Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Empty cases on the range floor a slip hazard?

... yep, that's me ... it's been a while since I fell during IPSC HG Training ... so here it goes .... 3rd & 1st person view video on why empty cases can lead to sh*tty situations ... ego bruised, wrist and knee hurting, but overall OK, to include the gun 🙂

8 hours ago, caspian guy said:

Man that sucks. We try to brush the empty cases out of the running path at the indoor match I sometimes shoot but even then I have had that happen.

Good luck with the recovery.

Thanks, my left wrist still hurts, but I think it'll cure fast. Already shot a Level 2 match 🙂

Its hard to tell if the specific piece of brass which initiated the loss in traction was existing prior to your stage run or added by your shooting during your run. If you look at the video footage there is a new piece of brass added to the ground during your shooting in the same place where you lost your footing.

What is odd to me is how your brass is seemingly dribbling out of the gun as it is ejected. I setup my guns and ammo so that the Brass is thrown FAR away from my shooting position.

Either way, concrete floors on indoor ranges are usually slippery no matter what. I have fallen down more during stage runs at indoor matches with slippery floors vs outdoors. Shoes with legitimate slip resistant traction on the soles are a MUST any time I am shooting indoors.

9 hours ago, CHA-LEE said:

Its hard to tell if the specific piece of brass which initiated the loss in traction was existing prior to your stage run or added by your shooting during your run. If you look at the video footage there is a new piece of brass added to the ground during your shooting in the same place where you lost your footing.

What is odd to me is how your brass is seemingly dribbling out of the gun as it is ejected. I setup my guns and ammo so that the Brass is thrown FAR away from my shooting position.

Either way, concrete floors on indoor ranges are usually slippery no matter what. I have fallen down more during stage runs at indoor matches with slippery floors vs outdoors. Shoes with legitimate slip resistant traction on the soles are a MUST any time I am shooting indoors.

Thanks Charli

12 hours ago, CHA-LEE said:

Char-Lee,

What shoes do you like for that?

I am currently using a pair of Steve Madden dress shoes that have really good slip resistant soles. I think these are made for restaurant workers who are walking on greasy kitchen floors but also need to look somewhat decent for customers. The thing I really like about these shoes is that the sole is flat which promotes a stable stance. There are a lot of slip resistant sole shoes on the market which have the toe portion angled upwards and that makes them promote a forward tip over which we don't need when entering shooting positions.

Here is a link to the specific shoes I am using these days for slippery indoor ranges. But there are many other shoe brands out there who make slip resistant sole shoes.

https://www.dsw.com/product/steve-madden-sparrow-work-sneaker/549266

Most (over 95%) of our matches are indoors and most, maybe even over half, of the shooters are running Salomons Speedcross. They just work on most surfaces.

Our floors are not slippery at all though so YMMV.