Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gunsmithing

speed

Want to learn how to fit a barrel on my sti 2011 frame. Can anybody tell me if a bull barrel is easier to fit in 9mm opposed to a bushing barrel. I'm using a standard sti frame-non ramped. Also I want to keep the gun as light as possible. I assume a bushing barrel is lighter, not positive about that, but if its a lot harder to fit for a first timer then I"ll go with the bull barrel.

Thanks

The most effective way I found to properly fit a barrel is to let the Gunsmith do it. It is not as easy as it looks. You got lugs, links, ramp, hood all kinds of stuff that has to be fit correctly for the gun to work.

I am not a Gunsmith. I have been an R&D Machinist for 26 years. I know my way around the machine shop and the equipment in it fully. I wanted to see what the big deal was concerning the building of a competition level 1911. It couldnt be all that hard right?

I did build my own high cap. Para. I fit the slide to the frame, I fit the thumb safety, I even lightened the slide. I radiused all the edges on the frame and yes, I fit the Bull Barrel. Well, sort of. I was able to ask a friend who has built alot of Raceguns for some of the best shooters in the northeast alot of questions as I went. He was patient with me and gave me the hints I needed to do it right. When it came time to fit the barrel, I was doing ok, I did the frame cut, I fit the lugs, I fit the hood, I fit the bull barrel to the slide, then I moved along to fit the lower lugs. I understood the mechanics of the whole thing, sure. What I didnt understand was how quickly and how easy it would be to get too aggresive and go too far. It didnt take me long to find out. I went right ahead and almost ruined a brand new .40 Barsto Bull Barrel by over cutting the bottom lugs and it happened very quickly. I was fortunate to have my friend available to rescue me and save me the cost of a new barrel.

My gun shoots well and I am happy with it. Very proud to have been able to build it. However, When it's time for my new open blaster to be built, I know I'll be asking my friend to build it for me. He knows these things way better than I and can get it done a whole lot faster. I'll stick with a professional and have a Gunsmith do it. Just my .02 from my own experience..........

Want to learn how to fit a barrel on my sti 2011 frame. Can anybody tell me if a bull barrel is easier to fit in 9mm opposed to a bushing barrel. I'm using a standard sti frame-non ramped. Also I want to keep the gun as light as possible. I assume a bushing barrel is lighter, not positive about that, but if its a lot harder to fit for a first timer then I"ll go with the bull barrel.

Thanks

The bushing barrel is lighter than a bull barrel. Is your goal an open gun? If so, I'd use the bull barrel the extra weight slows the unlocking just a bit. We're talking miliseconds, not, something that wiil "slow" you down. As for the fitting, spend some time examining the way one you have is put together....go slowly....and use a cheap barrel. If you screw it up, it doesn't hurt so bad.

• 8 months later...
there seems to be alot of black magic and hocus-pocus to barrel fitting and really shouldnt be.

a reasonably skilled, mechanically inclined patient person should be able to tackle this job w/o problems.

Harmon

This is true, you can certainly manage to fit the barrel into the gun with some simple instructions. (There are a few tricks to make it easier) However the tips and expierence that comes from being taught in person can't be replaced.

You'll get it in the gun and it can work, but it's not going to be as accurate as it could be... That's why the smiths get paid the $$$.

I have been working on a .38 Super Gunsmith Fit Kart Ramped Barrel in a new gun for several hours and I am not there yet. It takes me about 4-5 hours and is slow, tedious, hard work. I not only have to cut the lower lugs, but I also have to deal with the rest of the fit in the lower end. I have used $200.00+ worth of tools doing this and that does not include the chamber reamer ($60-75) which will be the last thing I do. i still have to fit the bushing and get it to pass the gravity test.

If anyone with a little talent and skill can do this themselves, I will be amazed and delighted. I have been doing this for 20+ years and it's still very hard work for me.

All I can do is wish you good luck. As for a bull barrel, they are not easy to fit and they require a different recoil system than the regular barrel uses. The slide has to be cut for the recoil spring reverse plug.

Last year, we spent about 10 hours getting an Ed Brown Drop In Officers barrel in the SHORTSWORD 01. It does shoot like a bullseye gun, but mine has a Colt $10.00 take out stock barrel in it and it shoots good enough for my purposes.

Here are the tools you need for a gunsmith fit.

203445493.jpg

Check out Schuemann barrels for some GOOD info on timing. Wil also has an

available "timing test kit".

Jerry Kuhnhausen's (sp?) books have a wealth of info on the 1911 platform.

Given your background, you can do it. Probably hit it at 90%-95% of perfect.

It's that last 5-10% where the learning curve gets steep really fast. LOTS of

things affect how a gun runs---from the barrel profile to the firing pin stop

radius, and everything in between.

Have fun with the first one, and consider it a learning experience. If the first barrel

does not become a paperweight, you will have done OK.

It does not take an armory of tools to fit a barrel.

If you know what you are doing, and are not in a hurry, the job requires nothing more sophisticated than a chain saw file.

A proper chamber reamer is the only tool for that job. Depending on the barrel you start with, it may not be needed.

Thanks

Can you get an unramped bull barrel? What slide are you using? Has it been fit to the frame yet? Does the frame have the proper ramp contour for a 9mm non ramped barrel?

Edited by wide45

there seems to be alot of black magic and hocus-pocus to barrel fitting and really shouldnt be.

a reasonably skilled, mechanically inclined patient person should be able to tackle this job w/o problems.

Harmon

This is true, you can certainly manage to fit the barrel into the gun with some simple instructions. (There are a few tricks to make it easier) However the tips and expierence that comes from being taught in person can't be replaced.

You'll get it in the gun and it can work, but it's not going to be as accurate as it could be... That's why the smiths get paid the $$$.

Even though I have one degree in mech engineering, I am not sure how I could properly fit a barrel into a 1911/2011. The perfect fit is with all fits just snug (lower lugs to slide pin and upper barrel hood snug against the slide).

The problem is you have to start with a barrel that is too big..... and end up cutting it just right without overcutting.

Query: if the slide and frame are fitted just right, and the barrel lugs are oversized.... how do I "fit it"? Wouldn't it be too tight and bind if I tried to fit them up?

makes me wonder.

Edited by bountyhunter

I have been working on a .38 Super Gunsmith Fit Kart Ramped Barrel in a new gun for several hours and I am not there yet. It takes me about 4-5 hours and is slow, tedious, hard work. I not only have to cut the lower lugs, but I also have to deal with the rest of the fit in the lower end. I have used $200.00+ worth of tools doing this and that does not include the chamber reamer ($60-75) which will be the last thing I do. i still have to fit the bushing and get it to pass the gravity test.

If anyone with a little talent and skill can do this themselves, I will be amazed and delighted. I have been doing this for 20+ years and it's still very hard work for me.

All I can do is wish you good luck. As for a bull barrel, they are not easy to fit and they require a different recoil system than the regular barrel uses. The slide has to be cut for the recoil spring reverse plug.

Last year, we spent about 10 hours getting an Ed Brown Drop In Officers barrel in the SHORTSWORD 01. It does shoot like a bullseye gun, but mine has a Colt $10.00 take out stock barrel in it and it shoots good enough for my purposes.

Here are the tools you need for a gunsmith fit.

203445493.jpg

Dave,

Don't recognize some of the tools on your bench, care to identify and explain the intended use?

203442307.jpg

I can just see cutting the end of the hood and the sides with a chainsaw file! I do have two of them and I do use them in this task, but there are some other tools that I use, also.

Once again, I bow to the Experts. I have only been doing this stuff for 20 years and by now, these barrels should just drop in at my command! And after fitting the hood and upper and lower lugs, who cares if the chamber is too short?

I Do!

As a post script, the .38 Super ramped barrel is in. I figure about six hours, maybe seven. The gun will do the gravity test, which means it won't self destruct. I had to take about 100 pictures along the way so that took some extra time, too. I am doing a lesson for the Alumni Class on the finer points af pistolsmithing and this lesson will be in four parts due to the difficulty involved in doing it right.

I used to do these barrels back in the good old days when I was building red eye race guns, but that was 15 years ago. I had forgotton what a PITA they were to get right.

The chainsaw file you need is the 3/16" one. It measures about .186 so it will go through the link if need be.