Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Self-induced Performance Pressure And Higher Expectations

txaggie

During the past year I was classified as an SSP/SS in IDPA. During the fall I was performing at a pretty good level and competing on par with EX classed shooters. Just before the end of the year, I took the classifier and moved up to EX. The first couple of matches after the first of the year I was still performing at a pretty high level. However, at this point, my mind started to screw with me. Now I was expecting that kind of performance, almost having to prove to myself that I deserved the new higher classification. I seem to have lost the appreciation for a good performance because it is now that I expect that level all the time, instead of appreciating it when it happens. Of course, now I think that I am not relaxing and enjoying myself as much as I should.

How do you all handle the added pressure of competing at a new level?

Thanks.

What Jake says may seem a bit simple, and not the answer you were looking for, but he is exactly right.

When you expect something to happen and don't trust that it will on it's own, you're always going to try to do it better. You'll rush, shoot poorly, and wonder why. As your skill level goes up you start to feel like you're not shooting as fast as you used to, so you push. In reality, you're probably shooting faster than you did before.

If you "just aim" and forget about trying so hard, you'll amaze yourself. ;)

I have found the same thing happening to me. What I found most helpfull is to go back and watch video of my wife and I when we started. I see how incredibly SLOW we were and I appreciate what I have accomplished and remind myself that it is all good.

I know you may not be able to do exactly this; as not everyone videos themselves. However, there are probably other ways you can remind yourself how much you have improved. I find that restores my confidence and makes it more fun at the same time...

Hope this helps,

Ira

I understand completly, cant spell it but I do understand it.

I made Sporting Clay Master and I had a teaching tag. I felt as though I was shooting for other peoples expectations and Not my own expectations...=my own Goals. What you are fealing is realy worry about what others will think. So are you shooting for 'Them'? or for your self. Just keep it simple and shoot for your self.

My best reason for shooting is for what I see in the Mirror.

Jamie B)

Classes are just meant to make people "feel good." Your personal performance is all that matters, and it only matters to you.

This helps me, 'cause I used to worry about it too, now I don't care. I shoot better now too, go figure.

Edited by Loves2Shoot

How do you all handle the added pressure of competing at a new level?

Ask yourself where this pressure is coming from.

You got bumped up and now you feel you have something to prove everytime you draw your gun.

The mental dialogue goes something like this:

"I got promoted and now I'm a ______ . I'm supposed to be better."

You are not supposed to be better, you are better.

If not you wouldn't have gotten bumped.

The pressure is internal.

Let it go and just focus on the game.

Tls

Lots of great advice everyone, thank you very much. I was looking at some video of myself last night, and it sure looks better on film than it felt when I was actually doing it. I think the biggest thing that I have to relearn is to compete for myself and just let go and enjoy.

Oh yeah, and AIM :D

Thanks again.

My friend and I drove four hours to an IDPA classifier last year, on a work night, because I did not believe my initial MM classification adequately represented my skills. I was very highly motivated, pushing the envelope the whole match. I finished 1.01 seconds short of SS, in part because I was the third shooter in a row to fumble the mag change behind the 20 yd barrier. Then we got to drive another four hours back home.

I've been competing for a little more than a year now, and my anxiety level is much lower. Ten of the matches have been IDPA. I was HOA in the fifth and tenth matches. I agree 100% that anxiety impairs performance, and as it has faded, I've relaxed and performed better. I don't have to remember four or five things when I step to the line. I now make a conscious effort to calm down and relax, focusing on the first shot and the next thing I plan to do. Only then do I nod "Ready!"

There is no "expectation" to perform, except that which you put on yourself.

Every time you move up, the whole point is, you deserve to be in that higher classification. So, since you are supposed to be there, the only "pressure" (read, ambition) you should have in your mind is the next goal you have set for yourself.

Moving up should be a challenge, and then a reward, a thing to be enjoyed, not a burden to your avocation.

Going into competition, just concentrate on those things which got you where you are, and those things which you wish to improve. Nothing else matters.

Andy C.

Just think about how fortunate you are . Now you will be able to "sandbag" at a higher level. That is untill a future classifier determines you must move again and "sandbag" at an even higher level. Remember that no good deed goes unpunished forever. You were sandbagging for too long and they caught you, He, he. :D:D Now you can act normal again, for a while anyway. Yup, yessir, it's all you.

Could it be that now you are throwing off your game to justify your previous sandbagging??? :o:D

Pretend you're Rob Leatham or Malcolm Smith - and have fun.

be

Ghost Dog, I used to pretend that I was Malcolm Smith. But, I could never quite convince my bike that it was his 450 Desertmaster....

At least when I crash pretending to be Robbie, I don't wake up with a tube in my nose. ;):lol:

(major thread drift, throwing rooster tail of dirt)

"On Any Sunday", how could a film with such incredible bike riding footage have such a lame sound-track? :wacko: No choice but to hit the mute button and crank up your own vibe I guess.

Malcolm Smith was awesome! No matter what terrain he was in, he just never let off the throttle.

" Go till you see blood or smell $#!% !!!" ;) That was Malcolm.

I think the biggest thing that I have to relearn is to compete for myself and just let go and enjoy.

Two things Lanny Bassham told me about being competitive:

1. Pressure to win is good, but put the pressure on during your practice sessions, Let the Process of your practice allow you win.

2. The Threshold between Optimum Performance and "Just Having Fun" are very close. Relax and shoot, if you've been practicing, your Subconcious will do the rest, it's when we use our Concious mind to shoot, that we start thinking about everything else that doesn't matter and that distraction is what makes us tank.

• 3 weeks later...

When was the last time you felt physically older on your birthday.

Sounds like you expect to feel (shoot) different when you graduate to the next classification.

Remember it’s a game

Just play your game and keep it fun.

If the game is no fun you won't play anymore.