Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Dave.

We will be letting a very small number of shooters shoot the match on Friday but this will be determined on a case by case bases on why the shooter has to shoot on Friday with staff.

Carrom, if you shoot last years KY State or know someone that did you should know the quality of the match that is put on at Silver Creek. That should be enough to sell the match.

Wayne

. . . the quality of the match that is put on at Silver Creek. That should be enough to sell the match.

This year will be my fourth KY state match. The first one was good and it has improved each year. It is an automatic on our major match calendar.

I understand the concern about extra cost incurred because of the two day format. However, I shot the two-day format for the first time at Area 6 last year and I think there may be a performance advantage. Like most things in life, there are advantages and disadvantages.

I did shoot the KY state the past two years, and have enjoyed shooting the match. You guys to a great job! I am just not sure if a two day format for 10 stages will work for me. That is a lot of extra expense. I am sure the 06 match will be even better than 05, as I too have seen KY step up to higher levels over the past two years.

I dont know if there is an answer that pleases everybody. The objective here is to get the match over by noon on Sunday. A one day format doesnt allow for that unless you do it all on Saturday whihc is quite possible with the chosen format. If the match is ahead of schedule then it could get finished Saturday. Its about making it good for everybody. The RO's, the staff and all the shooters. With one day shooting on Sunday that puts the match into the afternoon, the awards into the evening and tearing down really late. So we as shooters need to think about the good of the match as a whole. If we dont we will only see more of what we have seen in Area 8. No Area 8 match this year. They cant find anybody to run it.

Please understand the only thing I have to do with the Ky state this year is that I have agreed to work the match. Although as a representative of a section club I did argue pretty hard for the chosen format after my experience with the matches in the past.

Living in Indianapolis it is right at 2 hours away, too close to pay the extra money to stay overnight, but with a 2 day format that would be 2 hours down, match, 2 hours back, rinse and repeat the next day.

Not sure that is worth it in my case, beside I find I do better w/o the break in shooting. If it were 12-14 stages I could see the 2 day format would be necessary, but not really for 10 stages unless you are planning several long courses of fire.

Not that anyone asked me but I would vote for an all day shoot on Friday or Saturday, or a 2 day Saturday/Sunday choice for shooters. I think you get a bigger turnout with something like this.

I am really torn on this one. Wayne and Chuck are great guys that really do a lot for the sport (both past and present). I want to patronize this match (really I do), but the two day format without even a CHOICE to shoot one day (either Friday or Saturday with Sunday as only a 2'nd (half-day format) as fortyfiveshooter suggested) does not really make it easy to draw travelling out-of-town shooters (especially for a Level II Sectional). The cost of hotel and additional meals really ups the ante. I guess we have to look at what the match is trying to acheive. It is apparently geared more for Kentucky / Indiana residents that live nearby (and to help accommodate staff). I am sure that it will be a fine sectional with or without the travelling shooters. It is, afterall, Kentucky's Sectional.

DVC,

Jeff

I don't know if I have an answer that will please everyone, but if you guys want my squad schedule that I used last year for the Area 6 (and will be using again this year) I will be happy to send it. It is in Excel format and allows for a certain amount of shooters to shoot all day Friday OR all day Saturday, OR in the two day format with some people shooting Sat Morn/Sun Morn, or Sat Afternoon/Sun Morn. It gets the match over with around 2pm on Sunday. The slots are first come/first serve, so if you snooze, you don't get the one day format. We were able to squeeze (and I do mean squeeze) 360+ shooters through last year. I don't have it with me at work right now, but if you will email me at 'cgnoyes@bellsouth.net', I will send you a copy when I get home. Good luck with the match! B)

Cindy

Edited by GAPEACH

I don't know if I have an answer that will please everyone, but if you guys want my squad schedule that I used last year for the Area 6 (and will be using again this year) I will be happy to send it. It is in Excel format and allows for a certain amount of shooters to shoot all day Friday OR all day Saturday, OR in the two day format with some people shooting Sat Morn/Sun Morn, or Sat Afternoon/Sun Morn. It gets the match over with around 2pm on Sunday. The slots are first come/first serve, so if you snooze, you don't get the one day format. We were able to squeeze (and I do mean squeeze) 360+ shooters through last year. I don't have it with me at work right now, but if you will email me at 'cgnoyes@bellsouth.net', I will send you a copy when I get home. Good luck with the match! B)

Cindy

And it worked out very well!

