Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ipsc With Airsoft

Two Mikes

This link shows an IPSC competition in Asia using with Airsoft. I think its Japan but am not sure.

Japan IPSC

All I can say is WOW!!!!! Good Job!

I watched this several times as found myself being jealous that we don't have this in the US. Airsoft IPSC would be great for Kids (big and small). I'd love to find out more about how they do it ... timers, targets, etc.

I watched this several times as found myself being jealous that we don't have this in the US. Airsoft IPSC would be great for Kids (big and small). I'd love to find out more about how they do it ... timers, targets, etc.

This was actually tried by a local sports shop, that sells Airsoft. They ran it weekly, for a couple of months but never got more than 6 people at a time for their matches. We had hoped exactly what you said, great for kids. They bought targets, a Timer that had a remote Display, props were made, even a small plate rack was developed. It was very well done.

What the guy found out is the kids wanted to shoot each other, as in paintball.

Carl

We're doing it here in Michigan, and getting nearly 20 people at the matches. Go to: livingstongunclub.org to see pictures in the gallery. We even have plates, plate racks, poppers, and use USPSA safety rules at the matches. We can time and score the shooters all in the warm confines of our clubhouse which houses 4 bays for the events. It has been growing by leaps and bounds the last couple of months. I have a feeling you may be seeing something in Front Sight in the very near future (hint, hint, wink, wink) regarding this "up and coming" training tool for use in the US. We talked to a lot of people in Asia, the UK and Austrailia to figure out how to do it...it really works!!!

Jeff

Edited by Barrettone

We're doing it here in Michigan, and getting nearly 20 people at the matches. Go to: livingstongunclub.org to see pictures in the gallery. We even have plates, plate racks, poppers, and use USPSA safety rules at the matches. We can time and score the shooters all in the warm confines of our clubhouse which houses 4 bays for the events. It has been growing by leaps and bounds the last couple of months. I have a feeling you may be seeing something in Front Sight in the very near future (hint, hint, wink, wink) regarding this "up and coming" training tool for use in the US. We talked to a lot of people in Asia, the UK and Austrailia to figure out how to do it...it really works!!!

Jeff

The only thing wrong with airsoft is that it makes me want to go outside and freeze my ass off. Even the worst running open gun in the world would be an improvement over those darn airsoft pistols. :wacko:

Jeff

The only thing wrong with airsoft is that it makes me want to go outside and freeze my ass off. Even the worst running open gun in the world would be an improvement over those darn airsoft pistols. :wacko:

You have to actually WORK on your equipment if you want it to perform. :P Yer just sore cause you lost to Tom. :D

Jeff

In the video it looked like they had some serious looking OPEN Airsoft guns ...... extended mags, and dots and all ! Never saw anybody with any reliablility issues.

It sure would be nice not needing ear protection ........ shooters and spectators!

Pretty crazy looking. :huh:

one of our shooters started bring out his 8 yr old son with a full production rig shooting a hk usp airsoft. the pellets go thru cardboard, the steel is scored by sound, and they tap the timer on his last shot.

btw I think thats hong kong, not japan.

Be VERY Careful what you wish for. USPSA played with Airsoft means you might not NEED a REAL gun.

You and I agree that this would be a great trainng tool for youth and newbies. But, look at it from "THE OTHER SIDE" This would/could be used against us in many unseen ways.

How long would Airsoft-IPSC Japan last IF they were ALLOWED to use a real gun?

Jim

Jim;

This is the same argument that has been used for decades against an "IPSC with .22s" competition.

I've been on the front lines for a long time, and I don't see any downsides to practical competition with Airsofts or .22s.

Aything that helps us grow the sport is a good thing.

Michael B

Michael,

I think that IF it is properly handled so that it is definately sold as a sub-set of USPSA and that it is aside from and not scored with the regular matches, but rather as an entirely separate entity, you are correct. But if we simply add .22 and airsoft as additional power factors to the already existant divisions, that we may find ourselves wishing htat we had not.

As an aside, we already run .22's at our practice matches where newcommers get to try USPSA without investing beyond what they already own. Once they try it, they either are hooked and come back and invest in what they need or they find it is not to their liking (very rare) and we only see them from time to time at other venues.

