Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Storm Lake Barrel

Flashooter

Greetings, Flexmoney, et al:

I have a couple of questions concerning the Storm Lake (SL) barrel.

I have a Glock 35 (.40 caliber) with a SL conversion barrel in 9 mm caliber. The SL barrel extends about 1 inch beyond the slide and has a total of 6 ports (pop holes). I have tested it with Winchester White Box and it seems to funnction well for minor PF. My set up includes a Docter dot sight, 14 lb wolf recoil spring and Vanek trigger. This combination shoots very flat and accurate.

I'd like to use this set-up in IPSC Open division using 9 Major loads. Can I use this set-up which includes the stock Glock slide and SL barrel for 9 Major loads? Is it necessary to replace the stock Glock slide with an after-market one? Is it possible to safely make major PF with so many ports (pop holes)? Any recommendations for bullet weight, powder type/and amount?

Any other advice and insight is most welcome.

Thanx!

Welcome to the board. Sounds like a nice set up that you have. I did a simple search under 9mm major and found a bunch of threads. This one might give you some insight into your question.

You might find this thread helpful: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...48&hl=9mm+major

If you hit the search button you can search all forums or you can search a specific forum like the 9mm/38 reloading board that will have some good threads for you to consider.

Have fun with your project and again, welcome.

Rick

Welcome to the board. Sounds like a nice set up that you have. I did a simple search under 9mm major and found a bunch of threads. This one might give you some insight into your question.

You might find this thread helpful: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...48&hl=9mm+major

If you hit the search button you can search all forums or you can search a specific forum like the 9mm/38 reloading board that will have some good threads for you to consider.

Have fun with your project and again, welcome.

Rick

Thanx for the link and for your welcome, Rick!

I found some more info by doing a search (as you suggested) on Storm Lake Barrel. However, I'd still like to hear from anyone who may be using a ported Storm Lake barrel for 9 Major.

Thanx again, Rick.

I have a Glock 35 (.40 caliber) with a SL conversion barrel in 9 mm caliber. The SL barrel extends about 1 inch beyond the slide and has a total of 6 ports (pop holes). I have tested it with Winchester White Box and it seems to funnction well for minor PF. My set up includes a Docter dot sight, 14 lb wolf recoil spring and Vanek trigger. This combination shoots very flat and accurate.

I'd like to use this set-up in IPSC Open division using 9 Major loads. Can I use this set-up which includes the stock Glock slide and SL barrel for 9 Major loads? Is it necessary to replace the stock Glock slide with an after-market one? Is it possible to safely make major PF with so many ports (pop holes)? Any recommendations for bullet weight, powder type/and amount?

Thanx!

I have a couple of glocks shooting stock stides shooting major. The slide (35) is not the issue they are plenty strong. I would take a hard look at the amount of support in the storm lake barel . Although they make a decent product I havent seen any thing they have produced with the material needed at the case mouth to support repeated firings(brass) of major 9 You might get away with new brass or once fired . go beyond that and look out for a 6'oglock rupture. The only barrel I know of and trust is the kkm gunsmith fit in 9 mm . made for 17 slides only . I wish it were better news but i would be carful with this set up.

Johnnie

Edited by Mad Scientist

Thanx!

I have a couple of glocks shooting stock stides shooting major. The slide (35) is not the issue they are plenty strong. I would take a hard look at the amount of support in the storm lake barel . Although they make a decent product I havent seen any thing they have produced with the material needed at the case mouth to support repeated firings(brass) of major 9 You might get away with new brass or once fired . go beyond that and look out for a 6'oglock rupture. The only barrel I know of and trust is the kkm gunsmith fit in 9 mm . made for 17 slides only . I wish it were better news but i would be carful with this set up.

Johnnie

Thanx for the detailed explanation, Johnnie! I will heed your advice and not shoot 9 Major out of this barrel. It definitely seems like the gunsmith fitted KKM is the way to go!

