Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ar15 Trigger

dcwn.45

What do people run in their 3-gun AR's for triggers? There are some touted as drop in,some require fitting,and some ways to tune and polish the stock trigger.I am a newbie to AR's and want some advice.I would rather have a slightly heavy pull and absolute reliability.

Ditto to Benny, I tried the drop in one from JP, just because, but I think the JP I fitted were better over all. I had to send the drop in trigger group back to JP because I had a Class 3 gun for awhile, but they fixed right up.

If you are only going to fit one, the learning curve can be pretty steep.

What do people run in their 3-gun AR's for triggers? There are some touted as drop in,some require fitting,and some ways to tune and polish the stock trigger.I am a newbie to AR's and want some advice.I would rather have a slightly heavy pull and absolute reliability.

I don't think it is possible to have a "slightly" heavy pull and absolute reliability. I think you will get that 1 in 1000 or 1 in 3000 or 1 in whatever double or triple with any of the match triggers. They will run great in X amount of rounds but every now and then the gun will burp on you.

And unless you run the stock springs you won't get 100% ignition reliability at all times with the harder to ignite primers (CCI, Rem BR, etc).

If you want to get as close to "absolute reliability" use the mil-spec/stock triggers. Unfortunately the increased poundage IMHO isn't anywhere near "slightly heav[vier]".

Otherwise use the match triggers and accept that you will once in a great while have a "failure."

I have a JP and a Jewell. In your case I would recommend that you get an experienced smith to install a JP or get one of the drop-in kits from JP or McCormick and punch out the pins yourself.

I sent my match AR lowers to JP to install his trigger group/hammers back when it was JP Enterprises..(Around '94 or so)

On his advice kept the engagement surfaces well lubed. (Every time I shot the rifles)

I have had NO malfunctions with the triggers ever...after umpteen thousand rounds. Still set at a crisp 3.00 lb break.

Highly recommend JP for AR trigger work.

Just my dos pesos... :D

Have JP or Bennie or anyone who REALLY knows how put in a full JP gunsmith kit. Get the JP hammer and you won't have any reliability issues and yet will still have a nice trigger all of the time. You absolutely will not regret the decision to have a full install done the right way with a full-on JP kit.

I have a JP installed trigger group and another one I did following the instruction DVD. The one I did is worlds beyond any stock trigger. The one JP did (and Bennie re-did) is worlds beyond that!

nuff said ;-)

BTW, the drop-in's are OK (McCormick and JP) but not quite the trigger you get from a full kit. The drop-in's just don't compare IMHO.

Skip the tuning and go with a drop in from whomever for whatever you are willing to pay. I stripped out the factory trigger and dropped in the McCormick trigger and have not looked back. While I don't have the thousands of rounds downrange as previous posters, I have been quite pleased with my investment.

FWIW,

I went with the JP trigger and hammer, but since it is a duty rifle (municipal law enforcement) I had to stay with the stock springs. Pull is now 4.5lbs and is crisp as can be. Much improved over the stock trigger with no hiccups yet. Yeah, I know thats no match trigger, but it is loads better than stock.

FWI-the JP trigger and hammer with springs is by far the best system that you can put in and tune to your rifle, including creep and overtravel. Nothing else will do like this system does. Yes, you have to file/smooth/tweek the disconnector, but after you get a silky smooth trigger pull when you do your final adjustment.

My vote for any of the triggers mentioned, JP full kit, JP Drop In, McCormick Drop In. I run the McCormick. I like the feel of the trigger. JP full kit and McCormick are from personal experience. The JP Drop In is, well, it's JP. 'Nuff said.

Liota

+1 on JP. Easy to install if you're: mechanically inclined, handy with a stone (if needed) and can read and follow instructions. The price is competetive and JP is a big supporter of the 3-gun games I like to play.

If you have to have the match-tuned trigger, JP is your man. However, I've easily dropped the 300 meter targets at the NG base with a box-stock M4. I think we sometimes make too much of super-fine triggers. On a handgun racegun they can be an advantage. On rifles I wonder if they matter as much.

What say the real riflemeisters among us?

Yes, a crappy trigger can provide good hits in good hands.

But, a good trigger allows you to decide to send the round NOW! A standard trigger let's you do it ASAP, or pretty darn soon. There is a big difference there and it does matter wherever tenths tell the tale ;-)

Shooting "on approach" is almost impossible with an unpredictable trigger letoff point. Shooting "on approach" is the fastest way to hit steel at distance and the best way to do it with the first round.

One thing shooting the FAL trigger has taught me is to follow through! But I have to agree with George, good triggers make it easier to get quick hits, especially on the farther shots. Inside 100, I'm not so sure.

+1 on JP. I have yet to have a double with mine.

Don't forget Accuracy Speaks, maker of a fine AR trigger and another generous match sponsor.

One thing shooting the FAL trigger has taught me is to follow through! But I have to agree with George, good triggers make it easier to get quick hits, especially on the farther shots. Inside 100, I'm not so sure.

+1 on JP. I have yet to have a double with mine.

+1 on that

I have 3 JP triggers (kits, not the drop in) on 3 different AR's. 1 full race open, 1 carbine and one NM (just for fun shooting). I installed all 3 myself by carefully following the instructions and I performed the SAFETY CHECKS numerous times. I did use a very fine ceramic stone to POLISH the mating surfaces of the hammer and trigger and now have a measured 2 pound pull on all 3 rifles. The pull has stayed at 2 pounds since I installed them. I do use the trigger grease that JP sells, on the mating surfaces of the hammer and trigger. I have not had one trigger malfunction with any of these guns. You need to FULLY understand the operation of the trigger, hammer and disconnector relationship when working on triggers. If you follow his very well written and illustrated instructions, AND take your time, you should be able to end up with an outstanding trigger group.

Good luck on your selection,

Old Blind Squirrel