Jim

Mike, we may not worry, but there are those internationally who do. At the 1999 World Shoot, I had a rep from a European IPSC organization express great dislike for any idea of a 10-shot magazine limit, as we had done for our Production. "If my Minister for Sport hears we can shoot IPSC with ten-round magazines, he'll tell us to turn the rest in." was the comment.

So, airsoft should always be treated as a feeder for the real competition, and as an entry to real guns. I think me agreeing with Jim Norman is the second sign of the coming apocolype, isn't it?

I understand the feelings about the precedents but the AirSoft precedent has already been set, thus the video. We be pregnant .... with a capital P.

The more I think about this, the better I like the idea. I have a 6 year old daughter who hates loud noises. Airsoft would be great for her as a kind of Junior League ... Cub Scout ... Brownie. The best part is that I could do this AT her school as an after school program. I need to learn how to set this up

How long would Airsoft-IPSC Japan last IF they were ALLOWED to use a real gun?

I thought many Japanese are allowed to own and shoot shotguns. Has anyone tried to host a shotgun only match in Japan?

First, as a side note, the match in the video took place in Taipei, Taiwan Repbulic of China -- not Japan.

As regards shotguns in Japan; it is correct that Japan allows its subjects to possess shotguns (and even rifles) for hunting and target shooting. It's even fairly easy to get a license (after all I got one when I lived there) in most prefectures. However hunters aren't intrested in doing any gun sports and target shooters are pretty much limited to trap & skeet (Japan only has two public shotgun ranges -- both run by SKB) and Olympic style rifle & shotgun.

Plus the cost ($3,000 for a REM 1100) is high. One other hurdle is that the authorities wouold more than likely have a problem in granting a shotgun license for 'Practical' shooting.

DVC,

Sam Spiteri

One way Airsoft might be benefitial, if planned and handled right, is by getting USPSA in front of the crowds at venues like the Mt Dew Tour or the X-Games. It resolves many of the issues (facilities, spectator placement, etc) that our sport has for that type of media venue. Then that could be used a method to get a version sport in front of the younger crowd and hopefully feed into teh mainline sport itself.

Training, OK, Junior intro to the sport OK, BUT!

It must remain totally separated. We cannot allow Airsoft or .22's to be a part of the sport. If we do, there are many places in the world and even here that would say "See You don't need a 29 round, open class gun, or even a G-17 to shoot this, you can do it with Airsoft."

As an aside I am getting an Airsoft to teach my daughter wih. That way I don't need to drive to the range and I can spend 15 minutes a couple times a week to fit her schedule of schoolwork and friends.

But it will still be "NOT USPSA" but just training.

Jim

Training, OK, Junior intro to the sport OK, BUT!

It must remain totally separated. We cannot allow Airsoft or .22's to be a part of the sport. If we do, there are many places in the world and even here that would say "See You don't need a 29 round, open class gun, or even a G-17 to shoot this, you can do it with Airsoft."

As an aside I am getting an Airsoft to teach my daughter wih. That way I don't need to drive to the range and I can spend 15 minutes a couple times a week to fit her schedule of schoolwork and friends.

But it will still be "NOT USPSA" but just training.

Jim

It's not often you get to hear this from me ( :rolleyes: ) but I agree with Jim.

It would be very dangerous to formally embrace .22 or Airsoft into IPSC. It's OK for training and even with other carefully considered associations but it must never be portrayed as being IPSC proper. For many countries IPSC shooting, particularly as a widely shot international discipline, remains the best reason for full bore gun ownership. IPSC REQUIRES a minimum calibre.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Here in the UK, airsoft (or gas powered pistol) is all we are allowed to shoot (handgun wise) since the handgun ban in '98. It is slowly gaining in popularity over here it is fun and competitive. It is an excellent practice aid but no replacement for live firearms. If, and it's a big IF, we are ever allowed handguns for sporting use again, the day I buy my new sti Edge in .40s&w is the same day my airsoft kit gets put in a box in the loft never to see the light of day.

Airsoft is a good training aid for the young shooters, but thats it. As Neil mentioned, it is important for IPSC to require a minimum calibre.

Airsoft is a good training aid for the young shooters, but thats it. As Neil mentioned, it is important for IPSC to require a minimum calibre.
It is more important for skilled professionals to leave countries where they are not free. There is no reason for doctors and scientists to stay in a country that tramples on their rights when you are welcome in America and many other places.