Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rf 100 And Rheostat

Per the advise of the good folks at Dillon I had my electrician friend install two heavy duty rheostats for my two RF 100 auto primer machines. We found the primer motors to be exceptionally sensative to the rheostat. At first the motors won't move until the power is way up, then you have to turn the power way down to get those pesky small rifle and pistol primers to move properly. My friend suggested a ceiling fan rheostat. He said it may work differently with that type of rheostat since the electric fan motors work differently. Does anyone in the electronic field have the answer to this question? I'm curious and really want to get these units to hum along.

Also, Dillon informed me that Winchester is NO LONGER making it's own primers. They stated the primers are being farmed out to a foreign country and the quality has dropped. I can confirm this from what I'm seeing as the anvil heights are all different and the physical dimensions seem to be different without proper consistency. They recommended I try REMINGTON primers for the future. Does anyone shoot Remington primers and if so what are your experiences?

Thanks!

The RF's were designed for the original Winchester primers. The motor speed worked because of the specific weight of the primer. Since then, Winchester now has primers built abroad and the weight and quality of the primers has changed. Now, instead of walking the primers around the chute slowly, they spin too fast causing numerous problems with the feeding of those primers into their tubes. Dillon suggested slowing down the motor speed via a rheostat so you could "walk" the primers up to the tube at any speed.

HECK YES! That was one of the reasons I called Dillon about when we starting loading hard this winter. The newest sleeve (5K) of primers stink! Even when I called Winchester to complain I received the run around. I was told I could write a formal complaint, but no one would speak to me about the situation itself. The nice lady wanted to know the specifics of the sleeve, ie; the associated number, as I would suspect. I did not expect to be treated so abruptly and with such an attitude. I realize eveyone has bad days, however I always give the "kill them with kindness" ploy when calling to complain about something.

Either way, my Super 10, doesn't like the new Winchester primers both Large or small. The system just seems to have problems whereas before it worked seemlessly.

I ask again, has does anyone load with REMINGTON primers?

Sooo...If the Winchester primers are no longer the quality product we have come to expect - and the Rf100 is set up to work with the specific weight of the Winchester brand - which are no longer suitable. Why bother with the rheostats to make an inferior primer work? :(

Why not explore what other brand of primer weights the correct amount to work with the Rf100? :huh:

Because NO ONE except Winchester knows what the weight of the old primers is. We're talking miligrams in weight difference. Besides, Dillon says I'll need the rheostat regardless of what primer I choose. Dillon did make certain issues clear; NEVER use Federal primers, they are too soft and will go off in a progressive machine; NEVER use CCI, they are too crappy. Which brings us to Winchester or Reminton......and we all know the current status of Winchester.

I wonder if Winchester has someone reading forums like this?

Well, Durn! I just bought a Rf100 from a Forum member and I should have it very soon. Now I find that I need a rheostat...? Also I am trying to find a nice revo to shoot and I hear that Federal primers are a no no.

Dillon has an exemplary reputation as a vendor with superb products. If Dillon recommends a rheostat as being needed to make the Rf100 work properly - Dillon might be the one to find the proper item- and stock for sale...? IMHO

You may be right on that, Dillon has recalled my RFs to install new motors on them to slow them down. The rep there indicated the combination of the two, motor and rheo, may be the perfect solution to the primer dilema.

I think you'll love the RF! My large pistol one works great, but I had several sleeves of older primers. It's the small primer RF that is causing the problem.

Good Luck!

Mine's still loading tubes of recently purchased Winchester primers just fine, but now I'm going to have to start checking them.. :( Merlin, why do you hear Federals are a no-no? They load almost as well as the Winchesters in my RF100, and go bang a heck of a lot better in light-triggered revos.

Per the advise of the good folks at Dillon I had my electrician friend install two heavy duty rheostats for my two RF 100 auto primer machines. We found the primer motors to be exceptionally sensative to the rheostat. At first the motors won't move until the power is way up, then you have to turn the power way down to get those pesky small rifle and pistol primers to move properly. My friend suggested a ceiling fan rheostat. He said it may work differently with that type of rheostat since the electric fan motors work differently. Does anyone in the electronic field have the answer to this question? I'm curious and really want to get these units to hum along.

--- snip ---

Thanks!

Without a lot of geek-talk, you seem to have a basic AC motor that speed is set by the design of the motor and the frequency of the drive voltage. In this case, 60 Hz. The rheostat is just varying the voltage level. I worked with some motor controllers a long time ago but I am not familiar with the state of the art now so I don't know what to tell you other than the rheostat won't work but you already know that!

Later,

Chuck

Mine's still loading tubes of recently purchased Winchester primers just fine, but now I'm going to have to start checking them.. :( Merlin, why do you hear Federals are a no-no? They load almost as well as the Winchesters in my RF100, and go bang a heck of a lot better in light-triggered revos.

I just heard this in Post#7 - above. And from my reading of posts from the revo guys I understand Federals are a must for shooting with a light (decent) trigger... :huh:

Edited by Merlin Orr

I've used tens of thousands of Federal primers in Dillon presses (mostly in a 550, but have loaded about 2000 on a 1050), the only time one went off was when my brother didn't realize he had a case with a crimped pocket and tried to force it in. Federal's have always gone bang for me, can't say the same for the other brands.

Norris said it, if you don't realize you've got a crimped primer pocket. I know since getting my Super 10 I don't even look at the brass in terms of crimp, because I know I have the swager on the machine. With that said, the swager doesn't always do a perfect job for each type of brass. I shoot so much, I just tumble the stuff and throw it into the machine. I guess a lot depends on the type of loading you do and the quantity as well.

I haven't had a 500 machine in so long I don't remember what the primer system is like. Is it a rotary plate like the 650 or does it drop singles? When I did try Fed small rifle and pistol primers they were so dimensionally incorrect the rotary plate on my 650 didn't like them at all. Things may have changed, I'll have to look into it. But, my rep at Dillon said what he said.

Norris said it, if you don't realize you've got a crimped primer pocket. I know since getting my Super 10 I don't even look at the brass in terms of crimp, because I know I have the swager on the machine. With that said, the swager doesn't always do a perfect job for each type of brass. I shoot so much, I just tumble the stuff and throw it into the machine. I guess a lot depends on the type of loading you do and the quantity as well.

I haven't had a 500 machine in so long I don't remember what the primer system is like. Is it a rotary plate like the 650 or does it drop singles? When I did try Fed small rifle and pistol primers they were so dimensionally incorrect the rotary plate on my 650 didn't like them at all. Things may have changed, I'll have to look into it. But, my rep at Dillon said what he said.

Yeah Pro, the 550 has a sliding bar that picks up a single primer on every stroke of the handle from a verticle tube and places it (via the same bar) under the shell plate. The proximity of primer tube/ station one, is pretty far away.

Bronson7

As Dillon Precisions "Official" voice on BE.com. it is official company policy not to recommend modifying the RF100 primer filler. We use recent production Winchester live primers to test all of our current production primer fillers. We have no official confirmation of Winchester primers being made anywhere other than in America. All brands of primers tend to vary a bit dimensionally,usually not enough to cause any significant feeding problems.

The most common cause for the filler shaking too violently is the screw that retains the colored plastic feed adapter up into the underside of the filler bowl is too tight. Ideally, the plastic adapter should have about .001" or so of vertical movement, and be free to move side-to side. This adapter must be free to float and absorb some of the bowl vibration. The gap between the underside of the filler bowl and the top of the transformer is very significant to proper function, but not readily adjustable by the user. This also greatly affects the harmonics of the unit. If you are having a problem with a primer filler, we prefer that you call Dillon and get a return authorization and send it in for us to check out. There haven't been any recalls of RF100s, but anyone having a problem should contact us. Not feeding primers due to misadjustment is covered under warranty, even if over one year old.

There is no reason not to use Federal primers in our equipment. Federal primers are softer than other brands, and easier for revolver shooters to ignite after lightening the hammer fall. You just need to be non-abusive and sure that your equipment is correctly tuned when using Federal primers. With regards to the primer filler, Federal primers are usually slightly taller than most other brands of primers, and may require changing the "A" and "B" stabilizer plates to accomidate the height difference. :ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...

I'v been using both Remington and Federal primers in the RF100. It works 99,99% after a small mod made by the previous owner. The mod was done because the primers got stuck right before they were about to drop in the tube. A small piece of regular 80 gram copy paper made enough clarence for the primers to pass. Since this works as good as it does, I'v never found a reason to change it.

I've also used Federal primers in the RL 1050 since 2000. Last year I started using Remington because of a noticeable price difference between Federal and Remington. Never had any issues with either Remington small rifle or pistol.

even

• 1 month later...

WoW

did I figure out my RF100.

I first set it up last night, with major dissapointments. I use Federal primers, they are predictable and always light off. I poured a box in and pushed the magic blue button and NOTHING Hapened. They just sat there and vibrated. SO. I tried leveling the unit, and different places around the reloading/laundry room and the best performance I could get was to shim it up on two of the feet and it would take 6 cycles to fill one tube. THEN! I noticed that the vibrations were felt on my bench and thougt that was weird. So I tried the forum , read about rheostats and stuff and got desperate. I grabbed a piece of the bubble wrap from the conversion kit and placed it under the RF100 and it started to work, really well. So, I took a piece of foam from my Pelican rifle case, about 1.5" thick open cell, and cut a piece about 6" square and cut out for the feet and other protrusions and placed it under the thing and it ran like a raped ape! The tube would fill in about a minute. Half the time that dillon said it would take. I am going to grab a piece of 1/2" neoprene foam from work and try it tomorrow.

It seems that if you isolate the vibes from the bench, or if the feet were spongier, it works better.

-Neil

This question is for the Dillon guy or those who are in the know, There doesen't appear to be a motor in my RF100. just a magnetic coil. Like the one in a door buzzer. Right?

-Neil