Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cleaning Case Lube

PFISTO

Morning,

Just wondering as I just started using case lube which I spray in a plastic bag then add cases and shake. It really helps to smooth the process. My question is do I have to wipe them down before I shoot them. this is for a 45

Thanks Mike

Edited by PFISTO

Morning,

Just wondering as I just started using case lube which I spray in a plastic bag then add cases and shake. It really helps to smooth the process. My question is do I have to wipe them down before I shoot them. this is for a 45

Thanks Mike

I do it exactly the way you do, and I've found no reason to wipe them down before I shoot them. But I await other responses. I recall reading about this two years ago, when I was starting out reloading, some guys believed that the dried lube on the casings helped their guns feed more smoothly. Others seem to go to elaborate lengths to clean it off.

So I'll be reading over your shoulder as posts come in!

If you can tell it's there after loading, you are using more than you need.

Just to answer some of the comments. I am using ONE SHOT in the media to polish the cases and the Dillon case lube to make the bullets. Ihave since used these bullets to shoot and sis not have any apparent problems. I have not cleaned my gun yet so I can't comment if there seems to be any more junk to clean. And after making the rounds there doesn't seem to be any noticable residue on the cases. So thanks for all your help

Mike

To lube cases, I fill the casefeeder of my 650, spray a little of whichever gunoil I have on my hands and mix the brass up with the oil on my hand. I have found no big differences between different kinds of oil/lube. I leave it on the cases with no ill effects so far (20K rounds of .45 and 9mm)

Another option is to take an empty bullet box, fill it half full with cases, give a squirt of lube, then shake the box, then one more, shake the box, and then dump into the casefeeder. I used to squirt into the casefeeder, but got tired of cleaning it up all the time. ;)

PFISTO,

I have tumbled/not tumbled. I have lubed/not lubed. I have even loaded "uncleaned" brass, all without apparent ill effect. (other than wanting to holler "unclean, unclean" as I went to the starting line.

As you can see, there are as many opinions as there are replies. when it gets down to where the rubber meets the road, there probably is no right way.

If you like the slick shiny cases, tumble them again. The only drawback I have seen in any thread involving tumbling lubed rounds (or experienced for that matter) is to be careful tumbling hollow point bullets as the hollow point will pack with media in some cases causing a "digging out" step you probably want to avoid.

most of all, don't let it become a bother. :)

FWIW

dj

Edited by dajarrel

FWIW, I reload 9x25 and the effort required to initially convert once fired 10mm brass into 9x25 can be considerable. I once broke the crank on a 550 resizing my once fired brass, and while they replaced it for free, Dillon recommended that I lube the cases prior to resizing. I tried a few types and, as most, settled on Hornady One Shot. It reduced the efoort required to resize the brass to a fraction of what once required. I found that using a very small amount (properly distributed) works as well as using a bunch, more is not better.

I never attempt to take it off the lube and feel that it may even make the mags work better as it is pretty slick at Florida temperatures. A buddy of mine told me that he tumbled his loaded rounds to remove the lube and make the brass extra bright so I tried it once. Unfortunately, my media may have been a bit too old for that as it left a very slight "dust" on the shiny cases. The dust had the consistency of cork (really corn cob) and did not let the bullets slide in the magazines and the magazines worked horrible. I had lots of magazine jams until I removed all of the dust from the loaded rounds. Never tried that trick again.

Leo

My experience:

One Shot seems to stay slick on nickel cases, but may get sticky on regular brass, especially if too generously applied. I don't care for the feel of very slippery or sticky ammo, and take off most if not all the lube by a brief rub down with a rubbing alcohol spritzed towel.

Some say that the sticky or wet surface will attract dirt, and could lead to mag malfs. That didn't happen to me when I left the lube on, but with a mostly gravel covered range, maybe I just didn't have the opportunity.