Bones

Here some data to analyze:

2005 S&W WinterChampionships-

32 SSR Competitors

2006 S&W WinterChampionships-

34 SSR Competitors

12 ESR Competitors

You make the call.

Looks to me like the mass exodus was trampled underfoot by invaders.

Vive le REVOlution-

Craig

Edited by Bones

Here some data to analyze:

2005 S&W WinterChampionships-

32 SSR Competitors

2006 S&W WinterChampionships-

34 SSR Competitors

12 ESR Competitors

You make the call.

Looks to me like the mass exodus was trampled underfoot by invaders.

Vive le REVOlution-

Craig

AND, weren't most of those SSR shooters regular members of the S&W IDPA League?

It was a fantastic match though, you folks should be proud of the finished product. Wish I has brought my brain.

Regards,

RGS & Carmoney -

I'll take care of my clubs - you take care of yours. People have a much stronger effect than rules.

A little less than a quarter were regulars - most were shooters we met at other matches (Natl'ls, NC, NY, PA, etc.) that we convinvced to come to Springfield. We had more non-S&W league shooters this year than the total SSR population from last year.

Glad you liked it RGS - the mix of stages turned out to be pretty tough. That was not intentional. I went home Wednesday night convinced that I had tanked it.

Keep shooting-

Craig

14 more shooters, about a 44% increase over the previous years wheelgunners...my congratulations to the S&W winter Championships.

It might be interesting, if there was a poll or equipment questionaire done at the match, to see how many SSR shooters had previously been shooting in IDPA, AND using a revolver of the SSR type, prior to the 2005 rule changes.

S&W is roundgun heaven after all.

However, S&W is probably the best first barometer of the state of revolver shooting we have yet, as both the 05 and 06 match were shot under the current controversies, if not the current rules. This years nationals will likely be worth comparing.

We have a lot more guys dusting off their k frames for the odd match, so we have quite a bit growth around our way. We do have a few guys who are still mad about the power factor though and we probably won't see them again.

Gonna take a while longer than this to see what the trend is though.

Either way, I still think the 2 divisions was worth it.

Ted (shooting ESR right now)

Edited by Ted Murphy

Well, you guys know how I feel about it, but in the long run it would be great to see revolver shooting thrive and grow in both IPSC/USPSA and IDPA (not to mention ICORE, and Steel Challenge, etc, etc.)

A strong, active contingent of cross-over wheelgunners would be a good thing all the way around.

Mike

Ted (shooting ESR right now)

You might be shooting ESR right now, but I will always think of SSR as "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure."

;)

Okay I'll show my ignorance what is a ssr and a esr. I thought I know a little but not that little. Thanks Mac

Mac - SSR (Stock Service Revoler) is a division within IDPA. Originally, it was the only revolver division there. Last year, ESR (Enhanced Service Revolver) was introduced.

The original SSR was for all revolvers from .38 Special on up, both speedloader and moonclip fed (moonclips were allowed if the factory produced them that way). Barrel lengths were first max 5", then later changed to 4". PF was 125 minimum for all calibers. With the introduction of ESR, the SSR max weight became 42 oz., and moonclips are verboten.

ESR was introduced to separate the moonclip guns (ESR) from the speedloader (SSR) guns. PF is 165, max weight is 50 oz, max barrel length is 4". Moonclips and speedloaders are permitted.

The increase was driven by NEW shooters in SSR.

We've not seen more than a handful of shooters in ESR at club matches all year - less than 6 if memory serves me.

Craig

S&W Model 10 - the ORIGINAL M&P

I stopped enjoying shooting Revolver last year after experiencing the anomosity and bigotry at the S&W WC from their local "SSR" shooters. Too bad the small community of revolver shooters couldn't be more tolerant of each others prefered equipment. I assume they are happy now.

I did shoot my ESR gun for the rest of the summer but a steady diet of 175pf .45 shot it loose and it started skipping cylinders. I liked the gun too much to continue to beat it to death so now I am shooting a bottom feeder. The match this year was much more enjoyable without the locals giving me a hard time about what I was shooting.

We went from 5 revolver shooters in our local clubs (IDPA) to just one per match after the rule changes.

things were just starting to get going with revolver, and bammo, two divisions.

Not worth it in my opinion.

We went from 5 revolver shooters in our local clubs (IDPA) to just one per match after the rule changes.

And I think this happened a lot of places.

The group at S&W did some recruiting for SSR this year and it showed. A lot of their usual crew that shoots semi autos shot SSR. Good for them and welcome to the round guns. Does it skew the actual statistics? You be the judge.

Someone posted that this was an indicator. I do not agree with that. It was one match (and a good one) but it does not show any national resurgence in SSR for IDPA. I hope I am wrong, but I still have my doubts that SSR will be a large enough group in IDPA in major matches in the future.

Now, that being said, I plan to do a little SSR and a little ESP (very little of both) this year in IDPA just to take advantage of the lower power factors and save my heavy stuff for USPSA and the 6.5" barrel.

Regards,

I have not shot a IDPA match with a revolver since the change.........

Seems like I have only shot 3 IDPA matches period since the change.....and not one with the same gun.

(Not that my opinion means anything)

HOP

I'm Gonna shoot my 625 4" This sunday.....I had to buy a 4"...I already had a nice 646 set up...not gonna shoot at major PF..... and a 25-2 and 625...but the barrels are too long.

I have a nice load with 3.9 gr. Clays and a 230 moly bullet.

I'll see how many i can get to shoot( wheel gunners, that is)

BTW. We'll be having an IDPA Regional match here in Las Cruces, New Mexico come this August. FYI

Edited by Bear23

And I think this happened a lot of places.

The group at S&W did some recruiting for SSR this year and it showed. A lot of their usual crew that shoots semi autos shot SSR. Good for them and welcome to the round guns. Does it skew the actual statistics? You be the judge.

Someone posted that this was an indicator. I do not agree with that. It was one match (and a good one) but it does not show any national resurgence in SSR for IDPA. I hope I am wrong, but I still have my doubts that SSR will be a large enough group in IDPA in major matches in the future.

Now, that being said, I plan to do a little SSR and a little ESP (very little of both) this year in IDPA just to take advantage of the lower power factors and save my heavy stuff for USPSA and the 6.5" barrel.

Regards,

It was never a big division around here. So actually, it stayed about the same after the rules change.

That being said, I shot four IDPA matches last year. All with the same 4" 625 I used for USPSA last year. Two of the matches I won overall, one being a classifier match, and the third I took second place overall. Still waiting on the results for the fourth match.