Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Machine Spacing

Just got my loading shop redone and before mounting my machines.... How far apart do you space your machines. I would think that there is a minimum distance to maintain between them and still have good access to you components and room to move without bumping yourself while loading. My bench surface is 8' long and then turns 6' back to form an L shaped area. I am trying to fit in 3ea. RL1050s - 2 550s and 2 SDB.

Ideas?? :)

I can give you an answer for the SDB.

I use 550 Akrobins + I have a SDB Akrobin setup to the left of each of my SDBs for bullets. With that said, I have 14" between my SDBs, which is as close as I can get.

Never tried to mount 3 1050's in a row...but I mounted my 1000 and my Star with the centers 3' apart and it was fine..I like a little room between mine and then had my 550 3 feet the other side of that and finally my Rockchucker on the end of the long side of the bench...so had Star,RL1000, RL550 and Rockchucker all on 3 foot centers and it worked out great...lots of room...Had my Mec loaders on the other wall...a Grabber in 12 ga and a Sizemaster in 28 and another in 410....left room at the end of that bench for my Bench stuff.

There've gotta be measurements somewhere on the footprint of each machine. See how wide each is and go from there. Don't forget that you'll want some bench space to work on. I'd guess that you'd want more than the 12-ish feet of usable space you currently have to mount 7 machines.

Damn, Merlin...Are these all for different cartridges, or are some for minor/major/different bullet profiles?

I have nothing to add, just wondering. That's a serious amount of Blue.

Well, now that I think about it, maybe you arrange one space so that you can rotate in 550's or SDB's, whichever you're using, while the others are in storage?

Well, now that I think about it, maybe you arrange one space so that you can rotate in 550's or SDB's, whichever you're using, while the others are in storage?

That's what we did. I picked up some scrap .250 inch aluminum plates and mounted them to the bench, then drilled and tapped them to mount either a 550 or a MEC shotgun press or a Lee Pro1000 (I use the Pro1000 to decap and size 38 specials so I can clean the primer pockets for my PPC gun.)

It works great! So far I've mounted the MEC exactly once and the Lee twice. :P

Nolan

Edited by Nolan

The 1050s are for 38SC, .45 and .40S&W. The others are machines I had prior to the 1050s.

I am really thinking of selling off a 550 and a SDB and keeping a SDB for 9mm and a 550 for whatever else I come up with. It would be easier - and I would have more room with just the 5 machines. :)

• 2 months later...