Thanx!

Best way to tell is to build up your loads toward Major and test for signs of pressure.

I'd try HS6 with 124g or 135g bullets.

Flex,

I recently tried a 135 Berry's bullet with 10.0 grains of HS6 for a 169 PF. There were no signs of excessive pressure, but I personally didn't like the feel of the recoil. Today I tested a new load using a 155 bullet with 5.9 grains of Tight Group. I like it much better than the 135 bullet. I need to chrono it and hope it makes major. I find I'm losing a lot of velocity with the 6 pop holes on the storm lake barrel. I guess I need to part with the $ for a KKM barrel.

I've learned a great deal through this forum.

Many thanx for your response, Flex!

I have a similiar setup with a G-34 and a Storm Lake 6 port barrel, JPoint Red Dot, Tungsten Guide rod & clipped IMSI 13 lb spring, and T.H.E Magwell. I chronied a 9 major load from the VV load chart using a PACT Chronograph on an 80 degree day and lost 100-120 fps due to the 6 ports. I did the same thing with WWB through the Glock barrel and the Storm Lake, same results. It makes a great 9 Minor though, almost like a .22. Good luck.

John

I can't speak to the case of using a SL barrel for 9 Major. However, I did have a 9mm SL barrel form my G27. It was extended with ports cut in the end of it. It had burrs left in the bore where they machined the ports. I don't know if it hurt anything but I was not impressed with the quality. Otherwise it did shoot fine.

Edited by Tweaker

• 5 weeks later...

I love this blogging thing.... I get to read about every question I have all in one forum.

Since this string has already been established, I also have some questions in this area. I have been looking (and drooling) over the Glock Major Open Class 17's on the S&J Customs site. Yes, I have already figured out that John's picture on the site is the exact same picture for Mad Scientist, and they are the same. So, here's my question on the Open guns...

Is 9mm Major a super hot 9x19 round? If so, just how safe is it? Does it have a higher chamber pressure than a +p 9mm Luger? Does it regularly have primer failures (even using rifle primers)? How does using rifle primers effect what trigger work can be done (i.e. light strikes)? How much more does a KKM chamber support the brass compaired to other brands, does it fully support? If not, how touchy are reloads to not 6o'glock your gun, but still make major?

Based on all of the above concerns, wouldn't it just be easier and safer to make a Glock in .40 for open and sacrifice a couple of rounds? Yes, I know this is blasphomy.... actually have to reload a couple of rounds sooner, LOL, but I haven't found an Open Glock in .40 anywhere.

Lastly, John, If you read this, I would love pictures of your limited glock on your site.

I'll save my questions about the Sotelo trigger vs the lightening strike set-up John does for a new string....

Is 9mm Major a super hot 9x19 round?

Yes...it is a super hot 9mm round. And, in the glock, you don't have a lot of extra room to load long for safety (overall length = OAL)

If so, just how safe is it?

You are far past the book loads when playing in this area. Probably not for rookie reloaders.

Does it have a higher chamber pressure than a +p 9mm Luger?

I don't know...probably a bunch more pressure.

Does it regularly have primer failures (even using rifle primers)?

That is something you really have to look for as you workup a load to Major. Most everybody suggests small pistol magnum or rifle primers for these hot loads.

How does using rifle primers effect what trigger work can be done (i.e. light strikes)?

I used to use all Federal 200 primers...these are Small Pistol Magnum (people say they are the same as Federal Small Rifle). I used I reduced power striker spring...never had issues with light primer strikes.

How much more does a KKM chamber support the brass compared to other brands, does it fully support?

You'd probably have to hunt down some side-by-side comparisons. No chamber is really "fully supported". The KKM is likely a good bet though.

If not, how touchy are reloads to not 6o'glock your gun, but still make major?

Again, this is a high pressure reload...not for the rookie. There are a lot of other factors besides how much 6 o'clock support you have.

Based on all of the above concerns, wouldn't it just be easier and safer to make a Glock in .40 for open and sacrifice a couple of rounds?

You think Open 40 Major would be safer? Hmmmmm... 40 brass 9some of it) scares me more than 9mm sometimes.

There are quite a few of them out there (Open 40 glocks).

Did all that sound like dooms-day??? :huh:

I occasionally shoot Open 9x19 major with 3 pinned G17 Glock’s (3 Built using 1 Briley and 2 KKM barrels) and working up a load like flex said is a little more difficult due to the limited amount of OAL you have to work with.

But having said that it can be done and it’s not that difficult. One of the things that I did was that I use Montana Gold’s 357 SIG bullet (.355 diameter 125 grain RSFP) that gave me enough wiggle room for it to fit in the magazine (No Oglive issues) and not show excessive pressure signs. I tend use SR primers but I have also used WSP primers in a pinch. I have worked up loads using N350 and Longshot. Anyway have fun with you new toy once you get it.

We have built a lot of Glock open 9 guns and have used several manufactures barrels, my choice are KKM and briley. We have used some storm lake barrels but not for major 9 setup, there specs vary from barrel to barrel. As far as using factory glock slides for open,there are no problems.

I love this blogging thing.... I get to read about every question I have all in one forum.

Since this string has already been established, I also have some questions in this area. I have been looking (and drooling) over the Glock Major Open Class 17's on the S&J Customs site. Yes, I have already figured out that John's picture on the site is the exact same picture for Mad Scientist, and they are the same. So, here's my question on the Open guns...

Is 9mm Major a super hot 9x19 round? If so, just how safe is it? Does it have a higher chamber pressure than a +p 9mm Luger? Does it regularly have primer failures (even using rifle primers)? How does using rifle primers effect what trigger work can be done (i.e. light strikes)? How much more does a KKM chamber support the brass compaired to other brands, does it fully support? If not, how touchy are reloads to not 6o'glock your gun, but still make major?

Based on all of the above concerns, wouldn't it just be easier and safer to make a Glock in .40 for open and sacrifice a couple of rounds? Yes, I know this is blasphomy.... actually have to reload a couple of rounds sooner, LOL, but I haven't found an Open Glock in .40 anywhere.

Lastly, John, If you read this, I would love pictures of your limited glock on your site.

I'll save my questions about the Sotelo trigger vs the lightening strike set-up John does for a new string....

Sa

The 9 major is a supper hot round running in the 45,000to 50,000 psi range with most loads.that being said reloading must be aproached with caution.

!!!!YOU WILL BE OVER SPECS!!!!

I use small pistol primers in all my guns . the small riffle primers came from the old days of supper shooters with unsutable powders. they realy only mask problems and can create more than they are worth.

the kkm barrels give as much support as "fully supported " 1911 stuff out their .The material if moved rearward in the ramp area to protect the web of the case in the ramp .

On nine brass I feel that since the cartrige was designed in 1908 or so and operated as the highest presure round of the day the makers had to beef up the case to handle the 33,000 psi so with todays modern materials and metal the case is as strong as any out there. there is more material in the 9 than the supper and the 40. The 9 also is as strong as supper comp. which is much thicker than standard supper.

on the limeted gun I posted one on this forum a few years back in the gallery . Might try a search on my name.

Thanks Flex and John.

I'm new to USPSA, but not new to reloading. Been doing that for quite a long time, mostly rifle and pistol loads for hunting and shotgun for trap and skeet. I'm very well versed in building up a load and checking for accuracy and high pressures, but going beyond the normal spec's is a new concept for me. So, that's why all the questions.

The info helps a lot.

Flex, you said you were concerned more about the .40 brass. Doesn't most hotter factory(defense loads) sold on the market make Major PF in a .40? I understand the brass base is thinner on the .40 than the 9x19. There is also a bigger risk of a double-charged round too (when reloading). Are these the reasons there are more kabooms in the 40's? :unsure: