Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Front Site Jan/feb/06

cking

I get excited after seeing the cover.

So I read article. Its ok but so little information.

I'm mean it talked about maybe two stages and two shooters.

Maybe instead of shooting the match the author should shoot with RO's then actually cover the match.

I got so little information that it was just a tease.

I like to know about equipment used. Since Taran whip butt as usually, maybe some info on what and how he did it.

I just find Front Sight to be a very lite magazine.

Ok if you don't want spend the money on a thick mag but then how about some links to web site of extended articles and photo's.

Its not like you can buy front sight at any newstand.

I also found the coverage of the 3 Gun Nats to be a bit on the lite side. The pistol nats get all sorts of equipment coverage, not so for 3 Gun. Very little discussion of how the contests went in the different divisions. Little discussion of the shooting challenges and stages themselves. No discussion of technique.

Are we still the redheaded stepchildren of USPSA?

Front Site is OUR pub, and if WE want to improve it we have to contribut.

I try to send in things that give flavor and tips. Tell us what special skills were needed at that match.

What did you learn?

Who won? I know, some folks don't bother with this, but let's face it, in this sport that's about all the reward you get for hard work, is an "attaboy" an dmaybe your name in an article. No, I don't care who was third "D", LEO, Lady shooting minor revolver. But give us the top three in each division.

Cool stages, ideas or props?

Great hosts, or ideas for before or after parties?

Give us details, so we enjoy the match vicariously through the author.

And just so you can pick on me, I wrote the article in that issue on the La Paz Nats, and Bolivian Nats a couple years ago. Yes, it was short, but I'm working on it. Look for new ones, on S. Fl. Sectional, the Monster match and others....

peace out.

Edited by dirtypool40

Claude,

We have a policy that we do not publish unsigned letters. We definitely read them (obviously) but to publish it, I need a signed hard copy.

Up to you. . .

Robin

----- Original Message -----

To: Robin Taylor

Sent: Friday, January 13, 2006 12:25 PM

Subject: RE: Letter to the editor, Front Sight

Robin

I'm not going to take to time to use snail mail. However I will edit the version below. If you want to publish it fine, if not OK, just forward it to somebody who cares!

I get excited after seeing the cover of the Jan/Feb 06 2005 3-Gun Nationals issue. I run a small Florida Club that has 3-Gun matches.

So I read article. It is ok but so little information.

Maybe instead of shooting the match the author should shoot with RO's then actually cover the match.

I liked to know about equipment & tactics used. Since Taran whipped butt as usual, maybe some info on what he used and how he did it. The article also mentions preloading and gun bunkers. So how did they work out? What were stages like. More Pics.

Ok if you don't want spend the money on a thick mag but then how about some links to a web site of extended articles and photo's.

Its not like you can buy front sight at any newstand. Many books published today provide a special web site for additional material.

Claude King

Gainesville Florida

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Friday, January 13, 2006 2:47 PM

To: King,Claude M

Subject: Letter to the editor, Front Sight

Claude,

You make some excellent points. Would you be interested in submitting this as a letter to the editor (perhaps cleaned up a bit)?

If you'd like to see it published, I'll need a signed hard copy sent to: Front Sight magazine, P.O. Box 811, Sedro-Woolley, WA 98284.

Sincerely,

Robin Taylor

Assistant Editor

Front Sight magazine

----- Original Message -----

To: office@uspsa.org

Sent: Friday, January 13, 2006 11:03 AM

Subject: Front sight

I get excited after seeing the cover.

So I read article. Its ok but so little information.

I like to know about equipment used. Since Taran whip butt as usually, maybe some info on what and how he did it.

Ok if you don't want spend the money on a thick mag but then how about some links to web site of extended articles and photo's.

Its not like you can buy front sight at any newstand.

Front Sight is still far and away better than the IDPA Tactical Journal.I wish they would cut the IDPA yearly dues $20 and just send out a newsletter twice a year with the major match announcements in it.

Anyone can write for Front Site (they let DP write so that PROVES that point! :P ). Want to see something in FS? Write 'er up.

FWIW there are a LOT of folks on this forum that are good writers, editors, and/or proof-readers. Got ideas but don't know how to write them up? Ask and someone will probably help you get the words right for nothing more than the satisfaction of having helped and maybe a mention in the by-line or acknowledgements section.

And in the spirit of putting ones time/money where ones mouth is...I'll help. PM me if you need assistance.

Edited by kimel

Anyone can write for Front Site (they let DP write so that PROVES that point! :P ). Want to see something in FS? Write 'er up.

FWIW there are a LOT of folks on this forum that are good writers, editors, and/or proof-readers. Got ideas but don't know how to write them up? Ask and someone will probably help you get the words right for nothing more than the satisfaction of having helped and maybe a mention in the by-line or acknowledgements section.

And in the spirit of putting ones time/money where ones mouth is...I'll help. PM me if you need assistance.

problem is if we're also shooting the match, all you'd get is a report of your squad.