Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can Atlas 9mm 2011 mags be tuned for reliable lock back with Grams guts?

Haven’t found an answer for this.

As the title says, can Atlas 2011 mags in 9mm be tuned for reliable lock back with a Grams FKS-11 spring and follower kit?

In other words can the follower position be tweaked low enough so that there is no premature lock back with one round in the mag?

Or is it not a battle worth fighting if you want your mags to lock back and to stick with the standard or +1 Atlas lock back follower?

if you want it to lock back, just use their standard follower. I use their competition no lock back mags and have no issues locking back prematurely. 

7 hours ago, jpm2953 said:

if you want it to lock back, just use their standard follower. I use their competition no lock back mags and have no issues locking back prematurely. 

This

Also, why do you want high cap mags to lock back in the first place? If its a USPSA gun and you are shooting it empty then you have way bigger problems to fix. If its an IDPA gun, then use the standard Atlas Lock Back followers as mag capacity isn't an issue.

Keep in mind that standard 140 or longer 2011 style magazines can and will get over inserted when slammed into the gun and the slide is locked back. This is a great way to snap off the ejector prong. If you are going to regularly reload to a slide lock state, then make sure that you are using base pads which come up far enough to act as an over travel restriction on the bottom of the grip/magwell so that the ejector doesn't get beat up.

• 3 weeks later...

In theory but I've never seen it work. If you want lock back I'd just get the follower that's designed to lock the slide back. You'll give up like 1 round in the mag. You have to decide what you want, maximum capacity or reliable slide lock. You're probably not getting both. 

I'll beat the dead horse here...

But yeah, they have both followers. Lock back and Race. You can just get the followers from their parts section if you need.

I think all 5 of mine are lockback and worked fine until I added the slide stop thumbrest to my Athena, need to replace all the followers now but haven't gotten around to it since I do entirely SCSA anyway so 20 rounds is plenty.

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, TheOneTrueAndre said:

I'll beat the dead horse here...

But yeah, they have both followers. Lock back and Race. You can just get the followers from their parts section if you need.

I think all 5 of mine are lockback and worked fine until I added the slide stop thumbrest to my Athena, need to replace all the followers now but haven't gotten around to it since I do entirely SCSA anyway so 20 rounds is plenty.

Why would you expect the lock back to function reliably when you are also using the slide stop thumbrest? Your thumb is on the thumbrest pushing it down so it CAN'T lock the slide back.

Use some common sense

Edited by CHA-LEE

1 minute ago, CHA-LEE said:

Why would you expect the lock back to function reliably when you are also using the slide stop thumbrest? Your thumb is on the thumbrest pushing it down so it CAN'T lock the slide back.

Common people, use some common sense

I didn't. It says very clearly on the description of the thumbrest that it disabled lock back, I was more saying that I'm still using the lockback mags despite the fact that I have it disabled.

Common people, use some common sense!