Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gen 5 17 how to make it autofoward

Raz22582

No matter how hard I slam a mag in it will it not auto forward my g45 does it all the time. Is there a way I can make it auto forward everytime?

Forget about this.  Learn to reload with a round still in the chamber so you don't run dry, or learn how to use the slide release.  If you start depending on the slide auto-forwarding when you load a mag, it will fail and leave you hanging, when you are depending on it and totally mess you up.

To piggyback off of Cuz:  "Auto-forward" is usually the result of either a well-worn Slide Stop with rounded edges or one that barely engages because of weak mag springs.  If it's THAT easily-tripped, it's just a matter of time before you slightly fumble a reload and the slide jumps forward slightly before the new mag is fully seated.  You've now closed the slide on an empty chamber and your next sound is the loudest CLICK you've ever heard when you were expecting a BANG.

Don't ask me how I know this....

Marvin_the_Martian.svg.png

Generally what causes this is the round in the new magazine bumping the slide up enough that it slips off or disengages the slide stop lever.  You can try using a longer magazine so that when you insert it hard enough it give it that “bump”.

My G17 Gen 3 did this from new.

Don't rely on this as it will bite you in the a$$ at some point.  Either rack the slide or use the slide stop.

If I slap the base of a full magazine "just right" while loading with the slide locked open, my G17 Gen 5 will release the slide and chamber a round.    I have done this a few times while loading at the start of a stage (mostly as a by product of getting a good grip) , but I don't recall ever doing so once the timer has sounded.   I'm not convinced I would save any time while doing so and I'm not inclined to put a lot of effort into practicing this.   In my view the time it takes me to slap the base of the magazine "just right" could be spent simply releasing the slide via the slide stop.

My recollection is that getting the slide to release by slapping the magazine depends more on where I slap the base of the magazine vs how hard I slap it, but I haven't paid much attention to this.   

I hope this is of some interest.  As usual the opinions and experiences of others may differ from mine.

The 5th generation has a different  mag r. spring. A spiral spring and it has 2 locking surfaces on both sides, therefore the friction is greater than it is locked on only one side as in the old models.

Not to bandwagon you, but don't get into that habit....   good stage planning and you know when to reload and otherwise, use the gun mechanisms.  I too have been bitten by trying to rely on that so finally broke that bad habit.   :)  

• 2 weeks later...

Better off getting an extended slide stop and practicing engaging it with your thumb as you slide your weak hand into position.