Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

coating advice and opinions DLC vs PVD vs Chromium Nitride vs hard chrome

I'm trying to figure out what to go with on my next build and was hoping for some opinions and good options(for each coating) for coating. im curious to see what everyone experiences have been with each as well and where the pros and cons may be if you've experienced them.

my build in progress is an island/hybrid/sight tracker whatever you want to call it and my thoughts are as follows;

Grip: is almost certainly going DLC 

Frame and Slide: i was thinking maybe Hard chrome/polished silver PVD/ Chromium nitride. 

Barrel: maybe a silver/gunmetal PVD or a Chromium nitride(contrasting whatever i do with the slide and frame.

Small Parts: rose gold PVD (brass color)

Gun will be for limited minor/limited optics.

11 hours ago, jwhittin said:

Hard to beat DLC, which also uses a PVD process. Find a company that offers dlc in various colors and go for it.    

from my understanding DCL is a form of PVD. i was hoping as part of the post that others could lead me in the right direction on reputable company's that offer coating. Thanks

3 hours ago, RangerTrace said:

Hard Chrome is my all-time-favorite pistol finish.  But, some people just don't like the silver color.

any companies you would advices me to look at for HC?

22 hours ago, beastmode_05 said:

any companies you would advices me to look at for HC?

Ford custom guns in FL for one.  I can't remember who Cheely used, but they did a nice job too.  You might reach out to Tripp.  He might still do it on a limited basis.  I will send Matt a text in a bit to see who does it for him.

On 8/7/2024 at 8:28 AM, RangerTrace said:

Ford custom guns in FL for one.  I can't remember who Cheely used, but they did a nice job too.  You might reach out to Tripp.  He might still do it on a limited basis.  I will send Matt a text in a bit to see who does it for him.

awesome thanks!

My choice is DLC first and Hard Chrome second. I have a lot of DLC's and they wear and look great, Hard Chrome is beautiful but still can scuff up.

I have several PVD gold, bronze/rose barrels but they don't seem to wear as good at PVD.  

I also would like to know somebody that does good DLC because I've seen some that weren't so good. And the prices for barrels range from like 50-150. Staccato wouldn't tell me who did theirs before they took it in-house but those were great. 

6 hours ago, sharko said:

My choice is DLC first and Hard Chrome second. I have a lot of DLC's and they wear and look great, Hard Chrome is beautiful but still can scuff up.

I have several PVD gold, bronze/rose barrels but they don't seem to wear as good at PVD.  

I also would like to know somebody that does good DLC because I've seen some that weren't so good. And the prices for barrels range from like 50-150. Staccato wouldn't tell me who did theirs before they took it in-house but those were great. 

staccato does their own DLC. DNA firearms is a solid DLC coater from my research so far. havent been able to track down alot of other well renowned PVD coaters that take small jobs and would likely do the coating on polished surface like id like.

On 8/9/2024 at 7:02 PM, CHA-LEE said:

This topic has been brought up a bunch of times on the BE forum. Use the Search Function to find your answers.

i went through several pages maybe i don't know how to search correctly but i could find a recent list of reputable coaters or a decent explanation comparing these specific coating options. 

13 hours ago, beastmode_05 said:

i went through several pages maybe i don't know how to search correctly but i could find a recent list of reputable coaters or a decent explanation comparing these specific coating options. 

You're good.  Coaters come and go.  Fresh data isn't a bad thing.

to each their own. .Personally for a build I have no use for coatings, Id just go stainless and bead blast it matt finnish,, OR just do a carbon steel gun and blue it. I mean most likely I am gonna change something,, parts wear, scratches are had,, I can just touch things up with some Brownells Oxyblue.  I tended to use my guns, and wasnt overly concerned with artistic qualities.