Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

WML in Carry Optics? Is it worth it?

Hey Gang! 

I haven't been active here on the forums or in USPSA for the last few years because I went through a midlife crisis and thought it was a good idea to go through nursing school.  Well... I'm a registered nurse now and finally switched to days which means it's time to get back to the range!  I'm super excited about this.  

Anyway, I'm ordering some new gear and I'm torn on ordering a holster that accommodates a TLR-1HL for my P320 x5.  What's been the trend for this at the matches?  

Thanks in advance!

KG

After a period of time after the CO rules revisions, a ton of CO guys in my club sported lights, some with tungsten batteries.  As of late last year nearly all stopped using them.

I agree with Archer, there are very few in my local area that are still using lights on their CO guns.  Seems that only the "Tacticool" guys are hanging on to them...

Posted (edited)

I like mine but it is on a fairly light plastic gun. If I was using a CZ, or a tungsten 320 I probably would not use one. I think really the only way to know is to try it a little bit and see what you think

Mine is just a stock tlr1, I don't use the heavy batteries or anything

Edited by RJH

Not needed on a full size weighted gun IMO but I like it on my CZ p10 compact for sure. Even with the 3 oz weighted battery though the difference is very subtle. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/8/2024 at 6:30 AM, RJH said:

I like mine but it is on a fairly light plastic gun. If I was using a CZ, or a tungsten 320 I probably would not use one. I think really the only way to know is to try it a little bit and see what you think

Mine is just a stock tlr1, I don't use the heavy batteries or anything

Yeah same here. I started competing with my main "defensive" pistol because it's what I shoot best and most often. a 4" polymer frame pistol needs a little help in the weight department. If i was shooting a steel gun, I wouldn't have the light on it.

WML is actually WMW - weapon mounted weight

If you like or need the extra weight, go for it. But it will limit your holster options and it will change the balance of the gun.  In divisions where guns can have any balance, people rarely choose to have their guns that barrel-heavy. But like everything else, it's very personal. Unless you think you can feel the difference in a substantial way, it's usually not worth tinkering with. 

• 3 weeks later...

A light can change the balance and harmonics of the gun. Shoot a drill both wants with and without see how both versions feel.

try like 2-3 bill drills on time for both back to back, then try 2-3 el president drills back to back then pull the light off and try again. 

see what works best for you. Some like lighter more nimble guns some like front heavy. Just try and see

Edited by Wrathen