Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I’m Thinking About Buying An Xd

chp5

It's extremely irritating that you can't get parts from Springfield. Back before I made my own extended mag release, I tried to buy one from Springfield. They said I would have to send my gun in to get it. What?!? I created a tutorial on how to quickly install/change the mag release, I know how to change the release. I don't need to spend $20 on shipping and be without my gun for a week or more just for a stinking mag release!!

If Springfield wants to take away some of Glocks Production market, they WILL have to make parts available.

+1

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a Tactical XD9 and like it alot. Trigger job by Canyon Creek, Dawson sights, and your ready to rock! I liked it so much that I won a Glock certificate and traded it for another XD9 Tactical. This will also get the same treatment.

The weak points in the gun are the recoil spring assembly and the locking block. Recoil assembly tends to break, crappy weld. And the locking block cracks where the slide hits it, they didn't radius a couple of sharp corners leading to stress risers.

The locking block issue should be fixed on newer models. Mine has radiused corners.

It is my opinion that extended mag releases are NOT USPSA Production legal on the XD's. To be legal, they would have to come on a Production line gun (approved) as standard equipment, not added on by the "custom shop".

I do have an XD coming. When I get a chance to pick it up I'll do some comparisons (with the Glock).

Edited by Flexmoney

It is my opinion that extended mag releases are NOT USPSA Production legal on the XD's. To be legal, they would have to come on a Production line gun (approved) as standard equipment, not added on by the "custom shop".

I do have an XD coming. When I get a chance to pick it up I'll do some comparisons (with the Glock).

I tend to agree, but I see the other side as well. An official ruling would clarify.

When you getting the XD Flex? Will you shoot it stock first or get some sights and a trigger job immediatly?

Edited by chp5

The XD is in. I just need to drive and pick it up. I just got back in town and have some other stuff at the top of the to-do list, so it might be a bit before I go get it.

I got it just to check it out, tear it apart and such...see what makes it tick. I don't see me re-gearing to shoot it in competition much. I'll likely run some test with it, then put it right back up for sale.

I had a chance to shoot the HS2000/XD today before I decide to buy it or not (it's a friend's). It’s the 4 inch model with the stock, dual recoil spring system. I shot it side by side with my beloved G17. The G17 is my Production gun and has a very nice trigger and nice sights. The XD is bone stock.

I found the XD pointed well for me and transitioned well too. The LONG stock trigger and LONG reset took some getting used to, but it wasn't terrible. Occasionally I'd yank one low. After some practice, I got some .18 splits at about 8-9 yards with it while shooting A's. However, that was not consistent. I could see how the Canyon Creek trigger would make a huge difference.

I also had no problem hitting a 6" plate at 20 yards when I did my part. Occasionally the slide would not lock back on an empty mag. I think my right thumb was riding the slide release lever. I’d have to work through that issue. Any tips?

The unavailability of parts still worries me, but I think I'll buy the XD because I can get it pretty cheap. Next, I need a Canyon Creek trigger job, Uncle Mikes holster and a few mag holders . . .

Occasionally the slide would not lock back on an empty mag. I think my right thumb was riding the slide release lever. I’d have to work through that issue. Any tips?

The unavailability of parts still worries me, but I think I'll buy the XD because I can get it pretty cheap. Next, I need a Canyon Creek trigger job, Uncle Mikes holster and a few mag holders . . .

I occasionaly had the same problem, during/after reading BE's book a changed my grip to mimick his in the book where the strong hand thumb lays on top of the weak hand thumb with both pointing towards the target not touching the frame. This kept my thumb away from the slide release and I haven't had that problem since.

The parts thing worries me as well, I shot my 40 Tact last year without any issues but worry about a break/wear. I keep betting that this like most things will pass and they'll loosen up again.

The Canyon Creek trigger job is like night and day compared to stock. Mine's very crisp with little takeup or reset..

Too many reasons to list, many were covered here. When you add it all up, I would have to say-IHO buy a Glock.:huh:

I tend to agree. I shoot Glocks in both Production and Limited - and I own 7 Glocks.

However I have a line on a cheap XD. I shot it yesterday and was impressed. I'm sure it would be ~20% easier to shoot with a good trigger. If Springfield made parts available, I bet the XD would make great gains in the % of Production shooters using them.

Steyr?

I read in another forum that Steyr is on some US Government sh*t list for selling sniper rifles to the Axis of Evil countries. Might look into that before deciding on a purchase.

If you want a Steyr get a Steyr - and they do make great rifles.

The political stuff is going to depend on who is paying whom, ignore it. Those who are bad this week will be good next week, etc.......

Exactly. Just because AKs are the primary weapon of 90% of our enemys, does not mean I would not purchase a Kalashnikov. Steyer makes excelent guns, I would personaly :wub: an AUG.

On topic, my father has a buddy that loves his XD, I haven't shot it, but im shure it would do fine in competition.

