Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Local Club Matches

Lostcrawfish

Just curious if anyone's club does or has considered adding 1 or more steel challenge stages to the regular weekly stages, or local clubs that actually run all 7 stages on a regular basis? I see quite a few guys in our club that have a lot of trouble on steel at ranges >15 yards, and it gave me fits until I started practicing more on longer steel shots. Seems to me it would not only be a lot of fun, but a great opportunity to get more work in to improve accuracy/speed skills on small targets. I know it's not exactly cheap to set up 7 stages, I priced the steel cost for the whole setup on the net at about $2700 without stands. Possibly cheaper from local industrial yards. I asked a couple of ROs/discipline directors in our club about it, but the initial response wasn't exactly overwhelming.....

That is a great idea. Just remember that Open guns with Major loads will kill the steel eventually....Velocity kills! Some shooters wont like it because they will have to use their sights and aim, hence possibly the reason that they arent exactly excited about it.

I set up the 7 stages several times a year just for practice since I go to the Steel Challenge, and it has helped my IPSC shooting immensely! DougC

If it is a USPSA match, steel has to fall to score.

True so just run it as a side match that is not scored as part of your regular USPSA match.

I am just starting to get folks interested in shooting steel at my club. I got a dueling tree and have instigated some 1on1 stuff. It is fun to see the better shooters flounder like a fish out of water <Evil laugh> :D

Just curious if anyone's club does or has considered adding 1 or more steel challenge stages to the regular weekly stages, or local clubs that actually run all 7 stages on a regular basis? I see quite a few guys in our club that have a lot of trouble on steel at ranges >15 yards, and it gave me fits until I started practicing more on longer steel shots. Seems to me it would not only be a lot of fun, but a great opportunity to get more work in to improve accuracy/speed skills on small targets. I know it's not exactly cheap to set up 7 stages, I priced the steel cost for the whole setup on the net at about $2700 without stands. Possibly cheaper from local industrial yards. I asked a couple of ROs/discipline directors in our club about it, but the initial response wasn't exactly overwhelming.....

we hold a separate s/c match 8 months outta the year...you can make some coin cause the only expense after the steel is paid off is paint.

We have a local match in Longview, TX that usually includes about four steel stages, and one IDPA-type stage. It's very informal and a lot of fun. You can shoot anything you want, but if you use competitition stuff it's noted with the results.

The organizers have duplicated several of the Steel Challenge stages, and one match was mainly comprised of those stages. I thought I was kicking *ss and taking names when I shot Smoke and Hope in 3.5 seconds. Then I watched Shooting Gallery a couple of weeks ago and saw two guys do it in 1.71.

If you want more info from the organizers, PM me and I'll give you their e-mail addresses.

Steel Challenge is great for several reasons--

-- it's all about transitions

-- easy to learn and tough to master

-- the stages are repeated so you can track your progress

-- easy to run, easy to score, easy to setup and tear down

-- great for beginners, less gear needed

-- easy to run with .22's

Ideally, find a club and get a separate steel match going. A few of us in our club wanted steel matches a few years ago and convinced the club to buy enough for 4 stages... then a little later, the steel for the remaining 3 stages. If you get good steel, even Major loads take a while to beat it up, and the competitive folks will be downloading to Minor before long.

It doesn't work very well with IPSC scoring, so you're kinda stuck there.

No rule book handy.

Can USPSA stages be all steel? I was thinking there was a rule that required some paper targets as well.

Probably confusing things with IDPA...

I think you are thinking of rule 4.3.1.4 which says "Various sizes of metal plates may be used (See Appendex C3), however metal plates must not be used exclusivly in a course of fire. At least one authorized paper target or IPSC Popper must be included in each course of fire. Based on that rule you could have an all steel stage if it included a popper.

A local club holds its first match each year as an all steel match that is not sanctioned and does not include a classifier. From the club website:

Steel match w/ 5 pistol stages

Five To Go

Outer Limits

Zig Zag

Showdown

On The Rack

Our club tosses in a SC stage from time to time. The club members like the change, and it works transition skills like Shred Mentioned. We score it like USPSA using Procedural if stop is engaged in wrong order. Usually run 4 strings and let shooter cross off worse run. and score best 3 strings.