Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

625 Load

AFDavis11

Gentlemen, and Ladies,

I'd like your forgiveness first on two counts. I have searched the forum but not come up with the answer I am looking for and also I have not posted in a few years. I am looking to get back into revolver competition (I have been in Production and took most of last year off).

I have a 4 inch 625, tuned it, and molded down a rubber grip for use. After having fired a few test rounds I have discovered, either through age or too much time in Production Division, that I am very recoil sensitive.

I would like two recommendations if possible. One, on a simple factory round which I might use that has a little less recoil than my current 230 grain ball and two, on perhaps a reduction in the powder charge I might use for a reload. I use a 230 grain ball over 7 grains of SR 4756 if I recall correctly. I'm a hack at reloading though and would prefer factory (and tuned the trigger pull to accept any primer). I attempted to buy a lighter bullet and found it seemed to kick more but it was a defensive load not a regular bullet. MY first instinct was to try 5 grains of powder but I wanted to ask first for safety reasons and also I am concerned about making Major as I do not have a Chrono. I would be willing to shoot minor if needed.

Any general recommendations would be welcome but please keep in mind I am not a reloading expert at all and may not be familiar with the gargon used on this forum currently.

Thanx in advance for any suggestions and I apologize if this is a dumb question...

Well first off you might want to verfiy your load data, I just ran the reduced load calculator

for sr 4756 and it show's you want to be down to 5.3 grn's of powder to get a 167 pf.

7.5 is a max load listed, showing a 230 grn rn doing 960 fps for a 220 pf :huh:

Heck some us don't go that high for bowling pin loads !

Lots of folks swear by Clays and VV N320 for great recoil results (ie, low felt recoil) so in

short order you should have some expert advice from a number of sources.

A friend just ran some of my lead loads thru his 4 inch 625, out of 6 shots he hit 165 pf

for a number of shots, that was a 225 LTC over 4.3/.4 grns of Bullseye in new Starline

cases with a federal primer (natch :) ) Out of my 6.5 inch 25-2 it gave a 171 pf.

Good luck and stay tuned, do a search for "45" loads or "625 loads" and see what you get.

And welcome back to the round gun.

Hi AFDavis11,

For a nice soft major p.f. load, you might try 4.1 gr. of Clays and a 230-gr. RNL or plated RN, it will probably make major even from a 4". If the recoil still bugs you, some of the other guys here can give you a good minor .45 load that should feel about like shooting a .22!

Nice to have you shooting wheelies with us.

My softest Major load is 4.1 VV N310 with 230 gr LRN bullets. This is in 5" guns with very little margin.

My perception of lighter bullets going faster is that it is snappier and less comfortable to me.

I am using the 5.0 VV320 with a Montana Gold 230g complete metal jacket. This is out of a 5" 625 so you may need a little more to make major. I also use this load in my Para P14. Hope this helps...John DVC

I know that you are looking for 4" barrel data but I will post anyway: Maybe you can use this as a starting point.

I have a 625-3 5" barrel for IPSC

3.9gr Bullseye

230 RN lead (bearcreek)

Federal primer seated .004-.006 below flush

OAL 1.245"

Chrono avg. 725-735fps

PF 166

80°F

Man I am cutting it close.

Renny

Running in a 625 - 5" model:

Winchester 231 5.2 grains pushing a 230 RN from Zero with Federal pistol primers. Length is 1.250 with a power factor of 171. It has chrono'd as low as 166.1 and as high as 175 depending on conditions and what type of chrono(s) were used. I have found it to be very reliable and economical to shoot. The Winchester 231 burns a little dirtier than powders such as Vhitavouri (and has a slightly higher variance in PF +/- 4), but I have been successful with this load so far.

Jeff

I know that you are looking for 4" barrel data but I will post anyway: Maybe you can use this as a starting point.

I have a 625-3 5" barrel for IPSC

3.9gr Bullseye

230 RN lead (bearcreek)

Federal primer seated .004-.006 below flush

OAL 1.245"

Chrono avg. 725-735fps

PF 166

80°F

Man I am cutting it close.

Renny

Man! you got a good bullet or a fast barrel there !!

I just tested 4.3/.4 grns of Bullseye with a 225 LTC to get a 163 pf avg. for my 625 5"

I like Solo 1000. It's a single base powder and I find it has the least amount of recoil generation of any powder I've tested. I was using Vit 320 but switched to 3.8 grains of Solo 1000 with a 230 grain LRN. Power factor = 169 out of my 625 5 inch.

I don't know if I shoot to reload or reload to shoot. Both are interesting.

If I switch to JRN I use 4.0 grains and make 167 PF. Close but I't always made it for me.

I also use the Solo 1000 in my 38 so it's an efficient way to reload. I use 3.8 grains with a 158 grain LRN to make minor. About a 128 PF. 4 grains gives me 140 PF and is the most accurate load I've used. Angus told me to lighten the load after he test fired one of my guns.

My favorite 625 load is as follows:

various brass

Fed Large pistol primer

200 gr precision bullet (the black moly/polymer coating)

5 gr TiteGroup powder

1.18" OAL

about 845-850 fps

Chronos at 169-170 pf

TiteGroup shoots hot and soots up a stainless gun. But I like it. :D

FWIW

dj

10mmdave,

Yeah I am really close to the minimum PF. I rechecked my reloading notes and I have that particular load entered twice in my journal for 3.9grn of Bullseye with a 230RN bearcreek bullet. These are coated lead bullets. For those looking at that data, you should use that for a starting point.

I am also testing a 205gr LC coated lead from bearcreek with 3.9-4.0grn Bullseye but no chrono data yet.

For what it is worth: The frame and barrel on my 625-3 had been changed. I had a new frame installed by S&W because they said the extractor rod hole in the recoil plate was "oblong and unsafe." The barrel was fitted to the frame with .006" head space. The old frame had a head space of .012". The barrel was purchased from someone who had less than 50 shots through it.

DVC

Renny

Thanx guys,

Still working on the load. I'm perplexed by reloading the .45 ACP. About one round in 10 fails to seat correctly into the cylinder. It goes 9/10s of the way into the cylinder and starts binding up. I've tried a few changes to OAL but can't seem to fix the problem for all the rounds. 90% success on reloads is ok, but....I must be missing a step somewhere.

I do appreciate all the advice..thanx again.

I tried VV N310 4.1 grains with a 230 grain RN Zero Jacketed bullet, and it doesn't make power factor through a 4" 625. Also, it's very dirty.

I just tested a new load. Winchester Super Target, 4.6 grains, 230 grain speer plated RN, OAL 1.25", federal 150's. Power factor is 171,000.

I just loaded up some rounds with 4.5 grains, but I haven't tested it. The recoil from 4.6 grains of WST is a little harsh.

Running in a 625 - 5" model:

Winchester 231 5.2 grains pushing a 230 RN from Zero with Federal pistol primers. Length is 1.250 with a power factor of 171. It has chrono'd as low as 166.1 and as high as 175 depending on conditions and what type of chrono(s) were used. I have found it to be very reliable and economical to shoot. The Winchester 231 burns a little dirtier than powders such as Vhitavouri (and has a slightly higher variance in PF +/- 4), but I have been successful with this load so far.

Jeff

My 4" 625-3 with 5.4 gr of WW 231, 230gr LRN, Federal Primers and mixed brass was running PF180 at last year's A3 (Conditions were best described as a typical hot and humid July day in Kansas). However, this is a pretty dirty load. Have to clean the cylinder after 4 or so stages.

Thanx guys,

Still working on the load. I'm perplexed by reloading the .45 ACP. About one round in 10 fails to seat correctly into the cylinder. It goes 9/10s of the way into the cylinder and starts binding up. I've tried a few changes to OAL but can't seem to fix the problem for all the rounds. 90% success on reloads is ok, but....I must be missing a step somewhere.

Have you checked the moonclip and made sure it is straight? Lay them out on a glass table (or some smooth, flat surface) and check for any warpage. Discard any that do not lay flat.

Thanx guys,

I have that problem when an "AMERC" or "S&B" piece of brass finds it's way into my brass. Both of these have a tendency to compress around the web area when running through my 550b. Once I started culling these two types of brass, my reject rate went to near zero.

Just what worked for me.

dj

I'm perplexed by reloading the .45 ACP. About one round in 10 fails to seat correctly into the cylinder. It goes 9/10s of the way into the cylinder and starts binding up.

I'm assuming this is range brass, if your loading brass used in a Glock or a poor throated

1911 you could be getting a case bulge at the bottom of the case. Gets worse when you re-

size it.

Now if it's new brass then I'm stumped :huh: