Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock Overtravel Adjustment

TBF

I adjusted my trigger housing set screw for minimal overtravel.

I have had a couple of really light strikes, most of the time every thing looks normal, but twice there is virtually NO indication of a strike on the primer. The striker was released, but maybe it was stopped by the 80 series looking plunger doohickey ?

Is this a symptom of incomplete release of the plunger because I don't have quite enough overtravel ?

Why does it only happen 2 out of approx. 200 times ?

Could it be something else ?

Travis F.

I know this may sound like a silly question ... but did you clean the striker channel? I've known of "gunk" to get into the channel around the striker and cause it not to function properly.

Detail strip the slide and give it a good cleaning, if you get oil or greese in there it can collect "crap" and give you light strikes.

I installed one of those overtravel set-ups that was built into the ejector housing. Setting it to mimimum overtravel caused about 50% misfires.

You will probably have to fiddle with it to run 100% --- keep the tunnel pristine, tune the trigger bar's contact points with the striker and the plunger a little more, use only Federal Small pistol primers, etc. Or just go to a full power striker spring if you want the overtravel feature enough.

Personally I said screw it and just took it out.

I tried the Lone Wolf unit. I probably didn't know what I was doing with the thing, but never got it to feel any different for me and finally removed it from my gun.

Charlie Vanek sells one that can adjust the pretravel and the over travel.

Rick

I finally got to shoot my G35 yesterday with all the mods, including the Lone Wolf overtravel trigger housing.

Had 1 light strike out of 200 rounds (Win primers - all seated well). Figured it was the reduced power striker spring, so I replaced it with the stock spring when I got home.

I'd really like to get that lightened spring back in the gun for the quality of trigger feel, and now I have hope the Lone Wolf trigger housing, or more specifically my adjustments to it, could have caused the light primer hit.

Thanks to this thread/posters, I have a little hope and will give it a try. Like Clay1, I don't know if I felt a difference with the Lone Wolf unit or not, so I won't miss it.

Thanks for the info!

I also didn't really notice much difference until I adjusted the overtravel screw far enough to not release the striker at all, and then backed it off a little. At the current setting the trigger feels much different than before. I like it this way better, MUCH less squishy feeling.

I have the pretravel screw set very conservatively, as in just barely doing anything.

I have the RS trigger kit, and am using the striker spring that came with it. IIRC someone said in another thread that this spring looks similar to the Wolf reduced power spring.

Stock striker , Federal primers.

The weird thing is that the " light strikes " are virtually " non strikes " .

Not at all like the typical light strike where the primer is hit, but not hard enough.

The one round I managed to save that I absolutely know came out of the chamber after a problem has a primer that looks like it was not hit at all.

Travis F.

Well, all this talk inspired me to install the Lonewolf overtravel adjuster on my g17. I adjusted the screw up to the point where it just barely starts to raise the trigger bar up and out of the lower channel if that makes any sense. I ran about 150rnds through it this afternoon of mixed wwb, blazer (brass and al), and american eagle with no ftf and nice deep primer strikes even with my reduced striker spring. It feels like a reduction of about 50% and so far, not as short as my g19 with a ghost installed but short enough to be happy to leave it as is until my frs trigger kit arrives.

I tried the Lone Wolf unit. I probably didn't know what I was doing with the thing, but never got it to feel any different for me and finally removed it from my gun.

Charlie Vanek sells one that can adjust the pretravel and the over travel.

Rick

+1

I would have returned it, but I needed an extra trigger housing, anyway.

I don't feel any reduction in overtravel until I really screw it down, then it starts interfering with stuff, and there's a crunchy "not good" sensation in the trigger pull.

I've read on GT where people have adjusted out so much overtravel that the firing pin safety doesn't have the travel to fully get out of the way of the striker. A little more overtravel solved everything.

It sounds like you are saying that it is possible to release the striker before the trigger bar has moved far enough to fully lift the firing pin blocking plunger?

That sucks. It seems like the plunger shoud be "UP" before the trigger bar can release the striker.

Even with the overtravel "relaxed", it would follow it might be possible to get some drag on the firing pin from that plunger with a very slow trigger pull where the striker is released gently?

Not good.

If the plunger has been modified or rounded to lighten the take up as is common these days a delayed plunger action can occure.with the over travel set to far forward the triger bar may not push the plunger saftey down causing a striker block.

The other thing may be triger rebound in fast shooting that actualy lets the trigger go forward ahead of the striker blocking the striker.

happens on 1911 guns as a bounced full auto with light grips.

I have seen guys that can make a gun go full at will with this kind of grip.

lots to think about.

Rounded plunger.

Yep, and very nicely done too, a work of art...

Maybe I will put the project to move the plunger pressing nub ( I'm suer it has a name , but I can't think of what it is right now. ) further to the rear to offset the nicely rounded plunger, on my very long " to do " list....

Or maybe I'll just live with a little more overtravel...

I really like the way this trigger feels right now.

Travis F.

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought a used ghost rocket that was fitted on a G17. Now I am going to put it in a G34. I am hopping that is will not release the firing pin so I can fit it to my trigger perfectly. But for $6.00 you can't go wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

I played with my Lone Wolf unit the last couple of weeks and confirmed that it will cause light strikes. Backed it off a hair and the gun will set off WSP primers without a problem.

This is the only gun I've ever had where the trigger pull changes just by loading the gun.

I just bought a used ghost rocket that was fitted on a G17. Now I am going to put it in a G34. I am hopping that is will not release the firing pin so I can fit it to my trigger perfectly. But for $6.00 you can't go wrong.

I use the Ghost Rocket 5# connector with the built-in overtravel stop. My reset is as short as a well tuned 1911 reset. In fact, the recoil of the gun resets the trigger without any conscious forward movement of the trigger by me.

I've never had any light strikes, but I also use a stock striker spring.

I'm not sure about the gun being heavier changing the trigger pull, of course I am new to Glocks.

What I thought, based on threads I've read here, is the pressure from the rounds in the mag tightens up the slide to frame fit, resulting in a different trigger pull. Something I came up with while reading the thread on Glock slide/frame tightening.