I did shoot the KY state the past two years, and have enjoyed shooting the match. You guys to a great job! I am just not sure if a two day format for 10 stages will work for me. That is a lot of extra expense. I am sure the 06 match will be even better than 05, as I too have seen KY step up to higher levels over the past two years.

[/qu

<THE 06 MATCH WILL BE EVEN BETTER THAT THE 05">,,,,,,,,,,,, Thanks for the flowers,[we] I hope the `06 meets your statement, I have been the MATCH DIRECTOR or the Co- match director for the matches,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, It is very hard to inprove after the last match as to me it was one of the smoothest matches I have been involved with, however, we are already working on the match, STAGES should be as in the past, shoot as you see `em.

I don't think anyone is forcing anyone to show up here, are they?

The best way to, IMO, to voice your disagreement with the two-day format is to simply don't shoot the match if the the number of stages don't justify a hotel expense and a couple of meals. Save your $$$ and shoot a bigger/better match if it is such a hassel to involve an overnight.

BTW - I shot the KY State last year. They had a great match with a fantastic staff.

The best way to, IMO, to voice your disagreement with the two-day format is to simply don't shoot the match if the the number of stages don't justify a hotel expense and a couple of meals. Save your $$$ and shoot a bigger/better match if it is such a hassel to involve an overnight.

Shot this match since it was held in Ashland and it's always been good. Hope it's just as good this year for all the competitors that like the format. Hope the match organizers don't mean to dis-invite anyone.

Chuck, what kind of awards are being distributed on Sunday after the match? People that shot the match on Saturday last year, did they miss out on some prizes?

Tom, By awards I meant plaques since it was a trophy only match, as it is this year. There were very few present. At Area 5 there was nobody by the time the last few were announced. I mean nobody, zilch, zero. Just the few of us left in the stat shack. The Ky State paid to mail out the plaques which I had to address and mail. Area 5 charged the competitor to ship the plaques but I still had to address and package 60 plaques. I am sure Ky will be charging to ship the plaques this year since it now cost about 5.00 to ship one.

Cindy

Cindy, Area 6 was the example I used but I didnt think you all had one day shooters. I may have been thinking about when it was in Charleston, SC. Its up to the Match Administration this year to decide on this.

Personally i dont think its that big of deal. Since the match will be over early enough to drive home Sunday I dont see the fuss. Even if they did shoot all Saturday most will stay Saturday night anyway then drive home Sunday Morning. As for extra meal cost I dont understand since you will be eating where ever you are. If they decide to keep the 2 day only format then the match will have plenty of shooters, if you decide to stay away because of one night in a hotel then it will be your loss. It has become one of the premeire matches in the eastern part of the country. Be glad they are putting it on. One day you may not have a match to attend, look at Area 8!

Since so few are willing to stick around to pick up a plaque, maybe we should catch on that people don't care about plaques and quit giving them away? Or, if we really want plaques, just send Manny the names and addresses of the winners and have him ship them directly.

Since so few are willing to stick around to pick up a plaque, maybe we should catch on that people don't care about plaques and quit giving them away?

I think people care about plaques . . . it is recognition and documentation of success after doing some hard work to get better. It's just that if you shoot on Saturday and head home, you are not there on Sunday to pick up the hardware.

Or, if we really want plaques, just send Manny the names and addresses of the winners and have him ship them directly.

Now this is an interesting idea . . .

Since so few are willing to stick around to pick up a plaque, maybe we should catch on that people don't care about plaques and quit giving them away? Or, if we really want plaques, just send Manny the names and addresses of the winners and have him ship them directly.

It sounds easy but what will Manny charge to pack and address 60-70 plaques? And the shipping is still about 5.00 each. IF the match added 5.00 per shooter to cover the cost then they would hear about the entry fee.

The stress that comes from putting one of these on is becoming more than any volunteer wants to deal with. There are always somebody whining about some facet of the match. I hate to admit it but I used to be one of those whiners. Not any more. After doing Area 5 last year I will whine no more about a match. Well maybe a littel in extreme circumstances. WE have one less match to attend this year, keep it up and there may be less next year. If the match fails because of the need for shooters to spend that one night in a hotel then you may not have one next year. This is the only club in the Section who was willing to put the match on. Loose them and no more Ky state.

Getting people to volunteer to put these matches on is one of the weakest links in this sport. So instead of whining about the extra night maybe you should be emailing the administration and offering to help work the match. If you are not willing to work then to be honest the sport doesnt really need you. Sorry if I am stepping on some toes but understand at one point in time I would be stepping on my own. I will be there working the match.