• 1 month later...

I totally agree with chp5. I was looking to start shooting Prod. this year and really wanted to get the XD. Then I heard about the parts issue. I ended up with a G34.

Maybe someday when Springfield smartens up I'll get one...but I can tell you they lost a sale from me and one other shooter I know of at my club....so far.

The fact that Springfield doesn't sell parts blows my mind. That's an issue to me. If you spend time/money and travel to a match and your gun breaks, you can't simply pull out your box of parts and fix it.

What's Springfield's reasoning for not selling parts? Maybe someone on the board that knows Rob Leatham can let him know that WE WANT PARTS AVAILABLITY! I honestly believe that parts availablity will encourage competative shooters to go with the XD platform.

Yea, that was my point too. I was looking at the XD Tactical and the G34 for Production class. I have to go with the G34 at this time. I was telling another gun friend about this recently and he couldn't believe Springfield won't supply parts. I wonder what Leatham does if his gun goes down at a match? I bet he has parts.

I did buy the XD - and got a great deal on it.

I shot it once and sent it to Rich at Canyon Creek. Within one week (yesterday) I got it back from Rich with a great trigger. I'll shoot it this weekend and report back.

Thanks Rich!

chp5, what did you end of having done?

Please do report back...cause someday I'll get my XD..

Sorry - Rich did a competition trigger job. The take up is minimal and the trigger breaks around 2.5-3 pounds (finger test only - I haven't used a gauge yet).

XD's have a terrible reset out of the box. The reset is now less than half the stock reset length.

• 2 weeks later...

Though many are concerned over the availability of XD parts (myself included), few people have had them break down. There are some great gunsmiths for them (RICH at CC) and when properly adjusted (Rich's trigger job, etc.) the guns shoot great. The Glock's have the advantage of parts and access to lots of accessories, but the XD grip is really great. I like that the grip frame allows an easy switch to the 1911. Besides that, the guns shoot great, I've been nothing but pleased with my choice of an XD .

Cy, we have been down this road before. Remember the STI. You will be back with your Glock soon. :P

I've shot about 800 rounds through the HS2000 and love it. Rich @ Canyon Creek did an excellent trigger job. It actually points better for me than the Glock.

However, I'm getting failures to extract about about 2% of the time. The brass seems to completely stay in the chamber. The extractor claw looks fine.

I'd love to shoot it in Production in the SC State match in a couple of weeks, but the FTE's are baffling me.

Any suggestions?

Edited by chp5

The XD has a tight, supported chamber. You can have the problems you describe if there is a lot of fouling (like after shooting several hundred rounds). This problem is compounded if you haven't cleaned the barrel and/or if your reloads aren't resized down enough.

I also had problems with loading Zero bullets. The angle on the 124 gr. FMJ was not as high as a Winchester white box bullet. I don't recall my OAL, however, when the bullet was rammed into the chamber, the Zero bullet would hit the lip where the chamber meets the barrel. When I'd do a "open and show clear", I couldn't get the slide open. ....I reduced my OAL and the problem went away.

I suggest:

- cleaning your barrel after shooting each time

- if you are reloading, making sure your resizer die goes all the way to the shell plate to take care of the Glock-buldged brass

- use a factory crimp die that will also help to resize back to spec

- use your barrel to gage each reloaded round (my XD barrel was tighter than my sizer gage.

Have fun,

Darren

However, I'm getting failures to extract about about 2% of the time. The brass seems to completely stay in the chamber. The extractor claw looks fine.

I'd love to shoot it in Production in the SC State match in a couple of weeks, but the FTE's are baffling me.

Any suggestions?

I'm very familiar with the Glocks but I would like to try the XD 9 Tactical. The parts issue is making me think hard about it though. Doesn't make any sense.

If you are around MI I have a 40 tac I will let you shoot.

QUOTE(chp5 @ Mar 19 2006, 06:50 PM)

Any suggestions?

I have had to polish the chamber on one of my xd's was just a little to tight.

My oal I use is 1.125 seems to work fine in all mine

post-5716-1142869600.jpg

post-5716-1142869616.jpg

UPDATE

I polished the chamber last night and shoot about 320 rounds through the HS2000 this AM. The rounds were a combo of my reloads and Rem 115's.

I had zero failures to extract! (knock on wood)

What Dremel attachment did you use for polishing the chamber BTW?

Thanks.

UPDATE

I polished the chamber last night and shoot about 320 rounds through the HS2000 this AM. The rounds were a combo of my reloads and Rem 115's.

I had zero failures to extract! (knock on wood)

What Dremel attachment did you use for polishing the chamber BTW?

Thanks.

I have some threaded rolls I use for porting cylinder heads they are tapper in various grits the holder is a rod with a point and some threads on it

Glad I could help

Rob

post-5716-1143056905.jpg