Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Prodigy Optic Coming Loose

I am trying to decide between getting a Prodigy and throwing in EGW internals, Cheely grip, and a Holosun 507comp vs a Staccato P. I know the Prodigy should be a more competitive gun in this configuration, but I've seen and read a fair amount of people having issues with their optics coming loose. That, combined with the idea that a Staccato typically runs right out of the box with no need to maintenance things like you would a Prodigy or race gun. 

While a stock Staccato P may not be the most "competitive" for LO, I don't shoot matches as much as I used to, and I don't reload ammo anymore for the time being (just too busy). 

So ideally I'd like a gun that doesn't require a bunch of maintenance or tweaking. I know that's a lot to ask of a 2011 lol. 

1 hour ago, 2011sErrydayAllday said:

I am trying to decide between getting a Prodigy and throwing in EGW internals, Cheely grip, and a Holosun 507comp vs a Staccato P. I know the Prodigy should be a more competitive gun in this configuration, but I've seen and read a fair amount of people having issues with their optics coming loose. That, combined with the idea that a Staccato typically runs right out of the box with no need to maintenance things like you would a Prodigy or race gun. 

While a stock Staccato P may not be the most "competitive" for LO, I don't shoot matches as much as I used to, and I don't reload ammo anymore for the time being (just too busy). 

So ideally I'd like a gun that doesn't require a bunch of maintenance or tweaking. I know that's a lot to ask of a 2011 lol. 

If you don't, "shoot matches as much as you used too", The Prodigy will work fine as is for quite awhile. No real NEED to swap everything out. Check the optic screws and use loctite. 

1 hour ago, ALL_comped_EVERYTHING said:

Check out the MPA DS9 LOC from Masterpiece Arms. They were built specifically for Limited Optics. They are ready to go to the box with a metal grip, 2lb trigger, and priced ($3,000) close  the “Duty” Staccato. They also have great customer service and warranty if needed. 

True true, I'm lefty, so the slide stop thumb rest doesn't do me any good, but I heard they're offering drilled and tapped thumb rests. 

I fought that issue for a while.

In my case it was due to the optic plate being a bit loose in the optic cut out.

Super easy solution was to use a piece of a soda/beer can as a shim on the muzzle end of the optic plate.

Use a razor blade and trim excess aluminium. Torque and loctite per normal.

Has not come loose after many thousands of rounds.

2 hours ago, ALL_comped_EVERYTHING said:

Check out the MPA DS9 LOC from Masterpiece Arms. They were built specifically for Limited Optics. They are ready to go to the box with a metal grip, 2lb trigger, and priced ($3,000) close  the “Duty” Staccato. They also have great customer service and warranty if needed. 

Where are you finding a MPA DS9 LOC for $3,000?

3 hours ago, 2011sErrydayAllday said:

Couple weeks ago, I bought a new 5" Prodigy on gunbroker for $900, no CC fee, and free shipping. It came with 5 mags and a Viridian green dot that fit the 13b plate that comes regular on the Prodigy. Oil it liberally, rack the slide while watching a movie to wear in the Cerakote, add an $18 ebay magwell. Tweek the mainspring center leg a touch, replace the mainspring with a 17# and the recoil spring with a 8-10#, if you feel like it, and spend the rest on ammo. Done on a budget for a BU gun. My main match gun has a Cheely grip, and EE trigger kit, and 507Comp.

On the plate, people aren't torquing enough. I don't think 15# is enough. I've never had a plate or optic screw come loose with Blue locktite and some torque. YMMV.

I tried pretty much everything I could think of on mine: blue loctite, orange loctite, red loctite, green loctite, vibratite, rockset, and probably a couple others.  The shorter screw above the extractor kept coming loose.  Ended up going old-school and used a small chisel to stake it in place.  Works great.  And since the optic is on top, there's no cosmetic issues.  And no problem removing it if I need to.

I've used a dab of a different sealant at times on the plate - not enough to truly glue it down, but just to give it a little extra stability.  And I'm a big fan of buying better screws (TrueValue, McMasterCarr, etc), the screws included in most optics/plates are just hot trash in most cases (just slightly wrong sized, too soft, etc).  

The last Prodigy I worked on, the 'factory' plate had so much extra Blue loctite on it that it took a hammer and chisel to remove it - the thing was just flat out glued down.  About 1/3 of the flat part of the plate was covered in the factory blue loctite.  

Loctite makes a clear silicone sealant that would probably do the trick on the plate.  Only a wee bit would be needed I think.  It might take some prying to separate the plate from the slide if removal is desired, but it shouldn't be too hard and the sealant would peel off cleanly.

1 hour ago, GunBugBit said:

Loctite makes a clear silicone sealant that would probably do the trick on the plate.  Only a wee bit would be needed I think.  It might take some prying to separate the plate from the slide if removal is desired, but it shouldn't be too hard and the sealant would peel off cleanly.

Thank you for that suggestion. Honestly I would never remove the optic unless it died so probably a good solution for me. 

Back when all the front sights on 1911s were stake on, an old gunsmith showed me a trick of filling the slot for the front sight with red loctite before putting the sight in and staking it. He said the heavier combat front sight blades tended to come loose and fly off even when properly staked. The cause was the front sight having room to move around, and filling the voids with red loctite stopped that. I always used the loctite on an install and never had a front sight shoot loose.

When I kept having issues with the optic plate on my Prodigy loosening I decided to try putting red loctite between the plate and slide, along with using it on the screws. Problem solved! The plate has stayed tight ever since I did that.