Dillon Super Swage 600

Before I buy one I would like to hear from people who have used this

tool.

What kind of production numbers to expect out of it

pro's and con's and so forth .

I will be using it for .223 brass.

thanks, Craig :)

Edited by CraigS.

I bought one about ten years ago, but I found that I only used it rarely and that, though it was fast (I guess) the idea of sitting there and doing a few hundred cases was very unattractive. Most of the surplus dealers (i.e. Bartlett) only charge $10 per thousand to remove the crimps, so I sold it to a friend (who never used it either).

I shoot a lot of 30'06 and 223 and just buy it "processed" from the dealers.

Bob

I got one years ago didn't use it much. I got a deal on Black Hills 5.56 Match brass with crimped pockets, one cent a piece 10000 of the puppies! I did them all in a few weeks with it. As for how many a hour never kept track but it is the fastest and easiest way to go. You get a system and you are off and running. rick t

• 4 months later...

I've been getting a hold of a lot of once-fired Sellier & Bellot cases lately (9mm and .40) and they are a bear to prime. Don't know if it's a crimp or just primer sealer that they apply. I was wondering if the Super Swage would help with this.

I just got one to do a bunch of 9mm for a customer, he supplied me with the brass, more than half have a crimp. So for a 'small' fee I will fix this problem.

As an aside I was intending to use it to tidy up some primer pockets on a batch of 38Super that is a little stiff to prime.

So we will see.

I bought one about ten years ago, but I found that I only used it rarely and that, though it was fast (I guess) the idea of sitting there and doing a few hundred cases was very unattractive. Most of the surplus dealers (i.e. Bartlett) only charge $10 per thousand to remove the crimps, so I sold it to a friend (who never used it either).

I shoot a lot of 30'06 and 223 and just buy it "processed" from the dealers.

Bob

Straightshooter, approximately how many could you do per hour?

Find a friend who has a 1050!

If you're only swaging, they'll go through so quick, you'd never look at the hand one again.

If you're going to trim too... mount it on the same toolhead... but that's a whole different thread.

spook-I really don't recall how long it took to do a few hundred. I remember I got 500 7.62 GI cases on one occasion and did them in a couple of hours IIRC. No more than three hours, I'm sure.

Mostly I used it for the odd few military cases I'd pick up at a gunshop or gunshow. I started buying the processed brass pretty quickly. Really not worth buying one of these IMO.

Bob

I think you are right-the 1050 would be waaaay faster. I still like buying it already done for me. I would hate to admit to being lazy, but as I get older, I find that there are so many other things I would rather do than prep cases. I actually found a mid-western police sergeant who not only takes the crimp from the cases (on 223s), but uniforms the primer pockets and reams the flash holes-things very important to real accuracy.

Sadly, he retired on May 30th, IIRC, so I need to get on the stick and track him down before he disappears on me and I am stuck with doing it myself again.

Bob

Used mine for perhaps 1100 times... VERY time consuming, much better off spending a few dollars more for the 1050. I still use mine but I have to be in the mood to do a few hundred cases in a sitting. It is more portable and lighter than a 1050 which would make it ideal for those long car rides but for multipurpose use the 1050 excels.

I've had one for 17 years and haven't used it very much. I was getting military once fired .45 ACP and once I did the batch, I was done. I tried to remform some .45 ACP range pick up that had small PP with no luck. Doesn't work for that. Trash can works best.

It might be handy in future if you happen accross an urban battle field and you can not get processed brass. RCBS also has a swaging die for primer pockets. I put the universal depriming die and the rcbs primer pocket swager in a turret die. The deprimer gets used alot the pocket swager die hasn't been used yet. The Dillon 600 has been packed in cosmoline for future use.