Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Making the G35 suitable for Limited 10

Ross Chevalier

Hey gang,

I just returned from the Quebec provincials (great match btw) and the buddy i drove up with is a very solid shooter who has gotten to A with a Glock 35.  He has tried my new SVI (I smell a convert shortly) and noted a few things about his Glock he would like to change.  So I thought I'd ask the experts for opinions.

1)  He doesn't use a magwell at all, and plans his stage execution to allow for max time for mag changes.  Can anyone recommend a mag well for the G35 that is proven for Limited 10?  

2)  We were shooting in fairly sandy conditions and he had a couple of jams because the Glock mags are so very difficult to disassemble.  Any thoughts on this, including different base pads, shaving the locking ridges, etc.

3)  He has to use that mag loader to get the last round into the mag.  I remember this from the days of my STI mags, and he was somewhat envious of the ease of loading of my new SVI mags.  When he loads a full magazine, he really has to whack it into place.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  Someone mentioned clipping back on the spring, but this individual is known for being a bit "creative" when unencumbered by facts.  Do any of you use extended base pads such as the ones from Lightning Strike that are just longer but add no extra rounds?  We cannot add rounds in Canada so pads like the Dawson unit just add trouble.

Any guidance would be appreciated.  Thanks a bunch.

Ross

I really like the Tac-Rac Magwell on my G34.  I don't know that I can find the package it came in (we moved) but I got it from Classic Pistol in PA.  They're on the web at http://www.classicpistol.com.  As far as loading tenrounders to max capacity, yeah it's a chore.  I find that the HK manufactured speedloader helps a lot ---- they're available in the states for about $10.  If your buddies mags work reliably, I wouldn't worry about different basepads or springs ---- that might be more trouble than it's worth.  I used to have a lot of trouble getting Glock mags apart until I started using a Glock Armorer's Tool.  If you push the Armorer's Tool all the way into the hole in the base plate, it becomes much easier to slide the baseplate off because you move the inner plate further up the magbody and can then push in on the sides of the magbody a little easier to disengage the tabs from the baseplate.  If you can't get an Armorer's tool, a two inch pin of the right diameter should do the trick.  Hope that rambling response helps

Taylor freeelance makes a mag pad for 10 rounders.

http://www.seattleslug.2alpha.com/products/brassplates.htm

I don't have any trouble taking the mags apart.  Of course, I like taking stuff and making little pieces out of it.  Like Nik said, once you figure out your trick, they pose no problem.  I press the button in (you gotta get in into the mag body a bit) with whatever is handy.  While doing so I push the base pad down against the edge of a bench, and push in on the sides of the mag body near the notches at the base of the tube.

There is a thread on here (and another on glock Talk) that addresses the mag well issue.  I don't use one either, so I can't recomend one.

Oh, and congratulate your buddy for making A class.    

Thanks all for your help so far.  I have actually found a solution to the base pad question that I have tested on my own Glock mags, and except for the smoke, melted plastic and caustic fumes - it works great.

Pat, as I have said many times, your ability to decipher polite cryptography is outstanding.

Ross

• 9 years later...

Something that works well for making the tenth round go in a little easier with ten round mags is to take the mag apart and shave the tab that extends into the mag to make it a ten rounder. As long as you take just a little bit off the tab you don't have to worry about your mag holding more than ten

For the price, I think that GTUL is a rip off. It's just taking advantage of people who don't know the right way to take the mags apart. 5/32 punch is all you need. Force the follower out of the way by pushing all the way in and then press the sides of the mag tube while you use the punch to pry the plate off in the opposite direction it went on. Then just use one of those dawson brushes that only costs 12 bucks instead of 25.

:closedeyes:

Something that works well for making the tenth round go in a little easier with ten round mags is to take the mag apart and shave the tab that extends into the mag to make it a ten rounder. As long as you take just a little bit off the tab you don't have to worry about your mag holding more than ten

Wondering what tabs you are referring to? The ten rounders I have are "single stack" rather than double stack to limit the count. Are you talking about the spring end of the followers?