

Actually, pre-packaged ball-detent setscrews (called 'spring plungers' or 'ball plungers') are available for a few $ eaxh from the usual supply houses (motto: 'minimum order $10K or 10K pieces'), though I haven't investigated if they're available in a size that would replace the setscrew on a racker-- my guess is they're probably too long and would need to be milled into the slide.

Thanks, ya'll. I may have to give J.L. a call and ask about this. Or I could just ditch the racker and those Swensons off before I get used to them - never have had problems with thumb rubbing on the slide on my other blasters. The racker is kind of cool for propping the gun up though. <_<

After you do some initial eval, you're only going to take the racker off to clean or swap springs between steel and IPSC matches. That's really not that big a deal ;)

I had one fitted onto my Open SV. It's the Saul Kirsch setup by Maurice Drummen.

It works fine and the conversion from screw-type (indeed PITA) to detent-ball type wasn't that expensive.

Recommandable!

Edited by schmitz

That's really not that big a deal

The "cool factor" is always a big deal! B)

It is nice just to be able to yank off the racker and not worry about stripping/loosing the tiny allen screw.

That's really not that big a deal

The "cool factor" is always a big deal! B)

Yeah, but it appears that you're not worred about "cool factor" but about how much of a PITA it is to take the rack off all the time when testing things (ie, you're going to ditch a racker and Swensons - and have a new ambi fit - because of it....). That's a little different than having some new foo... ;)

My point is that taking the racker off and on is not that big a deal to necessitate a lot of parts swapping. If you *want* different things, and a ball/detent racker is what you want, that's one thing, and I can totally understand that. What I can't understand is why you'd want to spend $150-200 on a new safety and fit just to get away from having to turn a set screw every once in a while.... ;)

Granted, yours is slightly more painful than mine, cause you can't get to the screw when the slide is held on the slide stop, but.... I showed you the easy way to hold it so it's not so much of a PITA, too... :D I can show you again :)

But... heck, it's your money... :lol:

Edited by XRe

Yeah, but it appears that you're not worred about "cool factor" but about how much of a PITA it is to take the rack off all the time when testing things (ie, you're going to ditch a racker and Swensons - and have a new ambi fit - because of it....). That's a little different than having some new foo...

My point is that taking the racker off and on is not that big a deal to necessitate a lot of parts swapping. If you *want* different things, and a ball/detent racker is what you want, that's one thing, and I can totally understand that.

Augh! Over-analysis alert! :wacko: Bob H. showed me the one on his gun and it seems pretty handy, if not rather cool. I'm curious about where and how much to get one, that's all. Nothing I'd be willing to break the bank over, but if it's not too pricey I might consider it next time I'm having other work done to the gun. One less allen wrench to have to keep track of, if nothing else.

What I can't understand is why you'd want to spend $150-200 on a new safety and fit just to get away from having to turn a set screw every once in a while....

Just because I don't usually litter my posts with smilies doesn't mean I'm not being facetious. <_<:P:):D:blink::lol:

It is nice just to be able to yank off the racker and not worry about stripping/loosing the tiny allen screw.

Exactomundo! B)

Bob H. showed me the one on his gun and it seems pretty handy, if not rather cool.

They're definitely way cool....

Just because I don't usually litter my posts with smilies doesn't mean I'm not being facetious. <_<:P:):D:blink::lol:

Uh.... failure to communicate tone is not my problem... <_< <_< :lol:

Look in brownells catalog page 147.

The crane ball and spring kit is what is being use,

Use a 1/6 end mill or drill.

With the slide racker in the slide drill through the racker into the slide for a pilot

stay to the left of the slide where their is enough material for the little kit

to be used. The instructions with the kit should let you see what to do if

not better get someone to hel ya out.

Jim Anglin :blink: