Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First Match Ever - Dq

Nebraskan

Well, after much paractice, dry and 1,000 live over the last month, went to my first match. On the first stage, I was watching everyone run the stage. Fairly simple stage of 4 targets each bay, three bays.

Everyone started to the left and worked to the right. Great idea if you are right handed. As a lefty, started out, engaged the first four, moving reload to the right and, you guessed it, broke the 180 on the reload.

My first match ever lasted a total of 8 rounds :( Spent the rest of the day taping, picking brass and trying to learn.

Lesson learned: As a left handed shooter, it may be better to work the opposite way of the rest of the shooters to keep the muzzle down range on reloads.

Lesson learned: In my attempt to try to get up to speed, most of my practice was standing reloads, trying to get some muscle memory going and shooting/front sight. Can't learn everything in a month. That dictated not trying a moving reload just because everyone else was doing it. It just seemed natural though.

Got another match tomorrow. I feel confident I will do better :lol: Can't do much worse!

Well now you have that out of the way and welcome to the forums.

It sounds like you had the correct idea about running the stage, just need to always be mindful of the 180. My first DQ happened at the end of the last stage; I broke the 180 during the unload and show clear after unloading while I was showing the RO the gun was clear.

Welcome!

Been there done that, I broke the 180 on the second stage of my second match. Spent a while after that looking for 180 traps on every stage I shot. No big deal though, you just head out and give it another go which works out to be the next day or so for you. :D I had think about it for two weeks before I could shoot my next match. <_<

Good luck!

I have found that 99% when the COF is laid out it is laid out by a right handed shooter and often times there is no regard for how the stage sets up for a lefty. I have shoot stages where as a lefty it is very easy to break the 180 but not so for a righty.

It doesn't appear to have discouraged you and that's great. Don't worry about a DQ, it's happens to everybody sooner or later.

On a stage like you described (moving right to left) it's best to dump the mag while moving, pick up a new mag sometime before getting to the box, then do the reload while your stepping in the box. Nothing says you have to reload while moving, you just have to be ready when you get there. Hope this helps ;)

Been DQ'ed once at a local match and should have been DQ'ed twice at major matches, but wasn't caught (180 violations). Glad to hear your spirits are still up. Keep at it..........

Went to a major match with friends after a 12 hour drive. One of the guys with us....on the first stage, first shot of the day & match....bang!! right into the table. We then asked him if he would carry our bags for us for the rest of the match. He declined.....in a rude manner.

Thanks for all of the support guys. Yes, I'm still up for it. Another match tomorrow night.

I guess after oddjob's post, I won't bother with a "What is the least number of shots fired before a DQ" thread. Unless someone had a 180 violation at LAMR ( I suppose you can get DQ'ed without firing a shot.) Otherwise, 1 shot seems pretty tough to beat.

It was the first shot of the match.........The DQ-"E" had a good sense of humor about it.

One of our regular shooters DQ'ed at a major match at the load & make ready command. I believe this is the fasted DQ I've heard of, but I don't know if it was his first stage or not.

He caught some heat from the guys over that one!!!

I think it would be nice if they built more stages with Box A and Box B. A for the right handed shooters and B for the lefties.

I think that's a great idea, but I'm having trouble visualizing it. Would you like to draw some up for us?

We have some left-handed shooters and I don't mind putting up stages that have the shoe on the other foot for a change.

I was R.O.ing a guy once on a stage where you started standing in front of a window, hands relaxed, loaded & holstered. Upon the start signal he drew his gun and the muzzle hit the wall just below the window on the up-stroke of his draw causing him to break his grip and allowing the gun to spin on his trigger finger. Since I was standing at his right rear where I could watch his gun this put me in the position where his muzzle wound up pointing directly at my "Baby Maker". Needless to say he was D.Q.ed first stage of the day before (thank God) any shots were fired and I was finished R.O.ing for the day as well. That's the stuff that gives you bad dreams.

I was R.O.ing a guy once on a stage where you started standing in front of a window, hands relaxed, loaded & holstered. Upon the start signal he drew his gun and the muzzle hit the wall just below the window on the up-stroke of his draw causing him to break his grip and allowing the gun to spin on his trigger finger. Since I was standing at his right rear where I could watch his gun this put me in the position where his muzzle wound up pointing directly at my "Baby Maker". Needless to say he was D.Q.ed first stage of the day before (thank God) any shots were fired and I was finished R.O.ing for the day as well. That's the stuff that gives you bad dreams.

:o:o:o

I had a DQ at the Western Pennsylvania Championship last year on my first stage before I ever fired a shot. You had to start in a small "voting booth." At the start signal you had to hit a peg in the strong side wall which dropped a weight which opened the curtain then your off and running.

I smack the peg, nothing. I smack it again and hear badump bump. I reach for my gun and find nothing but an empty holster. I was not in the habit of locking my Limcat when doing anything but stand and draw. I am now in that habit.

A board member had been blackmailing me with this story to ensure my silence. He did not want me to share a story from that very morning of the match.

Up till now it has worked, but with everyone coming out with their DQ stories it seemed a good time for me to "come out."

Now the truth can be told!

I was sharing a room with our own Jake Di Vita. We ordered pizza and chicken delivered to the room the night before the match. We told jokes, dry fired, cleaned guns, etc.

I get up on match morning to go pee and Jake head still on his pillow says "I wouldn't do that if I was you."

"Don't worry a little stink won't kill me"

"Yes it will. It's worse than that. I stopped it up."

By this time I was outside the closed bathroom door and he was right. The funk was among us. I would not have gone in that bathroom in a Hazmat suit if you said a thousand dollar bill was on the floor.

I told him at that time that his ass was a portal to another dimension and the aliens were sending thru their toxic waste. I still had to pee.

We are in a small motel that did not have a restroom in the lobby. So I get dressed go out to the parking lot and pee behind a dumpster. When I come from behind the dumpster I see about ten people standing on the balcony/walkway applauding my performance/equipment. I go back to the room and curse Jake out again.

Jake has since made his IPSC alias "ThePortal" to commemorate the occasion.

I had a DQ at the Western Pennsylvania Championship last year on my first stage before I ever fired a shot. You had to start in a small "voting booth." At the start signal you had to hit a peg in the strong side wall which dropped a weight which opened the curtain then your off and running.

I smack the peg, nothing. I smack it again and hear badump bump. I reach for my gun and find nothing but an empty holster. I was not in the habit of locking my Limcat when doing anything but stand and draw. I am now in that habit.

A board member had been blackmailing me with this story to ensure my silence. He did not want me to share a story from that very morning of the match.

Up till now it has worked, but with everyone coming out with their DQ stories it seemed a good time for me to "come out."

Now the truth can be told!

I was sharing a room with our own Jake Di Vita. We ordered pizza and chicken delivered to the room the night before the match. We told jokes, dry fired, cleaned guns, etc.

I get up on match morning to go pee and Jake head still on his pillow says "I wouldn't do that if I was you."

"Don't worry a little stink won't kill me"

"Yes it will. It's worse than that. I stopped it up."

By this time I was outside the closed bathroom door and he was right. The funk was among us. I would not have gone in that bathroom in a Hazmat suit if you said a thousand dollar bill was on the floor.

I told him at that time that his ass was a portal to another dimension and the aliens were sending thru their toxic waste. I still had to pee.

We are in a small motel that did not have a restroom in the lobby. So I get dressed go out to the parking lot and pee behind a dumpster. When I come from behind the dumpster I see about ten people standing on the balcony/walkway applauding my performance/equipment. I go back to the room and curse Jake out again.

Jake has since made his IPSC alias "ThePortal" to commemorate the occasion.

:):D:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Went to the Tuesday night indoor match last night. Nervous as all get out. Conecntrated on seeing the shights, forget the speed. Four bays, two paper each bay. Moved right to left which really helped :D Ended up with two "C"s and 2 "D"s first run, 27 sec. I was shaking badly. Hit the reload well.

Second run, calmed down, all "A"s except two "C"s and shaved 2.5 sec off of the time. Glad I shot there first before another larger outdoor match. I'm on the road to recovery!

Looking forward to getting the new STI blaster out today!