Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Transition From 'hoser' Targets

al503

I practice a little drill where I have anywhere from 2-4 targets about 2-3 yards away from me. I then place another target to the right or left (have to pivot about 30 degrees) of the hoser targets but this one is about 7-10 yards away. I draw, index and fire away without really calling any of the shots on the hoser targets, which I believe is the proper technique. However, I shoot the longer range target in the same manner (looking at the target and not the sights.)

It's the same whether I'm shooting open or limited and my hits are within a couple of inches of where I'm looking.

My question is, should I keep practicing like this or am I ingraining a bad habit? I guess I could purposely slow down the transition and make myself call the shot.

Hope I've made sense.

Not calling ALL the shots is just asking for trouble IMO. It looks like you have a myth in your belief structure. You do not have to "slow down" to call your shots, you just have to change your focus. I wish all my competitors had the mind set you described, it's the ones that call EVERY shot you need to worry about, they have skillz.

Edited by Loves2Shoot

Not calling ALL the shots is just asking for trouble IMO.

+3 the ability to "call shots" encompasses ALL shots fired regadless of distance and split times. Granted using some part of the gun other than the sights to index is OK for some shots, with but KNOWING is better than not knowing.

I remember from a vid or book (has to be one of burkett's or the burner's) that you don't have to get a perfect sight picture for hoser targets. I think I remember seeing a series of photos or frames where they show the different sight pictures according to how far the targets were. Perhaps I misunderstood.

So I take it, make myself call every shot, including the hoser targets even though it'll mean slowing down (at first, while I re-train myself to do it properly)?

I wish all my competitors had the mind set you described, it's the ones that call EVERY shot you need to worry about, they have skillz.

Gee. Thanks. <_<

Edited by al503

to me, the ket is transitioning from the hoser to the long range target as fast as possible, using that extra few tenths to acquire the proper sight picture, especially being cognizant of the location of the A zone being i bit higher...and of course-seeing the sights lift...

If somebody's hitting A's on the close targets, then they shouldn't need to slow down to call the shots-- it's not necessary to know exactly where in the A-zone they are, just that they are there. That's what that book's pictures of the sight pictures is for-- if you see X, at Y distance, then the shots are acceptable. X and Y are what individuals need to determine for themselves.. and which vary as skills improve.

A good drill I've been playing with lately for acquiring targets at various distances is Triple-Six, but after doing the single-target strings, switch to shooting two on each target for 3 strings. Score the same way. Try both front-to-back and back-to-front.

You should be able to call shots without seeing your sights exactly perfect on close targets..

By having an acceptable sight picture you should be able to call those shots without any loss of speed..

through drills you should know what you need to see..be it the front sight floating on top of the slide for "A" zone shots at 2-3 yards then switching to seeing the top of the front sight aligned with the rear exactly centered for a partial at 20 yards..

You see what you need to see to make the shot.

but you should still be able to call all you shots be it close, mid or long range.